Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hand building a 1929 Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris@whiterhino, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

A few years ago I made the front window section of a 29 model A. I happen to still have the wood bucks and templates so decided I would build me one. As I was working on it I started playing with the idea of making it out of Aluminum. Then of course the ideas kept coming so I thought maybe I should video record it so I can tell people how I made each piece. The was on a 5 window coupe but I want to make a truck out of it. Please be patient as I can only work on it while I'm not earning a living. Below are pictures of what I started with before I started over. As soon as my video loads to the web I'll post that as well if anyone is interested.

Chris
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386133873.186177.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386133892.505966.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386133909.153706.jpg

Building handmade replica sheet metal one piece at a time.

2. Nice work. Usually when I see "hand building" threads, the parts dont even look remotely similar, but yours looks great.

3. anteek49

anteek49

Doing great. Build the cab with the coupe style cowl and door window height and it will look like it has a mild chop. Maybe stretch the doors a few inches to make the cab roomier. They are snug.

4. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

Thanks for the compliment. I should have some more done soon and I'll post more pictures. The model A that I pulled measurements from was in bad shape and it was 5 years ago. If I could find one local so I could get pictures would be cool but I haven't seen one around. I'll see about asking the local car clubs.

Chris

5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D This is looking interesting.This looks like a great learning experience for all of us.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

OK<
    I'm going to be a real jackass, and ask a stupid question, I've been wanting to ask for a very long time. Maybe you can answer it!
    First off I'm a custom, or Kustom guy, and have been for a very long time. Never really "got" the stripped down hotrod thing. Too uncomfortable, noisy, bare bones, raw thing..rather ride a Harley.
    I know a some guys build A's and such from scratch, even pro metalshapers, like Covell. My question is: if you are going through all that trouble to build a body completely from scratch, perhaps even building bucks, hammerforms, templates, etc.....WHY in hell would you just duplicate an old design, that there are a million out there already? Why not incorporate new ideas, streamline it, stretch it, smooth it, WHATEVER? Is everyyone out there really that much in love with those old bodies?
    In anticipation of criticism, again, I am a custom builder, always trying to IMPROVE the looks of old cars. I love them but always see a way to make them better. Can't help it!
    And yes, I know certain cars are iconic, and look good even today, but that doesn't mean they can't be improved upon.
    Is it lack of imagination? Just following the crowd? I just hate to see so much talent and time being put into something that, to me, is just another model A, for instance.

Sitting and wating for the firestorm...........

7. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I get what you are saying,a copy is a copy. Don't think your trying to be an ass,its a good question. Rob

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

To put a point on it, I am contemplating building a body or 2 from scratch, but one is a copy of a one off car, the other idea is from a friend, to build a modern version of an old coachbuilt French car. If I'm doing something that labor intensive, I want it to be unique, or close to it, and beautiful.

9. jkeesey

jkeesey

Theres certain lines on the original car that make it iconic and you don't want to change. There are other areas like stated the windows and stretching the entire cab that would improve it. This way the car would look like a custom Model A rather than a one off piece.

10. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

What are y'all thoughts of me recording me building each piece and explaining how I am doing it? I'll try to post pictures also but I'm one of those people that like I watch. If you are interested ill make the videos and post then to YouTube then link here. However I do t want to go through the trouble if no one is interested.

Chris

11. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

This is my point of view, yes a copy is a copy. However every car has it's own characteristics that make it the car it is. Change it to much then you can tell what it was. On this build I plan on having it look like a model A truck. We will see how it turns out.

Chris

12. interested! Not that I plan on doing the same thing, but I can steal ideas from you.

13. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Not a stupid question. Boyd's and Kugel's 32 roadsters were improvements on Henry's design. Or were they? Go too far with improvements and you risk losing what attracted you in the first place.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think the videos would be good for me.
    I think if you want to make it like Henry did go for it and if somone else want to make it different go for it. If we were all alike we would all be married to the same girl.

15. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

Here is the front window frame done in all 1/8" aluminum. I didn't grind any of the welds down. Instead I used a hand file because I have the greatest control I make it even. Also the scratches will buff out with a little work, they look deep but try aren't. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386276967.168424.jpg

Chris

16. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

Here are the lower cowl pieces. One is made the other is the flat sheet that will become one. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386277101.993035.jpg

Chris

17. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

This is the upper firewall piece that I've made. I use a wood buck to form all the curved edges. I could use the tipping wheel on my bead roller but I don't. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386277363.168797.jpg

Chris

18. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

I'm interested in your posting the build, you can never learn too much from other perspectives. Beautiful work.

19. I'm not going to give you a hard time. Everyone has their own ideas about things and yours seems to be kind of typical of the custom guys. Actually though, I would think it would be a lot harder to duplicate an existing design than it would be to do whatever the hell you want. In fact, I also think lots of people try to dramatically "improve" the looks of old cars but few succeed. It's apparently too easy to come up with something that is all original, but looks like ass. On the other hand, I have seen some customs that took my breath away because they were so bitchin...this coming from a hot rod type guy.

To equate it with the music business, it kind of reminds me of the bands that play only their own "originals." Most of them are real proud of themselves and love to talk about their fabulous "creativity" but unfortunately their songs are really, really bad and they hardly ever have a paying job. There are exceptions, just not very many.

On the other hand, it is a real art, in my opinion, to recreate an classic design while making changes that are subtle enough that they are hardly noticeable unless you really know what you are looking at. Besides, if we're into "traditional" rods and customs, how far can we stray from a factory design before it's no longer a traditional build? I definitely think you custom guys have more leeway in this respect than trad hotrodders, but it surely is not unlimited, is it? Otherwise, you would end up with something other than a classic custom or trad hotrod...maybe a street rod or rocket ship or something.

Enough of this! On with the build! Anyway, I'm not necessarily arguing your point, but I'm considering it and debating it a little maybe. But c'mon man, making a Model A, by hand, out of aluminum? Hell yeah, I'm freaking SUBSCRIBED !!

20. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

Here is on of the bomber seats I plan to use. I really like the look of aluminum and copper together. Even though his hasn't been polished out it still looks good to me. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386283067.409451.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386283097.904510.jpg

Chris

21. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

Ok that's all I got for today. I'll try to get more done tomorrow.

Chris

22. Nice job!! Looking forward to more.

23. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

You do some nice work.

I'm doing a similar all aluminum and copper rivet interior in my coupe.

24. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

That is a fantastic look isn't it?

Chris

25. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

Ok guys, please forgive me as this is the first video I've ever done. However please share, like and subscribe so I can keep them going. I'm not a camera guy or a lighting guy so I'm winging it hehe. I am ok with constructive criticism but please don't get rude.

http://youtu.be/qzO7krtk5jo

Chris

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Chris.This just gets better all the time.Keep it up.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

27. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I have a counter-question to your question.

What about Kustom Rods? You know, late 50's show cars like Chili's coupe, etc..

28. Chris@whiterhino

Chris@whiterhino
    from USA

Ok, getting this back on topic. It's 1 AM and I'm just finishing the video editing on this. I had no idea how long this takes. I literally could have most of this built in the time all this video editing is done..

http://youtu.be/f0vPIGcUeLM

Chris

29. great post m thanks

30. heminh2o

heminh2o
    from Tulare, CA

Just watched both of your videos. In a nutshell, AWESOME! All I can say.

So many projects..so little time