Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any suggestion on how to repair carb linkage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r0ckstarr, Nov 1, 2005.

1. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr
    from Houston

The plastic and rubber bushings are wore out on my linkage where it hinges to the carb. It has excessive play and wobble at the hinging point, and its not alloing my downshift switch for the switch pitch to activate when I let off of the gas. Anybody have any ideas, fixes, or how to on repairing or replacing these bushings? Any home-made ideas? I cannot find the replacement parts anywhere.
    I used this pic to show exactly what part of the carb linkage im talking about.

[​IMG]
    (this is not my car, just a pic i borrowed for reference)

Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

hmmm....the 65 Buick I used to have had play designed into the bushings to allow the switch to activate.

this is a pic from the Skylark/Special manual, so it's probably different from the Rivvy...can you take a pic of your setup and possibly show us what the worn parts look like? any suggestions would be just guesswork without more info.

3. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr
    from Houston

Actually, mine looks identical to the pic you posted. If I can find my camera, I will take a pic of the bushings. I just pulled them out to see what I can do.

Mine has so much play that no matter how I adjust the switch, it still will not hit it.

4. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr
    from Houston

I cannot find my camera. Its one of those few items that came up strangely missing after the evacuation.

But, I fixed it. I took the throttle rod off and looked at it. I was going to attempt the cheap route and just squeeze the fork together a little more at the clevis pin, but mine was perfectly straight and I didnt wanna screw that up. So, heres what I did. I looked at how much play was between the rubber bushings and the throttle rod. I used a feeler guage and measured that play. I then went to find a washer with the same thickness. I ended up using a copper drain plug washer. It was the perfect thickness and diameter. I slid it on with the bushings, put it all back together and re-adjusted the switch. Took it for a test drive, and it sure does haul ass a whole lot better. Now it shifts from 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 on its own while slowing down, rather than me having to make nearly a complete stop for it to downshift on its own.
    Thanks for the pic of the diagram!

5. squirrel

squirrel

good to hear you got it going again...I kind of figured you might once you got into it.

6. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

if its the bushing all I ever did was find a chunk of windshield washer hose or something close that fit in there and cut it to length and squeeze it in reassemble and go