Register now to get rid of these ads!

History JFK,45years ago Nov22d,'63 what car and where were you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raceron1120, Nov 21, 2008.

1. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I was seven and was more upset that we had just gotten our first color tv set and all the cartoon shows were pre-emted by something

2. b-bob

b-bob

We were changing classes in grade 9 when the announcement came over the p.a. system. I think everyone I ever met can tell you where they were.

As for cars, I was only fourteen and only reading car mags and dreaming about cars then.

3. I can't believe someone rated this thread so poorly..:confused: HRP

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Rare and expensive.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

One more thing I remember was that I missed "Wally Gator" that afternoon

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Same asshole that does it to the other threads. Probably drives a damn Prius with a hood scoop and side pipes. Poser.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya gotta know that the Dinkbrain is a sorry soul. Too bad for him...poor little Dinkbrain.

8. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

I was listening to an anniversary remembrance on a national radio program earlier this week. About halfway through the host said he was getting all kinds of emails and tweets complaining that it was ancient history and wondering what the big deal was all about.

I was 12 on November 22, 1963. To me everything changed after that day. I had a bunch of cool AMT 1/25th scale model cars.

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

It definitely isn't the guys who were adults in 1963.

10. I was born and raised in So Cal. In November 1963 I was 2 months shy of being 4 years old. I actually remember that day and the following days very well. We had an old Zenith radio that sat on our kitchen table (strangely, I remember that my Mom used to listen to KMPC Los Angeles) and my Mom usually had that on during the day but on that particular day she had the radio off, for some strange reason. That afternoon our next door neighbor Betty called to my Mom from over the fence and told her that the president had been shot. For the next four days the TV was on all day. My Mom explained everything that was going on, which is probably the reason that I still remember it all so clearly. I remember seeing Oswald get shot. I remember watching the funeral procession and seeing Jackie and Caroline and John-John. I can't believe it's been 50 years.

My dad had a fire engine red '49 Cadillac and baby blue '50 Cadillac. My Mom didn't drive.

The funny thing, in 1988 my girlfriend and I drove to the Dallas area to visit her sister's family for Thanksgiving. During our visit I decided I wanted to drive over to see where Kennedy was shot. Purely by accident we were there on the 25th anniversary.

In the weeks leading up to my Mom's death in 1998 she suffered from dementia and was very confused. I remember one of her doctors asking her who the president was and she said "FDR". Then she said, "I feel so sorry for poor Jackie." That was still in her consciousness somewhere.

11. I was a sophomore in high school in northeast Dallas, ( Bryan Adams H.S.) and the car would have been my 51 Stude Starlight Commander Coupe V8, dead on the driveway.
    The school district said if we could secure a ride to and from, we could go down and watch the parade. I didn't have a ride,so I was stuck in art class when we got the word.

12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I was in the 8th grade in 1963, had just gotten back to school after lunch. They announced over the intercom that President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas. The day Nov 22, is also my birthday. I also had no car then, a few years too young to drive yet

13. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I was driving home from Morrisville Ag and Tech in New York up by Syracuse where I was an Auto Tech student. I had a '62 corvette, white, black interior, 340 hp, four speed. I had taken all the stock shielding off the ignition and therefore no radio. I got to my Dad's grocery store and he told me what had happened. I will never forget that day!

14. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

1958 Corvette - 245hp/4spd. At Minot AFB - air traffic controller. We stayed on station for over 35 hours. It's SAC base so things were pretty tense at first.

15. High School! Art Lab class. The announcement came over the PA system. Our Teacher Mr. Whiting said "and we are supposed to be a civilized nation" "Class Dismissed" I will never forget that. The car below I would park it in the teachers parking lot.

Attached Files:

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I graduated in 63 and on that day a buddy and I were at a lady's house buying a Chevy powered 53 Studebaker that her Son had built and that had not run in years. She allowed us to try to get it running in her yard, and during the day she would come out and bring us cold drinks occasionally.

At one point she walked out and told us about JFK being shot, and we were all in shock. Things like that didn't happen in 1963. Over the next few hours she kept coming out and giving us updates with the final one being that he had died.

I remember going home where we were all glued to the tv, trying to make sense of it all, it was as if the world had ended, things were that somber. IMO that was when things really began to change for the worse in this country, our innocence was gone and it wasn't Mayberry any more.

I have been watching the 50th anniversary programming on the assassination, and it is just as hard to watch now as it was in 1963. :(:(

Don

17. I was in six grade in San Jose California ,but home from school as I had been sick ,was watching motorcade on TV, actually saw whole thing, I told my mom who was cooking in the kitchen that the president had been shot ,she didn't believe me at first ,she became very upset when she saw it was true. Our car was a four door 56 Ford which I ended up with in 1968 when I got my license in New York state; this car made several trips cross country as did my dads 3/4 ton 1951 chevy pickup

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You aint kiddin', Don. It still makes me sad. Not just that JFK was killed, but that so much of what he stood for and the hopeful outlook for the future that people had at that time also seemed to perish with him.

19. hallrods

hallrods

I wasn't born until 1964 but I was named after him

Jack

20. damnfingers

damnfingers

Treasure Island, U.S. Navy Electronics Technician "A" school...no car.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Grade school, sent home early. Too young to understand but seemed like tumultuous times; USSR, organized crime, civil rights, Cuba, Vietnam, space race..

22. Mason City, Iowa and driving a '51 Ford Victoria.

23. My ride was a Dodge Power Wagon ambulance on the island of Crete, Greece. My Model A was in storage in Oregon. On that day I was walking across the street to the chow hall and another airman told me of the shooting. I couldn't believe it. We lost the best president since Abe Lincoln.
    JimSig

24. Colfax Ron

Colfax Ron
    from Texas

I was standing on the corner of Harwood and Main in Dallas with my girlfriend and two of our friends. The lemo turned in front of us and headed down Main Street toward Dealey Plaza and into history. I was amazed at how pink her dress was and how surreal it was to actually see the Kennedys that close. After they passed we went to a Kips resturant for lunch. Since there was no radio in the car it was only then that we learned what had happened. From then until after the funeral nothing seemed real and I remember very little except television. I was driving a '51 Chevy 2 door Fleetline but we were downtown in my buddy's '57 Bel Air. November 22, 2013 my wife and I (same girl) returned to the same spot in Dallas where we'd stood 50 years before and remembered.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was probably sitting on the floor pulling the cats tail, and my dad was riding his Matchless 650 CSR. Wish he'd kept that one...

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What used to really bother me at that time was when they would talk on the radio about the mau-mau and guerilla warfare in Africa. That shit'll really mess with an impressionable 3 yr old! I would always picture a bunch of gorillas dressed up in camo gear, jumping out of the trees with M-16's. Wildcat strikes used to really shake me up as well...:eek::eek: I'd see a bunch of tough looking cats with bowlers smoking cigars and packing signs "UNFAIR TO CATS!" The early sixties were a scary time for a small boy with a big imagination.
    Man, I guess I was kind of a strange kid...

27. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

I was 19 at work with my 312 ford powered 37 parked out side.

[​IMG]

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was spotting for a guy on a grassy knoll, you saw no foot prints, there was no car there.

Doc.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deuce Daddy Don View Post
    Working on a new elementery school in Palos Verdes, it was lunch time, listening to car radio on way to store, news had just broke, back at the job, guys would not believe me at first, until later. Soldering copper pipe, I inscribed on the 2X6 studs in wall, the time & date of this dasterdly event in history!!
    Just had bought a new 1963 Ford wagon for our 3 kids, my 32 roadster was still in many pieces---Waiting---Black & white TV was on constantly, but all they showed was re-run news, & lots of drab music for a week, Oswald took the fall, its been proven by expert marksmen, with an Italian mail order rifle, Oswald at best could have only got off 2 shots with that scoped, bolt action weapon that was no way near the accurate types we have today! Then there is the question of the "Muddy footprints"--the "Grassy Knoll"--- the "Overpass" & Jack Ruby silencing Oswald before he could "Talk"----American politics at its best!!!------------------Don

To keep it old car related, how about the bullet hole in the windshield, where did that come from?

[​IMG]

30. big bad john

big bad john

1955 Chevy conv.......Boy.. years sure went fast...just a sixteen old kid when it happen