Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting a license plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Nov 26, 2013.

1. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'd be doing a lot of homework before doing it.

4TTRUK

2. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I didn't ask -

Attached Files:

3. COOP

COOP

supposed to be original colors here in Mi. but no one seems to push the issue unless you're acting like an ass. ( not me, not never, uhn uh)

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Now here in Michigan they are going to require that you replace any plate that is ten years old, of course at a charge of $5. I wonder about YOM plates.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Kentucky has the best YOM laws. No charge for YOM usage. YOM tag doesn't have to be approved or seen by DMV. The only stipulation in the YOM statute is the tag has to be 25 years or older and has to be from KY. Nothing in statute as to color or originality.

6. I have seen a few already restored plates on cars at local shows here in Jersey. For myself, I have 2 different YOM plates (one for Michigan and one for New Jersey) that I have restored that I am still trying to decide on which one to use. My guess is that if you are painting the background to match the car Or spice it up (with flames or something) and the letters are a completely different color so they stand out, you shouldnt have a problem. Just so long as it doesnt look like a plate used in one of those new car commercials you should be fine.

7. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

hey belchfire8....they are. Hagerty just informed me that I need to reregister the YOM plate I've had on my '32 Chev since '94 to keep the discount. I sent a color pic of the plate per rules and they promptly OK'd it.
    MI colors for that year is white letters on a blue background. I think they leave up to Michigan's finest to enforce the color thing. My car is red and black if you catch my drift.

8. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

Note, if you DON'T repaint your plate and it fades out you can get a ticket for illegible plate.

jimmy six likes this.
  9. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

Im in michigan , my plate is a 1941 painted dark blue with white #'s - I have been told by a officer that the plate has a rust hole . What the heck its old like the car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Not only painted mine to match, but got a current personalized plate number to match the 1927 plate. CHP said they had no problem with the plate. However, he added that it was a good excuse to pull me over if need be. Plate is certainly in the system as I have picked up a couple of parking tickets.

Attached Files:

11. Aviator

Aviator

YOM plate in MS must be in original satisfactory condition or repainted/restored to original colors. State Tax Commission must approve. One time $25 fee.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. At one time they weren't too particular about what colors the YOM plates were but like any good thing some assholes abused it so now they are real touchy about it.
    I re-did some 1927 Michigan plates for a friend and the Secretary of State refused to OK it;said it needed ,"a bit more orange in the yellow base"! F**kin fashion police!
    Another guy I know sent in a pic of his plate to be authorized and they said it needed to be in color.He really got pissed because it was a BLACK plate with WHITE numerals!
    I've had my 55 YOM plates on for nearly 20 years and the only time I was ever stopped for them was when I was attending a car show in Iowa.Apparently YOM plates aren't legal there.Oh yeah and I was doing 75 in a 55 zone.:D

vtx1800 likes this.
  13. Did you paint them to match your car's color? ;)

14. I have repainted the ones I run here in the peoples republic of Maryland but they have to be the correct colors and they check

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This thread gave me an idea, always dangerous. I had one of those frames with the plastic cover kicking around, so I shot the plastic with rattle can metal tint. No too bad eh? Gets rid of that bright white anyway, and looks a bit like the 1938 plates I really want. Technically I haven't altered the plate, obscured it maybe..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

In NY it is against the law to put a clear cover over your plates. They claim the red light cameras can't get a clear picture of your plate when the camera flashes!

17. I just purchased a 1923 Arizona. I took it to the motor registration they said It was a good number , I informed them I was going to have it restored and they said "White background Dark blue letters and numbers"
    Terry aka dirt t

18. Yes Terry, thats what I meant. If you paint your 23 plate the way they want it, then got it approved, THEN painted it to match your car, cops MIGHT not say anything, but that doesnt make it legal.

If however, you took your 23 plate BEFORE getting it approved and painted it to match your car, they wont approve it.

19. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Paint your car to match the plate.

20. tjm73

tjm73

I know someone who not only painted his plates but cut up a few vintage plates to make custom vintage vanity plates that never existed. Came out pretty cool.

21. Great idea!

Uribe likes this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That must be some new steps in Ohio. I used to just make a black and white copy and send it in....
    I would simply wait until after I have them registered to paint them the color I want . :)
    No police will have a list of colors for each year plate.
    Just another stupid big brother law.

23. The original poster didn't say he was using year of manufacture plates. If he is using regular plates I'm sure you can't paint them in any state.

24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Had a friend here get a ticket for having a Dealer plate frame where the name of the dealership covered the "New York" on the plate. Cop said the plate was not visible, had another guy got nailed on his mud truck for having the front plate obscured by dried mud. So its one of those things that can get under a cops collar and perhaps these two would have gotten away with just a warning but at month end revenue enhancement time, its one of those things where better safe than sorry probably makes sense.

25. rtp

rtp

local Deputy sheriff stopped me one night . He followed me for 2 miles then lit me up for my blue dots. As we were standing at the back of the 48 olds he said he stopped me because of my purple tail lights ,as I looked down I said they look red from here,He got snotty ,starts telling me my tag (YOM 1948 N.C.) is in the system as a Harley motorcycle in another part of the state.
    So then I show him the up to date Tag that has to be in the car. He had to call in to check the rules. A few minutes later ,comes back askes me if knew where to find plates for his 63 ford pickup. oh and can I help him put blue dots in his tail lights.
    (just trying to bring another young guy back from import sickness)

26. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Bottom line ,check with your states DVM!! They know the LAW.

27. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

plym46, I had just the opposite happen. Before I retired I punched louvers in the rear plate on my Deuce roadster, they have only been on for about three months. Last month I was driving in the slow lane and noticed a police car in the lane next to me. As he approached my car he slowed down and pointed to the side of the road, pulled in behind me and lit me up. When he walked up to my driver side door he said "come back here". He pointed to my plate and said "whats with that, I couldn't read your plate when I was about to pass you". I said it's "just a hot rod thing". He asked where my front plate was and I said "in the trunk". He asked "is it louvered also", and I answered "no". He then said "if you replace the rear plate asap I'll let you off with a warning". Replaced it the same day, nice cop!

28. Same rule in Arizona.

29. V8-m

V8-m
    from Alaska

Hello guys,
    Which colours are correct for my 1932 Michigan plates?

Attached Files:

30. cfmvw

cfmvw

I once asked the Maine DMV about repro YOM plates to match my registration; they didn't see a problem, but I never pursued it beyond that. But I did have a repro European plate made for the front of my 1960 VW to match my Maine rear plate and never had an issue.