Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

2. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

Blown away. Top quality work as usual Geoff. You eye for detail is second to none.

3. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey guys , thanks for the comments.
    Rick I guess you'll get to see it in January. Then you can see how rough our work really is.
    Tony and I are really enjoying the time we are spending together working on the 3w. I think we both have a new found appreciation of each other's abilities and the way we think and go about things. They say 2 heads are better than one and I think that is definitely true in this case. We do work well together and we are always thinking out aloud about how we are going about things.
    It is neat to be able to show what we are doing to people all around the world. It is nice when we get feed back. But I think the best part is, that people may be inspired by what we are doing and the way we go about things.
    Anyhow enough of all that. Thanks once more for those how are watching and more so thanks to those who respond in here.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    PS here's and image that inspired me
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I went out to Gary's last evening ( Gary is the guy with the Austin drag car in the works ).
    I wanted to do some mock ups of the scoop.
    We turned the Austin into a real race by cutting a big hole in the hood. We mocked the scoop on top of the carb. So I could get some measurements for the base of the scoop onto the carb.
    I will leave it at that and just show images
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. The Austin is badass. I started a model of one when I was younger, still have it in the box. Would like a real one.

6. JAWS

JAWS

See, duece shell. Very sexy. I still think the one you guys are using is great, might need a bit of a raise up and the front rails maybe to match the plane of the cowl........Or not. Could be an optical illusion. Either way, It looks fantastic as is.

Miss Victoria is looking very nice as usual. Haven't seen her in a while. Those skirts look very familiar. Did you swap the manifolds too?

Great work on the cars. I too think the 3 winder will be a good stable mate for the 5 winder, and the C-dan, and the lakester, and the 53 and Miss Victoria....:D

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Tman. Yeah the Austin is one neat lil car. It started life as a 4 door. But that is another story I may convey sometime.
    I am heading to Port Fairy tomorrow to finalize the deal on the 3W. It will have to live in Tony's garage for a while. Whilst I figure out where I am going to put it here. Not that Tony's complaining!
    Brant, you know there was a time I would never have thought I could own one '32, let alone to own four '32s. But I have worked hard and I guess they are just fruits of that hard work.
    Yeah even at this early stage the Last Grasp Special is looking good. No it won't be getting a '32 grille like you say it needs. But rest assured what we will do with the '37 truck grille shell and it's insert will work.
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Hey Geoff was great meeting you at chopped,

Progress on your coupe is good to see, thanks for all the pics and stories, and distractions... so is there a 32 3w in your shed?

Cheers Glenn

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Outback, I think it was probably Tony you met at Chopped. I really don't go to any events these days. I am not big into being around a lot of people much any more.
    Yeah any progress on The Last Grasp Special is good. Might even get a little more done this weekend, as I will be in Port Fairy for a couple of days.
    No Peter Winnen's 3W window isn't in my shed yet and won't be for a little while. But the reason I am going to Port Fairy today is to go and finalize the deal with cash. As I said above the 3W will live in Tony's garage for a while.
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  10. JAWS

JAWS

Never a doubt in my mind of how it will turn out.

Glad you are able and willing to save another 32. You have worked hard and deserve to enjoy....leave a few for the rest of us though..

Someday I hope to see your collection in person and maybe I can talk you into striping something for me so I can watch. My art collection in the garage is near and dear to me. In fact, this is the first time I have been able to display them all together in one place.

11. Kialla Kid

Kialla Kid
    from Kialla

Gidday Geoff I heard the news, way cool car my friend, have a good weekend & say gidday to Tony.
    Regards
    Gazza

12. Great stuff guys - keep em coming Geoff, good to see you hammering away with T !

13. good to see the updates coming geoff, and it was nice to finally meet you the other week (finally put a face to the name). i got out to tony's place the week after you were down last and gave him a hand on the spinners brakes. i had a look at the progress you made on the last grasp, very nice, that horizontal cut you made seemed to make a big difference to the shape of the rear corner (got rid of the weird shapes you see in some other chops) and good news to hear about peter's '32 that's a bitchin' car.

14. Great to hear of both your progress, as well as the closure purchase, super stoked for you.

Looking forward to seeing more, have some question about your grill, but will PM you.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

15. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

just been reading about all your comments you guys have written about the build and everything associated with it. Geoff really likes it when you guys write in, and comment on the build and the progress on the coupe. Geoff was down this w/end and we picked up the deuce and it is sharing space in my shed with all the other builds. We spent about two hours sitting in the new coupe and just talked about our life with hot rodding last night. And we got some work done on the grill today and also talked about what we are going to do to his coupe, It was really good to see Geoff be really happy about his new 32 coupe. Also good to see Gazza and Frank jumping on this site good to see boys.

16. greaser

greaser

Geoff, Congratulations on getting that sweet looking 3 window!! We sure would like to hear more about it, with more detailed pictures please!!

17. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey guys, thankyou for all your comments and the thanks regarding my latest purchase.

This one came right out of the blue. The decision to purchase it was relatively easy but it still took me a week of thought before I rang Peter to say I would buy his 3W. That's the condensed version of the purchase. But I am happy and Tony is happy it will reside in his lil hot rod wonderland for sometime! The Lowlids Hot Rod Garage rules!

Hey Mitch, Tony told me you went down the next week and you guys got some work done on the brakes on Rita's Spinner. He also told me the new wheel changing trick you showed him. That's a new one on me and I will be able to use it on my Victoria. Make sure when you are next at Tony's to jump in and have a sit in '32 3W and get Tony to take you for a blast in the roadster
    Gary it has been a while. I see shots of your lil pickup all over the place. But our pathes never cross, because I never go any place these days. Apart from my adventures down to Rita and Tony's. Most of which I have documented in this thread, going into way more detail than most people need to know; but hey that's just me!

Hey Frank, Tony and I were talking about you the other day. Your 3W is looking as good as ever and your new roadster is pretty neat.

Hi Drewfus, this last couple of weeks has been a bit of a whirlwind for me. But hey a hot rod whirlwind is wild. What with working on The Last Grasp Special and Frank's coupe. Then on the same weekend finding out Peter's coupe is for sale and almost committing to buying it. It's not like I needed another hot rod. But what can I say, it's in my blood.
    Feel free to ask about the truck grille. I have a feeling that I may know what you are going to ask.

Greaser I took a bunch of images and know a bit about the history of this 'new' hot rod. But it will probably won't be at least until the weekend before I do a bit of a write up on this past weekend. But I think it will be worth the wait.

I will close with an image of the 'whodaky' I did on the back of Peter's 'new' '35 phaeton.

That's it for now.
    Geoff aka whodaky

PS. Almost forgot. Hi ya Tony. Thanks again to Rita and yourself for looking after me so well, as usual. It is always very special to spend time with you guys and all your family.

PPS. And of course I had to make sure Spencer T liked the 'new' coupe.

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. will do mate.

19. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Congratulations Geoff! Looking forward to spending some time with you soon and chatting with you about your thoughts and plan on the new coupe. Love your work Whodack don't ever stop.

20. dos zetas

dos zetas

Inspiring thread, given me some good metalwork ideas...but...what's a spinner?

21. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Tom. Peter's coupe came right out of left field. I didn't need another hot rod, but you know how it is.
    Hey Dos Zetas. I am glad you are getting a few ideas from our thread.
    Here in Australia, a lot of guys call shoebox Fords 'Spinners', actually '49/'50's are referred to as single spinners and '51's are known as twin spinners. This relates to the bullet/s in their grilles.
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  22. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

A couple of weeks ago when I was in Port Fairy and looked at Peter's '32 3W, I told Peter I'd ring within a week or so to let him know if I would buy it from him! I rang Peter on the following Wednesday and said I would like to buy it. I then told him I could come down on the weekend following the Bendigo swap meet weekend.
    Last Saturday I once again headed west to Port Fairy. The weather was a lot different than when I traveled down there a couple of weeks ago. Then it was a beautifu clear and warm 4 days. This time it was overcast and cool for the 2 days I was away, but at least it wasn't to cold.
    I arrived at Rita and Tony's at around 9.00 a.m. ( as usual ). When I went into the house, Tony was seated at the kitchen table and Zoe ( his grand daughter ) was beside him. They were having a breakfast of home made pancakes. Helloes were exchanged and Rita asked if I would like some pancakes. Yes please, they were yummy and hit the spot. A hot cup of coffee complimented them very well.
    Zac ( Zoe's brother ) was also there and was still in his Essondon pajamas. He's a good lad, barracking for the mighty Bombers as he does.
    I had brought down the 3rd issue of Australian rodder for Tony to read, which he was flicking through as we talked.
    Around 11.30 a.m. Peter dropped in. We all talked some more. I told Peter I had brought my paints and striping brushes with me. As he wanted me to do some lines on his recently purchased '35 phaeton.
    [​IMG]

Around noon Peter got up to go home and we told him we would come over, around 2 or 3. p.m. Then I could pay him and also lay some paint on the phaeton!
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  23. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So we had lunch, then Tony and I went out into his garage for a while. We unloaded all the bits pieces I had brought down for the Last Grasp Special's chassis.

[​IMG]

Three p.m. rolled around so Tony and I jumped in the pickup and went over to Peter's. For the next couple of hours we had a few beers as I striped Peter's phaeton.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

About the time I was finishing up the striping on the phaeton Sam showed up. We all talked for a while about Peter's phaeton.
    Not long after, Peter and I got around to finalising the deal on the 3W, all that needed to be done was to give him payment and I was the new owner of another '32.

[​IMG][​IMG]

After the deal was done we would fire it up and drive it around to Tony's, where I will be leaving it for a while. Tony drove the pickup and Peter would drive me, explaining about all the 3W's little idiosyncracies. I then drove him back home and then drove myself back to Rita and Tony's.
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

My first drive impression was that it is quite noisy, as there is no interior as such and no insulation at all. It's a bit like rattling around in a big tin can at the moment ( but I will address this ). The Hurst shifter could do with a bit of adjustment. But basically it drives relatively easily. Especially as I hadn't driven a manual for a long time ( Also I haven't had a hot rod with 3 pedals since I owned my '37 coupe ). The clutch isn't to heavy and I wasn't put off by the fact I was driving a left hand drive car, something I am not used to. Was I in anyway dissapointed with my first drive, not at all. Yes I have paid a lot of money for this old very basic hot rod, but it is what it is; for now. I knew even before I bought it that I would want to make a lot of changes to it!
    Actually it is quite similar to when I bought my 5W around 26 years ago. I paid good dollars for it at the time and spent the next 12 months making it into ' my hot rod ' ( but that is a whole other story in itself ).
    Geoff aka whodaky

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  26. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So I got back to Rita and Tony's and went into the house. Renee', Spencer T and Jude had come over earlier with Sam and had stayed when Sam came over to Peter's. It was good to see them all again, even though it has only been a couple of weeks since I last saw them. Renee' is soon due to have their 3rd child. I asked her how it is all going and she said pretty good. We talked a while, then I asked Spencer T if he would like to look at the 'new' hot rod. I didn't have to ask twice. I think he liked it, but maybe not as much as his own.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

27. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

About 3/4 hour later Renee', Sam, Spencer T and Jude went home.
    Tony and I then went out into the garage to put the 'new' hot rod in there. We had talked earlier where the best place would be to put it in there. So we moved the compact Fairlane and Tony's roadster. We then managed to manoeuvre the 3W into a postion that would be in front of the 2 cars we had just moved out of the way.

Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Having got the 3W into position , I said to Tony; we'll leave the other 2 cars outside for a while and after tea we can come back and admire the 'new' hot rod without them in the way.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Looking at the 3W, I pointed out to Tony a number of things I may want to change or do to it. But I won't go into details here, yet!
    I then said to Tony lets sit in it and talk. Well about 2 hours later, we hadn't solved the problems of the Hot Rod world. But we had had a great conversation about so many things. All this was taking place in what can only be described as an unbelieveable setting. A couple of times I would just stop talking, I went real quiet and would just shake my head in amazement, thinking to myself is this all really happening.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  29. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I can't really describe how I feel about the purchase of this coupe. Because through the whole process, I have not been excited about it in any way. But I do know I have done the right thing. Ah well it will all make sense one day.
    Around 10.30. p.m. Rita came out to see if we wanted a cup of coffee. We did, so we put the other cars back in the garage and went inside. We rounded the night off by checking out hot rod images that Tony has saved.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013