Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hood scoop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19blockhead72, Nov 23, 2013.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

That's what I was going to suggest. Pontiac used them on the early Super Duty cars so that can drive the price up, but you can still find them now and then on old Ford trucks in the junkyard.

2. Not sure on costs in the states, certainly would be cheaper than over here. it can depend on the size and compexity, i had some done about 5 years ago at $2 a pop. Talk to your local hot rod shops, costs nothing to ask

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Cost of louvers is around $1.50-$2.00, but sometimes the cost can go much higher if your pattern has bracing in the way on the back side of the hood. If the brace needs to be removed and welded back in, that can add cost quickly. If the louver pattern fits inside the bracing it will be much cheaper.

4. Louvers would look sweet on the old chevy. Great idea I think.

5. 327Eric

327Eric

Well, if ya want my .02 cents worth, wrong car, wrong era. A scoop like the finned offy would be as close as I would go, although a factory type scoop of the era, such as a Merc, Studebaker, or Kaiser grated onto your hood might not look bad. If you want to make it look meaner, change out the wheels and tires to a set of 5 spoke Americans.

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

Those look like they came off Ford big trucks in the 50's to early 60's

7. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

I wish I had looked into that before body and paint. It would cost me an arm and a leg to do that at this point with.

8. In my younger days I loved the merc in the cobra movie, now I think its one of the ugliest mercs ever built. The scoop may sound cool now but think about how you may feel somewhere down the road. Hood scoops on non-gasser cars look odd in my worthless opinion.

9. I looked at your album, 19blockhead72, very nice little sedan. All in needs is more teeth in the grill, a set of polished American five spokes, a tach on the steering column, and maybe, a set of scavenger pipes. Finish the interior in small pleat tuck and roll and you have a nice little hottie. I really like what you've got going, so far.

I wish someone would PhotoShop those changes on your car, so that you could see it.

Meanwhile, there are a few ideas (not all good) in this one.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620684

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  10. Special Ed

Special Ed

Phil knows what he's talking about. Please consider his suggestions, and you'll be cruisin' in style!
    Sometimes a little restraint will pay off with a great return. "less is more ..."

11. I second Phil's suggestions. A hood scoop would only take away from an otherwise pretty nice car.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'd do an underhood ram-air, 4" holes and dryer duct from the rad support into the air cleaner. Thats what I am doing on my chevy II, 195 afr's, 11.5/1, big solid cam, 4.11's 9.5" converter, ect. Build enough motor, then your car doesn't need a sock down its pants...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  13. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

if ya gotta have a scoop, make it only this tall
    [​IMG]

14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd hack a giant hole in the hood, hang a highly polished 6-71 on top of a large V8 and do burnouts til the ring gear shot out and went bouncing down the street, possibly cleaving grandma in twain.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

When I was in high school, the biggest joke among my friends was a hood scoop with nothing under it. Still feel the same way. Kinda like the new Challengers with the "6 Pak" scoop. WTF?

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice!:D

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Same in my neck of the woods. Oh, that and 3.08 rear gears...;)

18. Another no vote for unecessary hood scoops. Your car looks to be a nice one, all you need are the right wheels and stance. A nice 5 spoke wheel, polished or gray would work. Halibrands look good on just about anything. Here's a couple I found.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even chrome oem or reversed wheels will work and keep it in the 60's look.
    (not a Chevy but you get the idea)

[​IMG]

I love this one, sits perfect to me.:)

[​IMG]

19. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

How about channeling the body over the frame 6 to 8 inches, that way there, your engine will stick out through the hood. I would then add a teardrop bubble, like Ford had in the 60s.

20. I like the wheels on this one too....

[​IMG]

and anudder......

[​IMG]

21. Those cars look sweet with 5 spokes. I also agree they would look sweet with his car and the few add on's also mentioned.

22. Mail box. :rolleyes:

Don't make it look agressive make it be agressive.

23. "Frantic Fred" Badburg? He's still building hot rods right here in Socal

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This. I'm one of the few dinosaurs left on here that thinks a DRIVING a hot rod should make your adrenalin pump a little. And I agree that your car looks pretty good. I know its a lot more expensive than screwing a box to the hood, but if you really want to change it up a bit, think wheels.
    If you REALLY want a hood scoop, build a serious tunnel-ram motor and throw some 4.88s in it.

25. JasonK

JasonK

Get with Burt21 He make kick ass scoops. My plan is to buy one of his.