Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical American magnesium wheel question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodtim, Nov 25, 2013.

1. hotrodtim

hotrodtim

If anyone on the HAMB knows anything about Original American Magnesium wheels from back in the day! I have a question about how they looked when new. I would like to know if the 5 spoke magnesium wheels came with a light gray paint or coating on the spokes when new? And the lips and everything else was machined? The reason I ask, is that most all magnesium wheels seen today are either corroded or turned that patina color or polished out. I recently saw a pare of NOS 5 spokes and the spokes had a light gray spray paint on them front and back. I had never thought about them being painted or coated. Does anyone know if they all came this way or just as a customer request? Thanks

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I've had a few sets and seen a bunch more, some even with the foil stickers still on them. All were raw cast with raw machined surfaces. Halibrands on the other hand could have come dow coated with a gold finish.

3. Tony

Tony

I'm by no means an expert on them, i can only describe what mine are like.
    Both front and rear's on my coupe were original and untouched as far as coating etc.
    The front 15x4's had a unique etching around the semi polished lip. 3 roughly 1/16th" rings very close together. They absolutely look factory.
    I have no pics on my phone which is what im on now but can upload a pic later if you want to see what i'm talking about.
    I've had 2 full sets of original magnesium American 5 spokes and both sets were raw mag in the centers with polished (not super high polished though, more of a machined surface)
    outer lips.

Tony.

4. I had a set of polished magnesium wheels on a 39 Chevy coupe that I built back in the early 60's As I remember I had to pay extra to get the polished finish from the factory and had to wait something 3 months to get them. As I recall the standard finish was raw cast but I wanted something different. I don't have any close up pictures but this is the car from a distance.

[​IMG]

5. PA Gas

PA Gas

I have had several pairs of 15x4 fronts that the spokes were painted black.

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While alot of them ended up with painted centers; I believe American only offered them as cast or polished. I have an original ad somwhere , with them touting their virgin metal use in their alloy; not needing paint on them unlike their lesser competitors. Just my ameteur opion.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Might have been a slightly different alloy. I polished some Americans up once and could only keep a pile of the dust sparking with a constant flame. People with Halibrands say that dust will flash with little more than a spark.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

First ones I had on my '57 Chevy back in the 60's were as cast with machined lip.

9. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

10. hotrodtim

hotrodtim

Are there any other wheel companies that made the Magnesium American type 5 spoke wheel? I never heard of any other companies doing this except the newer Co. Called Vintage Engineering! And how close are these to the original American Mag. Wheel? Thanks

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Romeo Palamides made those wheels before American bought the concern...

I bought a set in 1962, had them delivered to my Grandma's house in Santa Clara.
    They were clean cast magnesium, with the outer rim facings machined smooth. (no paint or coating)

They came in 4 separate boxes, one of which contained a typed note:
    WARNING: IF USED ON STREET, THESE WHEELS MUST BE REMOVED AND X-RAYED EVERY 60 DAYS FOR CRACKS.

Scared the hell outa me.

So, I replaced my reversed-and-painted '50 Mercs with these American Torq-Thrusts.
    Drove my cool '46 Ford Club Coupe thru the drive in, most of the guys said, "Ugh! Lose the tractor wheels, put your Mercs back on!"
    Only took a short while before everybody loved 'em...

12. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Ronnie Roadster here on the HAMB, or go to roadsters.com

Taildragger&fenderless

13. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

I have a 15x8.5 uni lug (big chevy / small chevy ) bolt pattern 5 spoke ANSEN SPRINTS MAGS from early 70's .All one machine polish look , removed them from barn find in the early 80's .