Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there any magazines left for people like us?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpu28, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Uptown83

Uptown83

I get my fix here or on fordbarn.

2. pnevells

pnevells

The Rodders Journal, Hot Rod Deluxe, still read Hot Rod cause my son buys me a subscription every year, gotta buy car mags or my house would be completely over run with horse mags from my wife.....Keep HAMB online as it is, no where else to get such diverse opinions and good tech help, remember when we just tried something without checking online first, we blew alot of shit up, but figured it out eventualy....that is the fun part about being 60 and still racin and building

3. matt Delio

matt Delio

To me there is nothing like seeing the cover of the newest drag mag, with a car out of the best of drag racing times (JMO) the 1960's-70's. I couldn't care less how this new stuff runs or looks! I could sit in the stands and watch two old a/fxer's spit and cough going down the track at 1/3rd the speed of new ones and let my imagination run wild remembering the good times sorry guys, just thinking, later, Matt.

4. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I get kids coming into my shop asking the craziest questions about stuff they read online. I tell them all the time to stop.reading that crap and go to the news stand and buy car magazines. That's how I learned a lot. But these days I can flip.through a issue of hotrod in ten minutes or less. Rodders journal keeps my attention way longer but the cars are big money in there but at least it gives me something to aspire to.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

About the only subscription I've had lately was Gasser Wars Magazine, but it's only 6 issues a year.

6. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MAG-Neto has a lot of traditional Hot Rods! when I can find it. The mag remindes me of the way cars should be and it is all New England cars.

7. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

thanks Tman. bump for magneto too.

8. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

This is it, don't spend money on "hot rod magazines", they are nothing but, showcases for products. They are like a catalog of catalogs. More print is spent on how to install the products, they advertise. Look at the cost and look at what you are getting, very little. Best place to read them is in the super market while your wife or girlfriend is shopping.

9. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

Right there with you brother. I still read Hot Rod, but I am sick of the million $ fantasy ride crap. I like the cars and the company right here.:)

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I didn't renew my Street Rodder this time. They go from mailbox, to kitchen counter, to coffee table, to a box in the basement without being opened most times. I still read Rodders Journal, I look at R&C, and that's it.

Brian

11. vintage tin

vintage tin

Considering most guys here want to be sure to preserve hot rodding and classic cars for years to come, and there is always a lot of banter to buy american, & disgust in the lack of parts or anything for that matter being manufactured in the U.S.
    Magazines aren't what they used to be. Most of them are struggling to keep afloat. Yes they are heavy with advertising because that's what pays the bills to keep them running.
    IMO the subscriptions are inexpensive, Cheap entertainment.
    Yeah I get it, you can get your fix right here on the internet for free.
    It will be a sad day when none of the magazines are left.
    Another industry wiped out and all of the ripple effect of all the other industries and jobs that will suffer when it happens.
    I have quite a few subscriptions and always will as long as they still exist.
    Keeping the magazines going keeps jobs alive.
    I love my old cars and being on the internet here on the HAMB, and a few other choice sights.
    But working in the printing industry pays my bills.
    You can either support it. or watch it go away entirely.

12. mow too much

mow too much

A few years back Tex Smith put out a magazine I liked, it had tips for the back yard builder.

13. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Dumped Hot Rod years ago. Street Rodder is crap and nothing but tupperods. Most issues went from mailbox to trash. Rod & Custom was my last hold out but think Ill let that one die as well. The feature cars are pro-builds and I find better cars in thier show coverage. Nothing like a survivor 40 ford with a postage stamp picture. In general, they are one big advertisment.....

Ive actually called the editor and asked for different coverage. Thier response is that the vendors pay the bills and they demand full page coverage with billit cars showing thier product.

Anymore I just stop by the book store and read up on the Rat & Tat mags to see whats new in the hobby. Overall, just dont see anything worth the subscription....:(

14. My favourite is Trad. Rod and Kustom Illustr.:

- Only traditional HAMB-friendly cars. Not only hotrods but also customs.
    - a good mix between barn-finds/survivors, home-built cars and high-$ builds.
    --only 4 issues per year (so I have enough time to read one issue until the next comes...).
    - Good price.
    - Nice pics.
    - only few and small ads.

My only gripe is that they seem to do no proof-reading, there are often errors like double paragraphs and mixed up text.