Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest rumble seat aka: Paul Garrigan - RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safari-wagon, Dec 18, 2013.

1. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Yesterday, I got one of those phone calls that I hate receiving, but seem to have become too damn frequent as the years go by.

Yesterday, Vern Holmes called to tell me that our buddy Paul Garrigan had passed away. "rumble seat", as he was known in several forums, was out for a putt in his beloved roadster & hit a lamp pole. It's believed that he was stricken with a massive heart attack as he went thru the intersection just before the crash.

Vern & Paul have been hot rodding & pal'n around for about 66 years, since High School (I believe). I owe a big debt to both of these guys, because they took time to teach me the ins-n-outs of vintage hot rods when I got into the hobby. Paul gave me authorization to publish his infamous Rumble Seat's Garbage Pile on the Singlefinger site with a "Go ahead, I don't give a sh*t..."

Because he could be gruff at times, I used to love teasing Paul & actually got some of the Roadster guys to start calling him "Grumpy" Garrigan. Ha! He would then try to ignore us & act like we weren't even standing there.

Paul was very active on the Ford Barn in the early years, was in the Denver Roadster Club since the beginning, & just LOVED driving the wheels off his roadster.

He is survived by his wife Pauline & daughter Janet.

GodSpeed "Grumpy". You will be missed!

Attached Files:

2. That is sad news.

One of hotrodding's true hard core heroes. Rumble Seat was the real deal.

May he rest in peace.

3. mtflat

mtflat

Paul was a friend, mentor and hero! RIP

4. Learned a lot from him......RIP Paul.....

5. Damn bummer news. I am thankful though that his flathead knowledge is all over the internet. Never met the guy, but his words taught this green horn a world of great info. Condolences and RIP

6. I never met the gentleman but have run across the username in the past,he was a knowledgeable man and I am sure his passing will leave a void in his friends lives.

Good Speed Paul. HRP

7. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Rest in Peace and condolences to his family and those who knew him. I never knew him but always enjoyed reading his writings. His legacy is in the hearts of those who knew him and, fortunately for those of us who didn't, his knowledge, wisdom and inspiring adventures have been well documented by The Rodder's Journal having printed his epic flathead '34 roadster trip and also because he took the time to write down a lot of what he learned and discovered in Rumbleseat's Notes:

http://www.flatheadv8.org/rumblest/intro.htm

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Never met him, but I have studied his tech advice for hours and it has helped me through MANY repairs. Sorry he is gone but he went doing what he loved, driving that roadster. Condolences to his family and friends.

9. I too read his adventures and wisdom he spread. RIP

10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

11. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Rest in peace. I will miss seeing you at the Appleridge Cafe, and all over in that roadster.

12. JM 35 Sedan

JM 35 Sedan

I learned a lot about the early Ford V-8's and the Ford Flathead engine by reading Paul Garrigan's posts on the old Fordbarn (prior to 2010) and on BillB's Techno Site. Fortunately, BillB has kept a lot of Paul's information on the Techno Site for anyone who cares to go there and read. He was also posting quite often on the Chevy Barn until that site was closed down.
    Rest in peace Paul...your valuable teachings will be remembered by many of us who enjoy these old cars thanks to your help.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  13. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Paul "rumble seat" Garrigan passed away doing what he loved most, driving his roadster on a sunny day.

He wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

His funeral service will be held today @ 11am in Lakewood, CO

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

A real loss for the community. RIP

15. WoW so sad...

I learned an amazing amount from Paul on the early days of Fordbarn and still lean on the knowledge even now.A true early Ford guy if there ever was one.

RIP Paul and condolences to the family.

16. flatcat

flatcat

Had the pleasure of meeting Paul a few times. Had a ride in the roadster and breakfast with him and a few of his cronies in Denver. I learned very quickly to keep quiet and listen and learn. Talking to Paul was like going to flathead school. He will be missed. RIP Paul

17. I met Paul on his epic "submarine" cruise up the east coast (rained most of his trip), got a ride in his "heap" and was pleased with his compliments on my '35. Sorry to hear of his passing.
    Richard