Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hood scoop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19blockhead72, Nov 23, 2013.

1. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

My 54 Chevy is more of a hot rod than a custom so that said I wanted to make it a little more agressive looking. Since I can't aford a B&M mega blower I thought a hood scoop might be a nice touch. The million dollar question is what type? I was thinking a Cal Custom aluminum bolt on type or something like a mid 60's Shelby Mustang scoop. What could work? Or maybe a scoop is a bad idea altogether.:confused:

2. Unless it's bolted to a tunnelram or a blower it might be a bad idea

3. I'd have to go with "bad idea altogether".

4. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

In which case a hood scoop is still a bad idea. Let it hang it out in the wind, why cover it up.

Sincerely,

Arty Johnson

5. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

I knew that most would go with "bad idea". Deep down I'm a muscle car guy and one of my favorite movie cars was the chopped Mercury in Cobra. I think I my just save my money for something on top of my engine instead of on the hood.

6. The hood scoop on the Merc in Cobra is pretty awesome. Hood scoops look good on some cars and not others. Build it with what you like. We can't all have cookie cutter cars.

Attached Files:

7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Please do not bolt on one of those hideous bug catcher style scoops for a single carb...Gaaak

8. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Very bad idea........

9. IMHO, I thought the hood scoop on that Mercury was as ugly as a mud fence!:eek: HRP

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't forget the rear spoiler.

11. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Go with the more of a sleeper look. Maybe someone can post a picture to Prove me wrong but I like scoops on full on gasser or Bonneville cars. Not much for a regular street car.with that being said build it for you and good luck.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There's your dividing line. Don't mix things up.

13. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Forget the scoop, how about a Mad Max style faux-blower?

[​IMG]

14. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

hows about faux injection

[​IMG]

and don't forget the moon discs and skirts

15. Make something out of cardboard first to see if you will like it or not, if you do then go for it.

16. 24riverview

24riverview

Here you go...

Attached Files:

17. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Just use one of these in the middle, would fit the lines of your car just fine.

18. I bent this up in a few minutes when I was looking for something, get that cardboard,foam,tape and get creative.

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/user/swade41/media/Henry%20J/102_6047.jpg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. Isn't a hood scoop on a stock engine sort of like stuffing a roll of socks down your pants, to look like you have a big dick? Your Chevy looks fine with out it. Really, don't do it.

20. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Who said it was a stock engine.

21. Cerberus

Cerberus

How about a ram air system. Create two 3"-4" diameter intake ports, couples inches above the base of the hood, each several inches away from center of the hood. This won't change the profile of the hood.

22. This.

23. If your a muscle car guy save it for the muscle car, if it were me and i had to cut the hood up id throw a bunch of louvers in it

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Offenhauser still makes their old finned hood scoops, which are pretty cool nostalgia pieces. If I was putting a scoop on an older car's hood, that would be my choice! $120 at Summit.
    [​IMG]

Lots of cars have or had hood scoops and never had a blower. No reason to have to put a blower on your engine to want to get fresh air to the carbs. But just don't bolt a scoop on and not also cut a clean neat hole in the hood. That's where I think things get tacky; a scoop, but no hole!

25. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

I think the car looks great. I would concentrate on making the car perform more aggressive and then go out and kick some musclecar ass.

26. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

Louvers would be really cool. I'm just not sure were to even start with doing something like that. Minus paint would that be expensive?

27. 1955IHC

1955IHC

28. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

this is just a "simple" old fiberglass scoop. You could profile the front however you wanted, such as tapering the sides back.

Attached Files:

29. I don't know..........

Attached Files: