Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A RPU Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Haha guess the yellow's not going over well :rolleyes:

I dunno, just wanted something different... The head had a similar, old shade of yellow, and figured "Why not?"

I think once the cab's on and everything is in place it won't look that bad... Plus I'm sick of the black and red combo.

2. You can't even see the transmission once the body is on. I miss my yellow engine, she's waiting on a stand in my garage to go back in someday..... lots of guys paint their engines blue, red, yellow..... besides green. Looks good, and don't worry about the ribbings it's just jealousy for what your doing and the naysayers aren't !

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

3. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I knew I couldn't be the only one with a yellow banger!

Haha not too worried... I kind of regret not going Cat yellow like your's is, but this one will probably fade anyhow...

Kind of wish I wasn't so computer illiterate.. I'd love to photoshop some different colors of my A. I'll probably still end up going black though :rolleyes:

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I'm following your A build Shawn, keeping your build simple will culture some different ideas . That is good. Do some unusual things that you will do yourself. Maybe pick a shouting color , royal purple, foam green , bitter sweet , or beige with orange accents, with a rich brown smooth leatherette interior. You get what i'm trying to say, keep doing your own thing ,that s what a home built hotrod is all about.:cool::D

5. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Bill- and you've got a point... Not sure bout the royal purple though ;)

6. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Trying to find some inspiration... Kind of leaning towards '40 Ford wheels, but I've heard from some people that I can't run them with mechanical brakes, and other people that say it's no problem?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite (though I don't want to lower mine right now- maybe in the future)

[​IMG]

7. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I keep looking at all of these RPU's and asking myself "Why does mine look so big and blocky?"

I know it's not a realy RPU body, but then I finally picked up on how much taller the body on my RPU is compared to a real one... Really bugging me now. But aside from completely rebuilding the cab, I guess I'm pretty much stuch with it that way...

8. bgaro

bgaro

i feel like putting a roof on it will take some of that away, no?

9. Squablow

Squablow

I like that exhaust setup, if I get another A banger, I'm stealing that idea. Cool build.

10. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think your right about the roof thing, it would certainly help...

I've had the picture of the black RPU with WWW tires posted above stuck in my head all day... And I've been thinking more and more about lowering it. Perhaps with a 4" dropped axle, and the rear dropped that much the body proportions might not look as bad.

Thanks for the compliment- though I can't take credit for the exhaust set-up. I saw it done by member BCCHOPIT, who made it for another member Bugsy (search for the "Dust Bowl Special" build)

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG] Shaun , keep getting those pictures in mind and your truck will look like this!!! Just kidding and note the purple color paint Hehe ! Just kidding Son, (Just my Midwest sense of humor.) But I saw some head lite visors on a 30,A coupe they looked cool.

12. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG]Headlite visors ,,

13. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I've always like those visors Bill (also like those mesh guards I've seen on a few), but I might be going with Guide style headlights so I can have a turn signal in them- I've got one decent one already...

I'm a ways away from that aspect of the project though :)

14. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Ideas ! Shaun , How about a top like on your coupe , with wooden bows (boat wood) to support a snap-on center section , removable ofcoarse ?:eek::cool::D

15. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

That is a thought- I'd really like to do something for a top... Especially since it seems to rain every other day here in the summer haha!

Though the thought crossed my mind today that maybe I should just find the roof and back panel to a 28-29 closed cab pickup and weld that on.. Not sure if I truly am a roadster guy..

16. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

54 Buick Riviera convert,61 Chevy Impala convert ,63 Ford Galaxie 500 convert, 61 Pontiac GTO convert.:cool: I owned and drove all these car models, in a 20 year period, all convertibles . I can count on one hand ,the times I had the tops down. Like you said Shaun ,it seems to rain every other day in the summer. I have always said, ''If you don't like the Indiana weather here, wait 15 minutes, it will change.'':eek::D

17. What my roadsters pickup looked like when I first started with her. To the state she is now, I just wanted a cheap rpu to run around in. Lots of trading and buying used parts from cars getting full restorations helped piece this pile of mine together. It was originally a real roadsters at one time someone converted to a rpu cab.

Attached Files:

18. Not trying to high jack your thread just some cheap inspiration.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG] open top here , hmm ..

20. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

54 Buick Riviera convert,61 Chevy Impala convert ,63 Ford Galaxie 500 convert, 61 Pontiac GTO convert. I owned and drove all these car models, in a 20 year period, all convertibles . I can count on one hand ,the times I had the tops down. Like you said Shaun ,it seems to rain every other day in the summer. I have always said, ''If you don't like the Indiana weather here, wait 15 minutes, it will change.''

21. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Pretty much the same weather pattern here! Heck, this past June it started off a sunny day, and by the afternoon I was seeing snowflakes!

Hey, you're welcome to post any picture you like! How much is your RPU lowered? I'm pretty sure I want to lower mine in some way... Just not sure if I want to go all the way to a 4" dropped axle, or settle on reverse eye spring and removing a few leafs... I think lowering it will help the proportions on the body some.

22. Mines stock ride height, It was channeled badly when I bought it. I put everything back to stock for the most part. Stock 19" ground clearance.

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Huh, I thought it was lower in the last picture for some reason... Regardless it looks damn cool!

24. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

That sure looks like a fun project. You're giving me the banger bug!

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! Kinda excited to be working on a banger for the first time.... Not 100% what direction I want to go with this build, but I do know for certain that I'm keeping it banger powered :cool:

26. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

[​IMG]kinda close ? Shaun, I like the spoke wheels , just add . new chrome caps and chrome acorn lug nuts or add Chrome bullets to stock caps. Rebuild all the shimmy causing steering parts that ''A''s are famous for. Plus all the mechanical brake parts including the hand lever EMERGENCY brake. Fuel tank . I also like the stemmed tail lights . You can be driving it by June. Hmmm?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I downloaded GIMP yesterday (basically a free photoshop)... And after many curse words, and many failed attempts, I managed to lower my RPU and chop the windshield a little bit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse me for how bad the tires came out... I'm new to this!

I'll still take a welder over a keyboard any day :rolleyes:

28. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

29. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

This looks kinda cool....

[​IMG]

30. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]