Register now to get rid of these ads!

New England Dragway in Epping. Got photos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2many projects, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Baron, great pics thanks for posting.

4. Church Key

Church Key

That is Don Roberts driving Jack Doyle's "Slider" AA/D

5. Church Key

Church Key

Marty Schwartz driving "1320 Engineering" The car was owned by Dana Jewel, Marty Schwartz and John Watson. This was the second version, the first car was a Chassis Research K88.
    In the far lane is Dick Smith, he was a mechanic at Fred Cain Plymouth dealership in Wilmington, MA.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. Church Key

Church Key

I had seen pictures of the 40 Chevy before, but did not know who owned it. A quick call to Ed Pearsons, he said it is Chuckie Sturick from Saugus, MA.
    The Dutchmans Goal is Wayne Zydema. The first time I had seen this car in person was at the Orange Dragway Reunion in 2010. I talked with the owner last summer and he said it is being restored.

7. Church Key

Church Key

Bob Steele's "Flintstone Charger" from Malden,MA. Up near the tree line you can see a funeral flower car passing by. That was the A&B Speed Shop tow vehicle.
    No ID on the sports car.

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jack. Looking at these old photos is great, but having the history that goes with them is priceless. I knew there had to be one with Don Robert's driving.
    I dropped off all the negatives I have yesterday to have them put on a disc, so I'll be posting more pics as soon as I get them back. Hard to believe these were taken 46 years ago.. seems like it was only yesterday. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. djbamber

djbamber
    from bandon,or

I remember first going to Epping in 1967. The following year the NED promoters ran the dragstrip at Norwood Arena. Sometime in the summer they brought in Art Arfrons Green Monster, and another jet car. They saved the jet car exhibition till the last run of the night. There were a lot of pissed off people awoken up at 11 pm in about a 10 mile radius of Norwood Arena. The track closed about 4 years later. After that night the town of Norwood was determined to shut down the track. It was quite sad, as I grew up in the town, and was really into racing, both oval, and drag racing.

12. Church Key

Church Key

The HURI-CAIN II from Wilminton,MA. I have seen this car restored in a magazine a few years ago...I don't know where in the country it is located, but it would be great if we could see at the NEHRR.

13. Jack:Chuck is still around and good friends with Ed Whyte.Bet he has a bunch of pictures himself.

14. Church Key

Church Key

If you talk to him...tell him to join the conversation here.

15. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

awesome pics Jack!

16. Sleeper_6

Sleeper_6
    from Mass

Haven't seen Chuck in a while. Keep up the old photo's !!

17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see him at all the Nostalgia meets. Eddie White brings him along with him. He and Eddie put a motor together and installed it in Chuck's 61-2 Corvette this past summer, but I don't think they have fired it up yet. Corvette looks great!
    Soon as I get the disc from the phots shop I'll be posting more pictures.

18. Church Key

Church Key

These are Baron's pictures...I have just been adding commentary.

19. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Baron, thank you for sharing the awesome pic

20. xdragnewsphotog

xdragnewsphotog
    from Loudon NH

Thanks for sharing all these great pics!! Brings back a lot of memories.

21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you guys like looking at these old pictures as much as I do. Still no disc back, but here are a few more I have scanned.
    [​IMG]
    Remember watching the top end from up on hill?
    [​IMG]
    Empi Inch Pincher that ran in the 12's
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

View from the pits is sure a lot different today (and certainly a lot safer).
    [​IMG]
    Hemi Bug taking down the cones going down the track.
    [​IMG]

23. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG]
    Here is the first version of the 1320 Engineering...The original version was built in 1960 by Dana Jewell, Barry Little and Jerry Bonazoli. In 61 Bonazoli dropped out and Al Harwood joined the team. Al Harwood would be the new driver starting in 63. By the end of 64 the car was parked when family responsibilties took more of their attention.
    In 1967 the car was put back into service this time with Dana Jewell, Marty Schwartz and John Watson, Marty did the driving. After a sucessful season, they bought a new Loghee Chassis for 68 and raced through 69.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  24. I drove that Boston Shaker Plymouth Satellite at the 1974 Funny Car Nationals at New England for Ivanof and Kunevich.

25. Great car, couldn't do anything wrong with this car. Won top gas at the 1968 AHRA Nationals at New York National.

This car was better to me than my first serious girlfriend...

26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the pictures Don. Great stuff!
    Picked up the DVD today, so here are a few more pictures of the Hemi Under Glass. Got to love the wheel stand back up the return road right next to the fans to wow the crowd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. loudbang

loudbang

Gotta love the old 5 yellow bulb tree. Now that brings back memories.

[​IMG]

28. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Great photo's and what a trip down memory lane.

I forgot all about the wheel standing cars from years ago. They always put on a great show for the fans and I believe they added a lot to the show.

Keep posting the classic photo's of drag racing history in the making.

Jimbo

29. Church Key

Church Key

I saw him do the same thing on the return road at Bakersfield about ten years ago . I was surprised that NHRA allowed him to do that...No one got hurt and it was fun to see.