Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Chicago Car Club - Compression Kings (plaque pic too)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Aug 11, 2013.

1. I showed my Mercury again at the little car show by my house (Retro on Roscoe) and an older gentleman always brings out a nice '57 Thunderbird. This time I noticed a car club plaque:

[​IMG]

I asked him about it and he said he and some other guys were members of this club in the mid 50's. He said he used to have a custom '54 Buick convertible. The man's name is Al Ehrlich, and I could try to get his contact info if anyone has questions. He told me there was another club around that time called the (dang I can't remember) Kings.

My Mercury:

[​IMG]

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. slowforty

slowforty

What day is the show?

4. Happened already.

I looked on O'Brien's site, they have this plaque on there.

5. As Pro Stock John said, I have the original Masonite and linoleum pattern used by Speed Gems to make that plaque. So if you find any of the old members (or decedents) that need a new, new old stock plaque please let them know.

Dennis

Original pattern:

Attached Files:

6. PS, seems they got plaques twice and changed their design. Wonder which one was the original??

Attached Files:

7. I'll see if I can get contact info for Al and talk him about the club history, maybe he be open to me restarting it. :)

8. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Quarter Kings?

[​IMG]

or Shifting Kings?

[​IMG]

9. I don't remember but I will call the local show coordinator and I think she will give me Al's info. I'll hopefully get a hold of him and get more info on the club scene back then, and see if he has any pics. I'm tempted to ask about re-starting the club because it was apparently all guys from the North side of Chicago.

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Please let us know if a decedent contacts you .....

de·ce·dent
    /diˈsēdnt/Noun
    A person who has died.

Synonyms
    defunct

:D:D:p:D:D

11. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Do you know what the P-L means on this plaque. Is that a certain area of Chicago?

12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Love those old car plaques..
    And nice Merc you have there !!!

13. Not sure but I could ask him (if I can get his number from Colleen).

14. Caught by the damn spelling checker again:(

So if you find any of the old members (or descedents) that need a new, new old stock plaque please let them know.

15. And here's another ____________ Kings for you:

Dennis

PS I'll make copies for any decadents that need one:)

Attached Files:

16. Fenders

Fenders

Attached Files:

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I don't think these guys look like car club people .....

But they are from IL.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  18. stimpy

stimpy

possibly Pilsen -lawndale a area southwest of the loop between western and cicero on 16th and 2nds streets ( area paralleling the eisenhower expy to the south ) , was a german- polish neighbor hood in the 50's , pilsen is the large hispanic Neighborhood , lawndale never recovered from the white flight of the 60's and is run down .

or it could stand for Polish-Lithuainian as we have the highest population of both . outside Warsaw .

19. Update - So I am going to email questions to Colleen who is coordinates the car show that Al was at. Now it also turns out that her husband Paul, who I have met before, was a member of the Throttle Kings.

So the questions I'm going to ask Paul and Al via email to start this process is to list the names of the car clubs, find out when and where they were active, and stuff like that. Paul still has his plaque too Colleen said.

20. Djjboj

Djjboj

The P-L stand for the street corner in which they used to hang out on I can ask my grandma exactly because my grandfather was one of the founding members of the shifting kings

21. Djjboj

Djjboj

Funny that I found this forum tonight too because just today I was talking with my brother to revive the shifting kings my grandfather was an original and was carried on by my dad and uncle
    It's about time me and him step and carry on the club

22. Rose West

Rose West
    from Illinois

P-L stands for Parker & Laramie… The street corner in Chicago where the guys hung out.

23. Rose West

Rose West
    from Illinois

Where did you find/get the Shifting Kings plaque???

24. Rose West

Rose West
    from Illinois

At the corner of Parker & Laramie, there was a church. We used to sit on the steps, or sometime go across the street to a drug store that we called 'Helens'.

Our meeting place, our hang out. P-L

A couple of weeks ago this group (and partners) got together for dinner. Over 70 years of friendship for the guys to went to school together..

We have lost a few, but most of us are still going strong.. A couple of the guys are still into old cars!!!!!

25. From page 2 of this thread, Dennis has the molds and can make the plaques.

Nice to hear from you Rose, any of the members remember which clubs were active and in what neighborhoods? I'm curious whether there were any big shows that folks went to and displayed their cars at.

26. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

OK ----Talking about old time Chicago car clubs ____South side of Chicago 1955 to 1965? or so. Name was the SHAUNDOS (supposed to means "customs" in turkish), had a drag plaque with a chopped 50 Ford convert on it. Any body know any thing about it? (the plaques were made by Warshawski, or who ever made plaques for them) BILL RINALDI

27. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

PM Sent.

28. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I have seven different plaques on our site for clubs named Shaundos, but none are from the Chicago area. One club from Van Nuys, CA was named that because of a singing group with that name or they used their club's name to name their singing group. I can't remember which is correct.

29. If you are going to start a list then add my dads club from that time period. They were called the Idle Wilds and he and his brother still have thier jackets and plaques which I can get photos for you if you need. They were in Park Ridge. My dad also has slides that are 3D that you use a special view finder to view of a show in downtown at the convention center which was like a world of wheels type indoor show.

30. Hey man nice car. I just moved to Chicago and opened a shop in big rock il. Just trying to get around and figure out the car and bike scene around here. Later!