Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where are they Now??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the car is now sitting in son John Smiths Alameda garage under a bunch of boxes waiting to be discovered. wouldn't that be cool?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. huh? why wouldn't a sedan delivery or wagon have been a better starting point?... guess that was all they had?

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A few years back, I bought a 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe right here off the HAMB/CLASSIFIEDS. I could't figure out why however, the rear interior to trunk steel panel had been cut out, and rather crudely. The only thing I could come up with was, the car was used to transport a small rowboat that would be placed in the trunk and pushed up into the interior of the car. We've since straighten out the appearance of what was cut out, and it will eventually be covered with upholstery, but I still wish it had't been hacked up the way it was. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. They started with "a burned out hulk of a '52 Chevy club coupe". No nice cars were butchered in the making of this.

6. autobilly

autobilly

7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

This one was built by Charlie Hall and his son in Tucson Arizona beginning in 1956. It is now in my shop until spring.
    John

Attached Files:

8. raymay

raymay

Where would we be without imagination and ability to create something the way we want or think it should be.
    I built mine for hauling too.

Attached Files:

9. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Nicely done. Looks factory. Did you start with a wagon?

10. autobilly

autobilly

11. raymay

raymay

Thanks. A little bit of factory look is what I was going for. I did start with a 2Dr 210 Wagon. You can check out an old build thread my buddy started titled "Pictures of my friends 1956 ElCamino". http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=399170

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Here you go Jay...

Attached Files:

13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Seems it was the thing to do,doesn't it?There are pictures of Dick's Studebaker with the kart in it.

Attached Files:

14. racer756

racer756

Well done!

15. Airhead Roadster

Airhead Roadster

Dick did that car justice in his restoration/customization and it was a great project to follow -from the find to him locating the original builder to his invite to show at GNR. Unfortunately it looks like the site that he once had that documented the project is down, but here's a pic of the Ute with the cart in haul.

Attached Files:

16. flamingokid

flamingokid

Somebody needs to find it.

17. oldthudman

oldthudman

Prelude to an El Camino

18. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the article and bring up the memories.

I remember a trip to Gallup NM back in the '60's and a guy's shop by the name of Pappy Noe.
    He had a Ute that he made out of a '56 Star Chief that looked factory. I remember drooling on it. Later he was displaced when US 66 was replaced by I-40. All the contents of his yard went elsewhere and as I recall there was over 200 model A Fords in his yard. To think of that now.
    Wonder where his Ute is?

19. its ugly but kool. I like it. talk to the guys on kustorama about it, the least they could do is come up with some more info on it

20. R&C RON

R&C RON

The Smith Family is still a very active Hot Rod Family in the East Bay. Here is a photo of the midget today..... still in the Smith Family in Alameda!

[​IMG]

21. Long before the American Auto Company's offered El Camino's & Ranchero's,,They Followed the the lead of the hot rodders & customizers. HRP

22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

The green Stude is awesome, particularly with that go-kart in the back.

[​IMG]

Here's a different one, with a Triumph on the back.

[​IMG]

An earlier pic.

[​IMG]

Like the green one, this truck also still exists. It has Hawk fins and yellow paint. Still badass!

[​IMG]