Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mig wire questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Is there a difference in the actual solid wire (w/gas)? HF cheapie rolls Vs. better made? What difference would I expect and what wire specifically do you prefer? Also, what wire thickness for all purpose welding by an amateur? THX

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Are you talking flux core or solid for MIG?

If flux core, I'll tell you right now from experience that the HF flux core spatters a LOT. The Lincoln NR-211 Innershield is much better and you can get it and Lowe's or Home Depot. Both will give you functional welds.

3. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

Of course Lincoln say to only use Lincoln wire in my welder. I would steer away from HF wire and get wire at welding supply store. It may say ER70S-6 but is it really?

I like to 0.023 up to about 16 gauge for but weld. Then thicker wire for thicker stuff. I only have a 120V welder so I don't go too thick, right now I have 0.023 and 0.030 wire on hand.

One way I think of it, given the same welder settings, thinner wire will run cooler and penetrate less because it melts more easily. I noted this when trying to butt weld 16 gauge exhaust with 0.030 wire. It was a challange not to burn through it, even on a low setting. Swiched to 0.023 and worked flawlessly with full penetration. You could lay a bead on a thicker piece of metal with 0.023 but you won't get the depth of penetration as you would with thicker wire.

4. solid (w/gas)

5. Welding wire can be very tricky! I've used HF .023 wire and not had a problem, next roll wouldn't weld worth a shit. I've had the same problems with Lincoln wire. One time at work we had a whole shipment of Lincoln wire that no one could get to weld smooth, shipped it back, got a different lot number, worked fine. Where do you suppose those 20 barrels (450 lbs/barrel) went after they were returned?
    My advice is to shop around and find wire that works well on your machine. What might work for Joe Blow, might not work for you.

6. I went to my local welding supply store to get better wire than the HF stuff. Reading the labels I see that they were all made in China, for what its worth....

7. I have a Lincoln 300 machine and use .023 and .035 on thin and thicker metal respectively. I've been using Hobart wire with no problems. Something I learned the hard way about wire in a hobby machine is to use smaller spools as a large spool will get small rust and dirt spots on it over time and mess up your feed mechanism.

8. HMMMMMMM, interesting. As a hobbiest my wire might stay in my weldor for a couple (or more ) years

9. Hates Chrome

Hates Chrome
    from Iowa

Not all ER70s-6 are created equal. There's actually different formulas that work out to be the same rating. Different cleansers, different amounts/types of silicone, etc. If you're using HF wire now and switch to a quality brand, you'll never go back.

As a industrial fabricator for a living, I can easily say that Hobart wire is the best wire I've run, HANDS DOWN. Lincoln coming in a close second.

There are also differences in the rating. ER70s-6 being a general purpose mild steel wire, ER70s-2 being more commonly used for molly, so on and so forth.

~Via Mobile

10. Actually the HF wire is made in Sweden I believe

11. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I just bought two spools of Lincoln wire, made in Canada!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

We use .035 for 3/8" up to 1/2" plate. But this is a class room environment.

13. primerhotrod

primerhotrod
    BANNED
    from ILLINOIS

I wouldn't use anything from HF. If its worth buying once, its worth buying quality.

14. Some of the smaller spool ER70S6 wires are flat wound on the spool and seem to me to run a little smoother in my 1973 Miller 35 than the larger spools. The larger ones seem to have a little inertia effect in this old machine. Biggest thing I've noticed with MIGs is if you keep a relatively new tip in the gun, it works much better.

15. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I'm not going to bash China Freight. their tools and consumable have a place. I will say, though, that if you get a bad batch of lincoln or other name brand wire at you local welding shop they'll probably know about it and take it back and exchange it with little or no hassle--not sure how HF is no consumibles.

16. MP&C

MP&C

If you're welding body panels, try either EZ-Grind or ER70S-7. The EZ grind is designed to be softer for easier planishing and grinding. The ER70S-7 has better wetting properties than the -6, so it lays flatter for less grinding, and is also a bit softer as well, so it helps out with planishing and grinding.

17. 29moonshine

29moonshine

here in west fla it is cheeper to buy at my welding supply house than it is at hf. by 4 $

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use .030" wire for most of my welding. Even thin material like 18ga.-20ga. seems to weld fine with it. I've used every brand of wire around from HF to Lincoln, and many others. I honestly didn't see any difference, and HF wire wasn't much cheaper than good wire, unless it is on sale. My local welding supplier is closer than HF, so I buy Miller wire there, and it's only $1 per 10 lb. roll more than HF. I use ER70S-6 solid core wire.

19. NAES

NAES

I did a little research on this very subject. The Lincoln stuff at my local Home Depot is great for the mild steel that I'm sticking together. The HF stuff I'll stay away from after my little education.

My .02, NAES

20. williebill

williebill

Late joining this thread, but wanted to tell my experience with Weldcote wire from the biggest local welding supplier. It's ER 70S-6 mild steel, and it's the worst wire I've ever used. Won't weld, won't run, burns with a green tint. Tried to make it work for a rush, favor deal for a buddy needing a trailer hitch modified. I've begged him to not use the hitch, and let me do it over.
    The guys at the welding supply house are usually first class, and they're getting this spool back next time I go in. Don't care if I get a refund, but want to hear what they've got to say about it.
    Using Lincoln from HD now. Works great.