Register now to get rid of these ads!

Acrylic enamel chipping easily?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldrelics, Nov 30, 2013.

1. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

My 3 month old acrylic enamel seems to chip fairly easy, like when I bolt something on or dropping wrenches. Is this just the nature of AE or do I have adhesion problems. I used poly primer sanded with 320. Sealed with epoxy and shot AE after 1hr as per instructions.

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

no ideas guys?

3. 5559

from tn

too much hardener???

4. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

POLY primer is THICK!Ideally all coatings should be a minimum mil thickness the more material the easier it will chip.

5. builderforu

builderforu

Can you determine what layer is chippimg? Color off the epoxy or epoxy off of primer. How long was primer applied to parts before being coated?

6. Not sure of the brand you used. But poly primer should never be sprayed over like that. It need to be primed with a good 2k surfacer. It is nothing more than sprays le body filler. You wouldn't paint over that right?

But I have also seen chipping issues with AE.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Everything was mixed according to the instructions. Proper temps/reducers used. I think the color is coming off the epoxy. Its not a typical poly, its a hybrid (evercoat Finishsand). The poly was dry for months, the epoxy said you can spray color after 30 mins and no later than 7 days.

8. was it Sherman Williams I use it once and never again for the same reason