Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery (to me) buzzer.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old6rodder, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, I hope this's in an appropriate forum. Will move if advised.

[​IMG]

A buddy's had this horn/buzzer thingy for around 40 years. In that time it "buzzes" when pressed, and has not failed as yet. There's no visible power source, it hasn't been opened or serviced (he's not willing to compromise the unit), isn't charged in any way, and appears to be mountable on a tube or bar.

Current guesses include "limit buzzer" for some sort of machine (deduced from the relationship between the mount axis and the actuation lever).

No clue as to power, or why it still performs faithfully.

What think y'all?

2. henry29

henry29

What kind of buzz does it make? Does it sound mechanical?
    What numbers are on it?

3. shadams

shadams

Uh oh, this should be good.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

mounts to the bed post or towel rod.

for those nights that you are in the garage or out with the boys. Wouldn't want the little lady steppin' out

5. leadsled56

leadsled56

Better grab the Geiger counter! Unless rotating the limit arm somehow winds a spring?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Reminds me of a 1920's flashlight I found in a dumpster. Took it home and pressed the ON switch and it worked! Some sort of gyro powered deal, eBayed it for $85.00. Bob

7. It is a 50's bike horn, remove the screw on the housing and the battery is in there.
    They are weak sounding, look better than they sound. I had one of them.

8. Looks like a bicycle horn. HRP

9. yeah, open it up before the battery destroys it further. There is no magic dust or elfin looking dudes in thar'.

10. txturbo

txturbo

wow....a battery that has lasted 40 years. I would say that if it has a battery that has been in there 40 years and hasn't leaked yet...then it probably won't....but Ive never heard of a battery lasting for the 40 years he has had it.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Didn't mention if the button you push has much of a stroke? Some "buttons" are pushed in and move enough to spin a small generator that produces a charge to ring the buzzer. I've got an old tester that was my father's and we used to play with as kids. It has a button like plunger that spins the internal generator to create the juice to ring it.