Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can't afford a 32 3 window, make one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Turkey, Jan 11, 2009.

1. KStewart

KStewart

One thing for sure he has to live with this also. Time will take a toll on him.

2. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Buzznut;8454506]It's all over the internet published by many different news sources. This is for real:"

Some of that stuff is in MY mind typical of dealing with non-car people. No,it wasn't a actual 32 Ford,but how many guys with fiberglass 32 Fords that don't call them 32 Fords?

I don't know about Hot Turkey's car,but most of them are even registered and titled as 1932 Fords.

I suspect that is the basis of all the "forged document" allegations. Cops just looking for stuff to dump on him in order to try to get him to take a plea bargain for something.

I can't really speak to the insurance thing,but it seems to me that if the insurance company allows you to insure your lawn mower for 70 grand,they should be obligated to pay out 70 grand if it is insured.

I have nothing to say about any of the rest of it,other than if it was a insurance scam thing,it won't be long before somebody talks and the car is found.

As for me,I am willing to give him the benefit of any doubt until it is proven he is guilty of a actual crime involving this car.

3. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I couldn't agree more.

4. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Who doesn't identify his fiberglass 32 Ford hot rod as a 1932 Ford?

5. Why does it frequently seem like the legal system is topsy-turvy? So many stories about law enforcement zeroing in on one handy suspect rather than taking the labour intensive avenue of investigating ALL possibilities - now, perhaps law enforcement did do due diligence in this case, but it sure doesn't seem so. I hope some trace of this wonderful build comes to light and we can know who is truly guilty. Meanwhile lives and reputations have been damaged.. Very sorry to hear about destruction this situation has created and hope you come out the other side okay.

-Dave

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Damn!
    Sorry to hear that kind of dog shit.
    Atleast your still alive and breathing, you still have your family and friends... Cars can be replaced and so can money. Even though it's hard...
    Cheer up and try to keep your head above water .
    Things always get better

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

There is a lot of f/glass cars out there,vetts among others,so what's the issue,maybe if the ins/company read the build-thread theyd understand the time ,effort and $$$$ that went into it.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

yeah but the vet came from the factory a f/glass car.f/glass 32 is a replica REPLICA.give me a steel model a any day

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  9. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Holy shit.... This has to be the worse "car guy" story I've ever read.... A guy builds the car of his dreams and looses his ass over it being stolen.... That's just crazy....

10. I can't imagine the hardship this has brought to you and your family,,I watched you build this car and knew you put your heart and soul in it and then to disappear never to be seen again must have been devastating but it was insured so you thought you were covered,,and then the real debacle began.

I am amazed you haven't gone insane due to the events in your life.

I was always taught what don't kill you will make you stronger,,I pray that this will happen in your case,,you need some good luck. HRP

11. Very sorry about your loss. I still can't believe it.

How come there are no sightings of this coupe with so much social media coverage for a year?

12. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

You can bet the insurance company checked it out and knew this before they agreed to insure it for 70 grand. This is just an example of the insurance company finding an excuse to weasel out of their obligation to pay off the claim by using bogus fraud claims based on it not being a actual 32 Ford.

13. Supernasty

Supernasty

WOW........just holy friggen WOW!!!!!!!
    I keep wondering why people do not install GPS locators on their rides. I truly believe Dave did not plan this. A regular joe does not put all his effort and love into building a car of his dreams and then create a mess like this.

14. maniac

maniac

Dammit, I followed this whole build and was hoping for a better ending than this myself........

Holy shit, Dave you have my sympathy for all you went thru.

15. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Dave, Thanks for the update, I always felt you were getting screwed. I have used your story to help convince my Appraisal clients of the value in obtaining a second party unbiased appraisal. A true description of your vehicle would have been in the body of the appraisal and once the insurance company accepts it they are bound to pay out the appraisal quote and you would not have the problems that you have endured by having to describe the car to them yourself. Up here in Ontario Canada, we have recently had a big USA Insurance company try to flex its muscles and take over the market by offering coverage without an appraisal. So believe me your bad experience has helped my clients see the light. All the best for you and your family. Larry

16. Mart

Mart

I can't believe how badly all this turned out. I hope one day you will have recovered from all this and will have truly put it behind you.

Mart.

17. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I really enjoyed watching this build go together. I hate the chapter that has been going on for the last year, but I'm still hoping that this is not "The End", and that there is a better one coming.
    I have to applaud you for getting back on the HAMB and giving us an update, after all the BS that's been tossed around...that took some balls IMHO.
    Good Luck in getting this all ironed out.

18. lorodz

lorodz

Wow....can't beleave how this ended up, I watched this build from day one, don't know the true story, but its messed up all around ..was a great looking build though....

19. regardless of innocence or guilt, improper or proper police tactics or procedures, it is the car's paper work that gave law enforcement the opportunity to go after the owner of the 32.

This story should cast a fair amount of doubt on those "words of wisdom"
    buy a title at the swap meet, from your buddy, on eBay etc.
    I need a picture of some body else's finished car to send to DMV
    and all those other pieces of advice on how to get around the system

I'm not making any judgement on the validity of David's paperwork, right or wrong, we can see what happens if, law enforcement thinks you are wrong.

Anyone that, thinks about being less than up front on the paperwork for their hot rod should read this unfortunate series of events.

Hoping that, all ends well for Dave and his family.
    Curt R

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  20. A Boner

A Boner

I would like to know the name of the insurance company. If they are the company I am using, I could fire them, and sign up with a better company.

21. Me too.

22. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Maybe Dave can chime in here, but I believe it was Haggerty. They do not require and appraisal and rely solely on the owners value and description. If a independent 3rd party qualified appraisal was obtained there would not have been an issue here. Larry

23. Car Fox

Car Fox

I do some work for insurance companies, maybe I can help. Can you elaborate on this statement a little more. I do not understand what you mean.

24. I thought I saw reference to Grundy somewhere but I'm not going back through the whole thread to find it.

There must have been some reason the insurer was concerned and suspected fraud.

I've often wondered what would really happen if I had a total loss on one of my cars. I have 3 with Grundy now and in each case I just sent my broker a few pictures, the Vin # and the value I wanted to insure for. My understanding is the Agreed Value means just that, we are agreeing on the value of the car and if it's a total loss as in theft for example, that's the amount I get. Anything other than that would not be Agreed Value but maybe Stated Value which means I've stated a value for the car but must prove it if a total loss is claimed. I think most companies offering Agreed Value policies have a threshold above which they require appraisals.

Sorry, this may have taken the thread a little OT.

25. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Again a 3rd party appraisal would have cured his situation, when he described his car to the insurance company he referred to it as a 1932 Ford as most guys with glass cars do, an appraiser would not do that. In addition I think he referred to his rebuilt engine as a new engine also which most guys do. An appraiser would give a true description of everything about the car including a true agreed value. Once the Insurance company accepts the appraisal they are bound by it.
    Bottom Line even if they do not require a qualified appraisal give them one anyway and you are covered. Larry

26. 343w

343w

I told my wife about your coupe being stolen today, she recommended that we pray for you and your family and your car! We held hands and asked The Lord to intervene . God bless you in this situation.

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Anyone who thinks insurance companies should do the right thing and pay out when there's a claim is kidding themselves! That may be true for a small claim, but if there's big money involved, and they can come up with anything that saves them from paying, they wont. And the investigator who comes up with whatever it takes to avoid paying the claim is a hero at his company.
    It often is something that many have done with their cars. Maybe it's a missed digit on a VIN, or a wrong year on a title, or an engine number that doesn't match, etc., etc. It really doesn't matter what it is, or if it's an honest mistake. What matters is the insurance company will use it as a loophole to avoid paying on a large claim, and if that means tossing you to the wolves also, they'll do that too.

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Did you read this post really? The car was stolen a year ago.

29. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

He still never got his car back, him and his family have been through a lot...I dont think he'll be mad if somebody says a prayer for him.

30. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Thank you for your prayers, I need them. Remember the name of the thread and what it means. I collected parts for years, spent money when I had it and built the car of my dreams. I learned so much from the experience of building it and most of that was found here. I have learned even more after it was taken from me, like how evil law enforcement can be and how bad things can and do happen to good people. I have had a year to be full of rage and feel sorry for myself but the fact of the matter is they had to find something to pin on me so they did. To answer your question, it was an agreed coverage amount, why the hell would I want an appraisal? I didn't give a shit what anyone thought the car was worth! I insured the car for what I had in it, the money out of pocket. I have receipts for every cent. Don't take it the wrong way but you have to understand the car was never going to be sold, I sure as hell never thought it would get jacked! I didn't know crap about all this evil til after and it's too late now. So please take my advice DON'T INSURE ANYTHING! Hell I'm lucky the bastards didn't have me killed. It is behind me and I hope to build another old Ford someday but that will be many years down the road. They saw to it I will be broke for a long time.