Register now to get rid of these ads!

Original frame or reproduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wicked customs, Dec 6, 2013.

1. wicked customs

wicked customs
    from canada

I've got a 36 ford 5w coupe. The car is beautifull but not happy with the the Frankenstein chassis and can't decide if I should buy a complete chassis from someone like tci or if I should find an original frame and build it up

2. river1

river1

My thought is to go with the one to get you on the road fastest. That said I don't see why you couldn't set a deadline to find an original at a good price then if you don't find one go reproduction. The repro will always be available if a original isn't.

later jim

3. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

there are a ton of variables there. can you afford to buy the chassis or are you on a budget. what's your timetable for the build or is it just whenever it gets done.

unless you've got something unusual you want to do and if you can afford it I'd just buy the new one--but that's me.

if it were ME I'd probably build one due to cost constraints.

not that that helps at all :)

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

If I had the money and that was not a problem I would buy a brand new chassis.

There are a number of reasons why I would do this and safety would be just one of them.

Jimbo

5. ThomasT

ThomasT

I agree with jimbo17, so many positive reasons for all new material and up to date materials in the new chassis. I would save the old chassis and maybe offer it for sale to someone as an upgrade. Good luck with your project.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those chassis's....
    Why anyone would suggest otherwise does not make any sense.
    Stance?..... those can be lowered if desired.
    Safety? Any brakes and drivetrain can be adapted,
    Steering ? Those stock setups are perfect. Response is great.
    Ride? That totally depends on your ride height adjustment choice regardless of which frame you use.
    Now if your frame is toast from rust or an accident that's a different story.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  7. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

is your chassis modified? or just bad repairs? if you have stock components, and price is a factor, why not replace the bare frame then re-install you components with new bushings and pins. If you want quick and sure fire and your budget allows it, an aftermarket chassis is nothing to be ashamed of.

I personally would try to go the stock route, but if your paying someone to do the work, just buy a chassis, even then the labor would still be light.

8. Frame options are not limited to a 36 frame and a reproduction frame.

The 35 to 40 frames are very similar so finding a suitable replacement shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand if you are looking for instant gratification and have the money....the reproduction frame may be just what you want. HRP

9. I gotta know what "Frankenstein" means to you first.

10. Maineac 1

Maineac 1

What is it that you don't like about your chassis that you think needs improvement ? Where are you in Canada ? What route are you taking with your build ? You will most likely get some offers of help if guys know what your goals are! Someone else may be looking for the type of frame that you have and don't like!

11. wicked customs

wicked customs
    from canada

I don't know what the frame is under my car someone has put a different frame under it. There are large wooden blocks between body and frame in different areas which says something ain't right. Also it has a donor mustang II that is welded in too low in frame so I can't really lower the car much more as well rear leaf springs have been butchered in and rear shackles hit the bumper mount the car looks amazing driving down the road but it bugs me that it's the wrong frame under it. That's all

12. Take a few photo's. HRP

13. Sounds like a really bad frame swap.

14. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I have a REALLY nice 37 chassis that's going up for sale, if you want to go original. It's out of an old resto.

Same chassis as a 36 except for a few brake hardware updates that came out in the 37 model year.

Sent using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. 35-41 car and truck frames being nearly identical gives you lots of options.

16. big bad john

big bad john

I agree....With 4 hotrod Fords ..the original frames hold up great..

17. Durability, availability, cost, time.

Durability is equal with a solid original. Availability is going to lean slightly to the reproduction because you don't need to hunt thru junk to find your solid original. Cost I believe will lean more to the original being cheaper. Finally time will lean greatly to the reproduction roller being faster.

So what do you have more of, which do you mind spending least, hours or dollars?