Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Here, we are Brothers...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

Maybe we should send them a humanitarian package of old parts....It's the brotherly thing to do.

3. Due to the United States embargo against Cuba established in 1960 we are prohibited to do business with the Cuban's.

I won't get political but these people a amazing at keeping the prized American cars running,,they may have a Russian engine in a 56 Chevy,. HRP

4. D-man313

D-man313

Cool to see all the old cars running around down there. Non car guys just don't get it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Politic's be damn! A hot rodder is a hot rodder is a hot rodder!! Wish I could go be with them.

6. autobilly

autobilly

A Cuban parking lot...
    [​IMG]
    and a Cuban street.
    [​IMG]
    Due to the embargo and poor economy, these resourceful folks keep these old girls running because the majority can't get new ones.

7. Viva La Revolution , Havana HAMB Drags 2014.
    Make it happen Ryan...:D

8. I went to the Jalopy Journal link, but can only open the first page, which ends with "Viva la hot rods".... Anyone know how to see the rest (It says there is a film clip)?
    A bloke fromk here went to Cuba for a holiday and was amazed at the choice of taxis at the airport (which were "proper" cars made before 1960), some re-powered by smoky Rusky diesels!

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing. I had no idea.

Didn't that "38" Ford looked more like a '32 Ford?

10. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

It's been customized.:D

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, I'll be damned...
    Commentator is a retard though, but hey, thats CNN.

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stuff.

Like the man said . . . "It is a sickness. I want to quit, but I can't."

Beautiful.

13. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Unity thru horsepower.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I caught that too. At least they found the time to post the story. Must have been a slow news day.

15. seatex

seatex

sounds like a good excuse for a cigar and rum tour?

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

And the "Lada" was a Moscovitch.

Very cool to see that they are racing their cars, though.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Gotta love their spirit. I've seen write ups of how they go to incredible lengths to save wasted old car parts that we routinely toss in the trash, such as welding up cracked heads and blocks, as well as fabricating parts from scratch.
    Poor bastards can't make curved windshields though. Notice the pieced together windshield on the 56 Chevy as well as the rear glass on the 53/54 @ .25 seconds-It appears to be made up of several strips of glass bonded together. Also looks to be a pieced together windshield on the 57 Chevy in the photo posted by Autobilly.
    I have a tri five sedan rear glass to replace the missing one in the 56 I would give to the guy if I only could...

18. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Theres a really neat documentary on netflix i think. Called "Yanktanks" these guys are truely craftsmen, amazing. the ways they keep these up and running is outstanding.
    If you go watch that documentary you'll see a fellow that HANDMAKES replacement trim, chrome, panels for classic american cars. They are damnfrigginperfect do to ever detail. Craftsman i say!!!

19. Just no end to the innovation the folks there have. They can't just buy stuff like we can. Also it's hot as blazes there! Earning disposable income is a feat in itself, yet they do it. Hot rodding ; the universal language! Wish I could send 'em my stash of tri 5 crap that's only ''so-so''. Bet it would get put to good use.

20. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

21. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hola. Echemos un vistazo. (Hi. Let's take a look see...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unos coches más para ti (A few more cars for ya...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

y por último pero no menos importante (last but not least)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mejor taxi cubano nunca! (Best Cuban Taxi... ever!)

[​IMG]

24. Great pics spooky two.

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Here are a couple of mine from a trip a few years back.
    I dont believe small parts are all that hard to get thru relatives in FL as well as Mexico and Canada these days.

The last pic is of what I believe to be an English Ford on a Moscovich chassis, so I was told...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  26. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

New to Netflix, did a quick search, could not find it. Was 'Yanktanks' on there a while ago, and it's gone now? I don't know if they rotate programming in n out of there or what....

27. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Hot rodders by need....too sad!!! The good part is that they keep'em running.

28. loosegoose

loosegoose
    from California

I was on a <a href="http://www.socalitpros.com">IT consulting</a> business trip to Cuba and noticed the vast array of vintage American cars that made up most of the vehicles in Cuba I was stunned and in awe o how well they managed to keep those beauties up and running.

29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Many years ago, on ChevyTalk.Org, was a posting about cars in Cuba. The "repairs" done on some of those cars was impressive. 58 oldsmobile 4 door hardtop with a worn out front suspension, so they put an I-bean axle under it; Cuban Gasser I guess. Another was a 56 Chevrolet with a 4 cylinder diesel engine and the truck transmission it came with. Some of the cars are almost restorations, while others are just "use whatever to keep them going". As far as the drag racing, there had to be several thousand people at a race than would be a little less than a weekend bracket race here. We should have those kinds of crowds. I did a GoogleMaps.Com of Cuba to look at the airstrip they were using; there are more than a dozen airfields in Cuba; most of them unused military airfields left over from WW II and before, and look to be in pretty good shape. I think we need to get a Canadian HAMBER on board to send the guy with the 56 Chevrolet a real hood and windshield/back glass. The embargo needs to go, IMO. It is after all, about the people, not their government, which will slowly fall apart after Castro and brother Raul are gone anyway. I worked with an Orderly in our Radiology Dept. that was Middle Eastern in heritage, born in Canada, became a USA citizen, but went back to Canada with some friends for a trip to Cuba. He went on to Med School at the U of W School of Medicine. He brought a lot of photos back, all I can say is, they sure like bright and multi colored buildings. The people all "seemed" happy. Butch/56sedandelivery.