Register now to get rid of these ads!

300 cu. inch big six in a 1953 ford pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mtphammer, Nov 25, 2013.

1. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

Ok so I've decided i want to put a big six in my truck project. There are no real threads on how to put one in a truck like this and was hoping you guys could help. I will also be using a ZF five speed transmission behind it.

Brute strength and ignorance can overcome any mechanical problem. (not)

2. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

So I've got 1953 ford f250 and I've decided to put a big six in it. Only one problem; I haven't found anyone that has done it or found much information on how to do a swap like this. Anyone do somthing like this? Any info would be helpful. I plan on putting a ZF five speed transmission behind it as well.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

You are going to run into 2 problems that I can think of. The first is the length of the motor may require some finagling of the radiator mount or even the firewall. Not the end of the world, but soemthing to be aware of.
    The second is that monstrosity of a transmission. If you are completely replacing the floors, then you can run it, as you will have to make a new trans cover for it anyways. If not, I would look at selling or trading the ZF for a M5R2 out of an F-150. You won't need the torque capabilities of the ZF unless you plan on seriously building up the 300, and the M5R2 has much better gear ratios. There is a great thread on here were the owner put a 300 into a '52 F-1 dually flatbed. Trying searching for that.

Good Luck

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

The 95 Fuel injected F150 300s had real nice factory exhaust manifolds on them. Id find one of those old 4 speed OD transmissions that came mostly in Vans with the 300 6 engine myself. Not the best performance ratios but nice cruising down the highway

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. Bart78

Bart78

How much room is there? They are long. I wanted to put one in a 66 bronco I have. But it won't fit without cutting. So it got a Cummins 4bt.

7. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

It will fit without any cutting. It is tight but fits. I had to cut my firewall at to make room for my blower cog on the front of my 300. Question is what type of front suspension are you going to run???

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

It'll fit. Probably with room to spare. I put one into a model t coupe with a stock frame! Keep looking on HAMB there's info somewhere & check out FordSixPerformance. They are very knowledgeable on the 300 six.

9. Bart78

Bart78

How far did you recess the firewall on that model t. The 300 block is around 29 inches. And that's just the block.

10. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I think from water pump pulley to bellhousing face it was 36 or 37 inches. Techniquely, I may have cheated. I moved the body back six inches on the frame & I removed the stock firewall. I just wanted to encourage him that it cuold be done.

11. Bart78

Bart78

Anything can be done. Some of its a pain in the ass though. The 300 is a great engine. Ford screwed up doing away with it. For a swap like this. You need the room for length. And for depth. When I did my bronco. I should have just gone ahead and did the 300. And not the cummins. It turned out to be more work than it was worth.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think the mid 70s and up van water pump and pulleys are shorter then the 70s on back truck and car parts,I was looking at those parts in my 95 f150 and they seen to be short too but serpentine.

13. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  14. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

I will be running the original front suspension for quite awhile after I perform the swap. Going to the local junkyard tomorrow to look for a motor and transmission.

15. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385775252.505656.jpg
    Picked up this motor today for $250. It's out of a 1990 f150. Will be putting a Offenhauser four barrel intake manifold on it later. Going back to the junk yard tomorrow to pick up the 4 speed overdrive transmission.

16. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello, if that is a FI engine you might want to get carburated head for it. The 300 is a great engine but it needs to be "built" for what you want to do with it. Every hour worth of planning & research you do now will pay off big in the end when you get an engine & driveline combo that gives you what you want. Got any pic's?

17. Rob68

Rob68

I'll be watchin this one. Was contemplating this swap into my 58 F100 someday.

18. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

Thanks for reminding me to do my homework before impulse- buying the transmission to put behind my motor. I seriously contemplated in putting in a "top loader imposter" behind it before researching about it and finding out that it would last to long behind a torque-happy motor.

19. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Nice score, and the split exhaust manifolds to boot. The Offy 4 barrel dual port intake is great for a street motor. The motor would of had either a M5R2 5 spd manual or a AOD 4 spd auto behind it originally. Both of those trans would work great in your '53.

I built this 300 a few years ago for my shop truck, great motor and fun to drive.

[​IMG]

20. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

What is the difference between the EFI and carb head,I have a 95 300 that is in my rust beater truck I would like to use in a future project.

21. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I don't remember everything off the top of my head, but the big thing is the valves are shrouded more & the combustion chambers are shaped differently having to do with fast-burn characteristics for EFI. These differences start playing a bigger role when it comes to machine work or bigger valves. As far as just bolting up a carbed intake & regular distributer to an EFI motor & running it I don't personally know how it will run I've never done it. The carbed head will have two less exhaust bolt holes ( 13 holes) than the EFI head (15 holes) because of the dual exhaust manifolds but the EFI exhaust will swap to a carbed head with small little homemade spacer brackets. I also think there's a copression ratio difference between an EFI 300, a carbed 300 & a 240 depending on chamber size. It depends on what you want to do... Carburated, FI, turbo, or supercharger. The best thing to do is go to Fordsixperformance & start reading. I want to finish mine & drive it, so I can have some first hand knowledge not just what I've read.

22. spooler41

spooler41

My DD is a '93 F150 with a 300cid. inline 6/FI and a 5 speed. I generally get about 17
    mpg overall. If I was going to do a project like yours ,I'd use the entire set up from the
    '93, it would make an exellent power train swap.

.................Jack

23. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I am not 100% certain of this but I thought I had heard correctly that the FE aftermarket crossmember for one of these trucks will also work with the 300 CID engine.

I have a '55 F100 with an FE in it.

My friend, Fordman75 on here was doing a build with a 300 in a '54 F100. He is incredibly knowledgeable and might be worth trying to track down with your questions.

Jay

24. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

Thanks for all the replies guys I really appreciate it. Just want make sure that the Offenhauser dual port intake manifold will fit onto my later efi motor without many hiccups before I drop $260 on one. Anyone done it before?

25. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It will fit fine.

26. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

Well no progress made but I have learned a lot from my daily research. I now know which size and thread count bolts or plugs I need to plug the thermactor holes in the head since I won't be running any emissions equipment. The size is 9/16 by 18 by 1/2" for those of you who wish to do the same. Here are some pics of my truck to keep you guys interested: ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386036511.715535.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386036589.050473.jpg

27. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

More pics: ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386036663.628192.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386036691.800136.jpg

28. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

29. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I looked into this for my build at one point (Model A rails though). There's a "Ford FE Series Big Block Motor Mount" out there for about $50 that I was going to use. I think there may be a direct fit set of frame adapters out there for this swap as well. Check on Fordsix.

30. mtphammer

mtphammer
    from Fresno

Ok definitely will look into that mount. I am on an extremely tight budget though and have access to a plasma cam at my high school so probably will go that route. Got some more progress done today as well. Had glass pulled out, took the doors off, and pull the steering column. Now it's ready to be sand blasted and primered! (Except I'll have to take the cab off first) ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386122966.729326.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1386122985.501957.jpg

Attached Files: