Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;you have Model Ts too!! Good grief!!!!! ROY.

2. SOHC427

SOHC427

I could bring you 2 or 3 if you would like?

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;I'm not into the "OLD" cars,I enjoy seeing them stock or modified,just not into building them!!I sold my 1952 Mercury Monterey last year,wanted one for 50 years,had it about 7 years,just felt I would never get to it,it found a good home,is already finished and on the road as a Mild Custom!!!!Between the house needing SO much work and keeping the Comet in Racing shape,I'm not sure when I will get back on the 65 wagon!! ROY.

4. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

A/FX Dave....I know this has been discussed before,but I'm getting brain overload and getting confused on the issues. Of the 1964-65 A/FX and B/FX Comets which ones did Stroppe build and how many of each?

5. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Stroppe built one 64 AFX Comet that was a early body that was made in 1963 & built a little Differant then the 21 that DST built. I don't know 64 BFX Comets were built by Stroppe, Analog Dog knows more then about that then me.
    Mercury had Bill Stropp build seven 65 AFX Comets, the first Comet was a "trial Comet" to see how it would fit with a SOHC, it was a early body, that was the AFX Comet that Dyno Don got. The next six AFX Comets, three had SOHC making a total of four SOHC Comets. The next two were Hi Risers cars, these first six were Mercury Backed cars. The remaining AFX Comet was a backup car, it had a "427 J Series Medium Riser. Later All the cars had there front end chopped off to get rid of Weight except the Chicago Land Comet of which was llater sand blistered and lput outside under some pine trees and rusted the body bad but the front clip was still intact. That AFX was Rebodyed, of the remaining 65 AFX Comets they were chopped up on the Rear section and the remaining Comet Not Tubbed is the "Arnie Beswick / Goldfender" Comet! As far as I know that's the story, I might be wrong in some areas but I don't think so. Put your input on this subject. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

6. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Dave...were the 65 B/FX Comets built by Stroppe and if so,how many?

7. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

8. Hey now.... Not all "Cops"..!! LOL

9. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I have been reading my (FACTORY LIGHTWEIGHTS) book from Charlie Morris. It states in there that he(Stroppe) built 15 BFX Comet Cyclones. It also reads that they weighed only 2600#s and 60 less if you installed an aluminum 4sd over the cast iron unit. Also states Doug Nash held low ET [email protected] mph......Al

10. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

If you count the Doug Nash BFX that would make 15 BFX Comets. They did weight 2600# that was without a Rollcage, the weight ratio was 45% front & 55% on the rear. Doug BFX Comet weight around 2300# it was cut up quite a bit, no Rollcage at all. I seen the Comet in the Alley at the Hot Rod Shop in Detroit. The heads were taken off the 289 engine and I looked at it. I had my machinest scale with me and I did some measuring, it had flat top pistons .030 bore and 2.87 stroke, with a Crane Roller Cam. Of course 4 Webers.
    In October of 1965 we were at Milan Dragway Racing Our 64 Falcon and Doug Nash had the BFX Comet there. Well he did a Match Race against a 65 Injected 426 Hemi Dodge with the shorten Wheelbase. I was at top end all I could Hear was that 289 coming down the track, Doug was ahead of the Dodge and beat him and once they crossed the finish line the dodge passed up Doug's Comet. I looked at the ET and the comet did a 10.60 ET, Doug Won!! That was the last time I seen that BFX Comet. ~~~AFX DAVE~~~

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Jody;I have to agree,not all cops are against some high speed hijenks!!!! ROY.

12. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Eric- I still have an abundance of Econoline axles. We 'could' play with one of the '65's!!!!!!!!! there still is a '65 roadster build, ala The Marauders Inc. that we still need to do in our lifetime!!!

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

I know one buddy of yours who is clearly not against it...;)

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

If you found a car with a caved in roof or something that would be a perfect excuse:)

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Eric: I was lucky enough to find an early econoline (circa 1963) axle to narrow for my 65, so we can swap ideas. I have all the necessary techniques' identified. I've also got a early chevy I beam axle for my 60 vette with a 445 FE put away.

Richard

Attached Files:

16. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Steve
    How many of the other Pflueger hipo 64 comets have you accounted for so far ??
    Hamps

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;there is a 65 Comet on EBAY,looks like it needs a roof,soooooooo!! Scott;I think I know who you are talking about!! I also have a good friend that is a retired cop.has a new Hemi Challenger,he had me drive it to lunch with him right after he got it.I was taking it easy when he said to "quit driving like an old man",it was ON then!!!! ROY.

18. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Pflueger ordered two groups of five 1964 Hi-Po Comets....five were Calientes and five were Cyclones.One of the Calientes still survives in Manoa ,Oahu and two of the Cyclones have survived,one in UT and one in IL. I may have located another Cyclone but am still doing research,Steve.

19. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Of the five Calientes only one has been found and accounted for....Of the five Cyclones three have been accounted for. The third Cyclone has been documented as disintegrating on the top end of the track and being a total loss and I may have located a fourth...I will keep you updated,Steve.

20. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

Steve,
    I wonder if the 64 hipo cyclones were all consecutive serial #'s and same on the caliente hipo group . I know our cars are 1 digit apart . As far as my 64 "b/fx" is concerned it was not a factory authorized drag car . Pflueger and Stroppe were friends many years prior to the comets and pflueger had him build both the 64 b/fx and 65 a/fx ( the 65 was one of the original b/fx's though) . Neither one are considered " factory authorized" drag cars . The 65 was factory authorized but not in a/fx configuration as it left stroppes shop but built by Stroppe none the less . Happy hunting for the rest of the 64 hipo's keep me posted .
    Hamps

21. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

The Calientes had a different 6 digit DSO than the Cyclones.I'm guessing that Cyclone 199,200 and 201 have the same 6 digit DSO and build date. Wish I could locate Cyclone 200 but it might be the one that disintegrated,or my research shows that one of the Cyclones went to the mainland with the military owner when he got transferred..I am also hearing from my Island contacts that there "might" be another Caliente on Oahu....

22. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

I saw one of the hipo calientes when i was stationed in hawaii . It belonged to Clayton Char ( Earle's brother ) . Earle took my brother and i over to meet clayton and see the car back in 89 or 90 . Is this the one you know of ??
    Hamps

23. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Doug was making some Horsepower wasn't he, even at 2300#s I'm thinking 450@the crankshaft! To have been there in the day like yourself and see hear and be part of that History.......Al

24. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Yes, Clayton sold his Caliente to a guy in Manoa...I am hearing that Claytons cousin might know where there is another Caliente....

25. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Borrowed from the Cecil County Drag o way thread.

[​IMG]

26. 65afxcomet

65afxcomet

I've got a few old photos of Claytons old car including a shot of transisterized ignition and hipo eng.

27. Should have brought it to me. After doing the verification I would have suggested you keep it ON the road!!

28. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mike:
    If you ever think about relocating,please consider my area.Up here it seems that car guys with badges don't really exist any more.
    Lots of young guys with tactical drop leg holsters wanting to read ya the riot act lately...lol!
    Hell,when I was younger I got pulled over in my Jeep by this big dude in an unmarked Crown Vic cause I got a bit of rubber out of the one-two shift...lol
    Anyway,the whole thing resulted in no ticket for me,him remarking that I could shift the thing pretty good (but to take it easy and slow down),then we proceeded to argue about wether his GTO could catch my Mustang (not a hope in hell ).
    Apparently those were the good old days in Sarnia Ontario...lol :)

Scott

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

That being said,I definitely don't wanna come off sounding disrespectful.
    You guys have just about the toughest ,most thankless job I could imagine,and my hat is certainly off to you.:)

Scott

30. SOHC427

SOHC427

Mike,

If Colorado would accept your paper work, that would have been great, plus we could have gone for a spin, to make sure it was road worthy!

Scott, I agree. That is a hard and thankless job, but a few of the guys out this way suffer a God complex, but other are great. Pretty much like most of the people in the world!
    No straight axle for me guys.... At least no yet.

Eric