Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sprint car built of lat 30's-40's parts - need ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Nov 24, 2013.

1. kasultana

kasultana

Need some help with identification. We acquired this car from a friend here in Mooresville. Its been stored in the Charlotte, NC area for some time. Its a great example of how the cars changed over time. Cannot find the driver/owner names from the paint but maybe someone's seen this car in the past. Here's some of the parts on it

- 1937 Chrysler front axle
    - '46-'48 ford left front spindle
    - '37-'41 ford right front spindle
    - '32 ford front spring
    - '33-41 ford 3/4 ton truck rear end/torque tube/trans
    - late 30's ford rear shocks
    - '39 ford wheels

Cool fabrication work throughout the car. Including connecting rods to hold the steering column in, axle parts for torsion bars, hand formed nose and body panels, etc. The '37 21 stud flathead was something we mocked up. The car has a single inlet/outlet radiator and an adapter plate for what looks like a chevy motor.

Attached Files:

2. YUK,,best thing there is the big RF hub,,,

3. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Yup the way it was done! Can you spell safety? no. I can see it flipping and parts going everywhere. but that how it was, or so My father in law says....Had to have "big ones" to drive them

4. kasultana

kasultana

Agree on the safety front not high on the list. To see the fabrication thru this car is why someone most likely saved it for this long. Or it's who owned/drove it.

5. MIDGET RACER

MIDGET RACER

How long have you had it and where did it come from?

6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

contact josh shaw on here. he can prolly help. knows his sprint cars

7. also look up "Speeddrome" on here....

8. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Thanks Stillrunner. We missed you at the Reunion this year!

I had checked this out and wanted to look at an axle I had before I committed. My axle is older with less curve to it. This car is interesting in that it looks very home-made but not based on a rail frame. It has a later design parallel bars frame like a post war car. But there are many contradictions in the build such as wide-five wheels, Houdie shocks, flat tail with an added head rest, juice brakes. Looks like it may have ran a bolt on cage at one point.

It is hard to put a date on it. It would be helpful to know a little history to use as a starting point.

Bart

9. kasultana

kasultana

Tried a note to Josh but no luck yet. We've been trying to get the car seen so someone might recognize it. I'll take it to Charlotte Autofair in April. We'll have a set up in manufacturer's area again. Hope we can figure it out. Agree it's a rolling contradiction what makes it pretty unique. I've had it a few months and bought it from a friend here in Charlotte. Was in storage building.