Register now to get rid of these ads!

History History (and Build) of Just Steve's 1932 Ford Three Window

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Johnny99

Johnny99

Thanks for sharing a great story! Really nice the car stayed with the family. Hope everybody has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

John

2. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks, Looking forward to the helping hands, and will be calling in some favors;)

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

Tman, now you have to share the story, because the valve covers are not saying a thing..

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks Dean, you'll have to come up and check it out...in your new Roadster?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. I will when I get a chance. Busy week here with family and all. :)

6. Terrific story, I'm sure your brother would be pleased with what you are doing with the car.

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

This is EXCELLENT on all levels!!!! I can't wait to see the progress. Your brother would be so stoked. Good work, Bro....

8. Very cool. I remember the story when your bother got it because I got a chuckle out of him calling it a "Nailvalve".

personally I would like to see it stay full fendered, for two reasons. One it was that way in it's original incarnation as a Hot Rod and Two it has managed to keep it's fenders all these years. Full fendered cars are much harder to get right than Hi Boys and that just makes them that much cooler!

9. Bader 2

Bader 2

Cool that you're leaving the paint,there only original once! Definitely fenders look more graceful.sorry about yer bro,shitty way to get a new car,just do him proud.

10. Sorry for your loss.
    You are doing your brother proud.
    It's getting to hear stories like this that make the HAMB such a great place.

11. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Neat story! I'm sure Steve would be proud and happy.

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Subscribed and looking forward to updates!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Great story and a great car! Looking forward to this one.

14. Sorry to hear about your Brother, but stoked for you that you got his car! Fenders are a no brainer, this build will be good :D

15. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I'm sorry about your brother. I'm glad the car stayed in the family. Do the car right in his honor. Good luck on your build.

16. Rusty

Rusty

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Over the years I always wondered what (if anything) had ever happened to Steve's deuce. I'm so glad it ended up in your garage. I can't wait to see it once you get it going. BTW, it definately looks best with fenders. Good luck and keep us posted!

18. F&J

F&J

Eric, I am a bit confused with this:
    If the red transmission is yours, and not a pic from someone else...then it already does have the Olds conversion. It also seems to have the "longer Olds input shaft".

It will only take a spare half hour to tell if that input will work;.... bolt the Buick bell up to the motor you want to use. You don't need a flywheel or clutch to tell if the Olds shaft is too long; Just bolt the bell on, then measure from the trans mounting surface to the start of the pilot bushing in the crank. Then measure/compare to that input shaft you have.

A few other things related: You will need the TOB sleeve/bearing retainer, sometimes called "candlestick". There are 4 different ones from GM that I have seen, so don't buy one by looks alone.

Also, because the 1/R shift rail protrudes out from the face of the 37 Buick trans when in first gear, there is a hole that needs to be drilled in the later Buick selector type bellhousing. I drill right through, and use a cup type freeze plug pressed into the bell so oil won't weep. All of these type GM transmissions need a full face gasket on the trans face.

What a great car. and great pieces.. I am also an Edmunds admirerer :) I know I have never seen those Buick/Edmunds parts your brother found.:cool:

19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

are the front tires 5.00 or 5.50's?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Neat car, sounds like you have the right plan for it!

21. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for sharing the story of your brother's 3w. Following his vision for the car is one of the best ways you could honor his life and passion for cars. I'm sure you won't be able to take so much as quick trip around the block without remembering him. Be sure to post any progress on the car.

Frank

22. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I remembered when Steve showed his coop find in Rodders Digest. I was jealous as hell. Too bad his life ended way too short. I always wondered what happened to the coupe after his death. I am glad it will stay in the family. Keep us posted !

23. mickeyc

mickeyc

Thank you for posting these photos. The body detail structure shots will be most helpful to me as I am replacing the subrails in my 3 window at this time with some used originals.

24. AHotRod

AHotRod

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures, family first!

25. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Good luck getting it back on the road. I sold your brother the '40 column, steering box & wheel which came out of the car in my avatar. Can't remember if I had made the connection thru a wanted ad here on the HAMB or from somewhere else. Always enjoyed Rodders Digest, I still have all of them.

bluestang67 likes this.
  26. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

Roadsir, i never knew that steve was your brother.

I am 34, and i was reading Rodders Digest as a kid when i stole them from my dad in Junior high and High School. I always loved Gerry Burger, Mcwhirter and Hendrickson and the way they wrote together, made fun of each other in the articles, and in general just had fun. I got to see them once at Americruise in Peoria Illinois with the famous Delivery and all in 94.

That magazine had a HUGE role in making me the car guy i am today. I have collected all the back issues and its one of my favorite things.

I always wondered what happened to that 3w. I knew it came from Minnesota and i remember reading all about the find in the magazine, and then just kind of fell off the earth.

It is awesome that you were able to keep the car in your family.

27. A Boner

A Boner

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

most excellent.

29. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hey Larry,
    You forgot to ask about tire sizes front and rear!

I wanna know, too :)

Michae.l

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The car went to the right person. Great story and car. I am 73 and remember the find as I had a 3 window at the time that was in similar shape.