Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gasser Finals Race at Greer Dragway!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevydeucewagon, Oct 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butch M

Butch M

That is a cool Bastard..

2. Someone woke up with a virus.

3. captmullette

captmullette

too early for this ..........

4. OldColt

OldColt

Can't make the 700 mile round trip to Greer this weekend. I'm really looking forward to the reports today or tomorrow. Hope there are some great pics and video of this event. Love all those old Gassers in the group, but I'm pulling for Gene Cromer's Moonlighter Willys.

--- Steve ---

5. dmc3113

dmc3113

Bobby Bennett from CompetitionPlus.com was at Greer today. I think the pictures will be up by Monday.

6. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Thanks for the invite, had a blast. Ron your gasser is badass, you Curtiss and the fellas have an awesome little hideaway.

Thanks Frank for the hospitality, good to meet and talk y'all.

The exhaust on the fifty8 did NOT fall off up or back, so far so good.

Cheers and beers
    Hodge

7. Thank you to the Geargoyles for the morning hospitality at the club house,,coffee & donuts.

Curtis led us to the drag strip and we had a great time,,and then headed on over to check out Franks new shop and where we were treated to low country boil,,true Southern Hospitality.

Brenda & I enjoyed meeting up with old & new friends ,,the Iron Lords,Geargoyles and the SFCC,,as Steve Martin use to say, "wild a crazy guys".

All in all a great day. :) HRP

BTW,Gene's second run in competition in 40 years,,he ran against Tim Bailey and the time was 6.25 Gene won the round the place went nuts. HRP

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Hated to miss it but i had to stay here and work on my own junk.

9. drunkandgreasy

drunkandgreasy
    from nunya

Joe it was awesome. SO much cooler to watch than any other type of drag cars, in my opinion. They were flat gettin it. Second gear wheelies!

Crazy awesome.

10. Geargoyle Curtis

Geargoyle Curtis

Wow, what great day!

I have to say bravo to Gene Cromer! He flat out ran the Moonlighter hard! That was such a treat to see.

Thanks Quain for putting together a great race and thanks Daron for pulling together a great hot rod gathering!

It was a pleasure to talk with so many HAMB members.

Frank you are the man! My face is still hurting from so much laughing. Hanging with the SFCC and Iron Lords was a damn riot! Again Frank and Sally, thanks for your superb hospitality! The most fun I have had in a very long time!

11. My sentiments exactly!

What a great day.

The evening was....fuckin' hilarious! Frank and Sally are the greatest of host's. Frank's new shop is awesome.

My head still hurts!

Thanks Daron and Quain. I know we'll be back for the next one.

BloodyKnuckles

12. My hearing is finally starting to come back after Josh fired up the slingshot at Franks last night.:D HRP

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm starting to think that my next trip to the mainland needs to be geared around next years event. Nothing can beat being there!

14. Awesome event! The stands were packed completely. Racing was over the top high quality cars. Big thank you to the Geargoyles for having coffee and doughnuts in the morning and to Frank and Sally for letting us invade their space. Brave I tell ya. We need a burnout box for next year though. Low Country Boil was awesome! The Southern Comfort cake Brenda made was fantastic. Need some down time after last night though.
    [​IMG]

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Couldn't have asked for a better day!
    The weather was miserable leaving home here in GA, with copilot/navigator Stealth Cruiser, our SFCC Intercontinental to soon be, member. But by the time we reached Greer, SC and arrived at the Geargoyle's clubhouse, the fog had lifted it's veil and the clouds were becoming translucent to the Sun above them.
    After meeting about 50 times more good folks than the names I'll manage to remember, and touring a true hot rod club's cliuhouse/shop, we convoyed thru Greer, which reminds me of my hometown of Griffin, GA, another Southern cotton mill town still trying to recover economically from the exporting of their lifeblood, as well as their curse. We convoyed from there to the Greer Dragway, estb. 1958.
    Nestled in a valley between the hills, alongside a powerline ROW and a creek and extending back up a hollow for the pits, down the valley for a full quarter and a well known uphill shutdown area, it's now cut to an eighth mile in the interest of safety, considering speed increases.
    Lots of spectators, many of whom, like most of us, unfortunatedly not me, arrived in rods and customs of all description from the sublime to the ridiculous. The racers were the centerpiece of a real array of gearhead paradise!
    Action on the track brought me back to the '50s and 60s, when gassers were the king and real hot rods and race cars had 3 pedals!. Loved listening to the shifts from some real bang shift artists!
    Some one else will have to post he actual final winner(s) as we left before the finals in a convoy that got busted apart within a mile or two. But some how we all finally arrived at our next destination, deep in the heart of "Moonville, SC", (Just try to find that on a map, LOL!).
    There we found the spacious, droolworthy, jealosy inspiring, shop(s) and car(s) of "Four Fingers Frank" and his gracious and hospitable "better half" Sally.
    Treated to a "Low Country Boil", and chili dogs feast, we spent an evening of meet and get to know with all the rest, while gathered around a bonfire enhanced by the magnesium enhanced augmentation of a donated VW crankcase, and also back in among Frank's treasures in 2 spacious shops.
    Along about the arrival of the witching hour, I gave up and hit the sack, spreading my bedroll in Frank's shop, along with others, nodding off hearing the whoops and hollers of the diehards, back at the campfire.
    Daylight brought forth the realities of getting your ass outta the sack, dressing, packing, and getting on the road home.
    After a great breakfast at the old reliable and seemingly at every exit Waffle House, Stealth Cruiser navigated and searched the bands for good music as we straggled home.
    At home, I caught up my email and watched the last race of the year for NASCAR @ Homestead, FL.

16. Good to finally put a face to the name Dave,HRP

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Danny, I'll have to ditto that! enjoyed meeting yalll!

18. Dave,,did you guys ever figure out the problem with the Mercury? HRP

19. Russ ended up getting a tow home. Its still missing and sputtering.

20. my1971buick

my1971buick

:cool::cool:I had an awesome time at the race as usual!!!!! Doughnuts in the morning, dragracing in the afternoon and partying at Frankies in the evening what a day!!!! Sadly the 57 wagon broke the exhaust manifold clean in half leaving frankies making the trip home a bit tractorish! Anywho we luckily had another hanging out in the garage and its fixed.

I wanted to thank all of you who came by and spoke at my booth at the Gasser Race! Great to put some hamber names with faces :D Thanks for all the support and I will be making new posters for other racers so keep a look out in my albums :D I also do custom work if you would like your hot rod as an art piece. Hope all is well with you all and cant wait to do it again in the SPRING!!! i forgot to add these before the race but here were the new posters that debuted saturday at the race

Attached Files:

21. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

A huge THANKS to everyone who came out and supported this deal. The weather looked gloomy at first but turned out to be a good day. It's good to hear that everyone had such a good time. I didn't have a lot of time to speak to a lot of folks Saturday but please know that your support is much appreciated! The HAMB is powerful tool that has definitely helped in making these events successful. Thanks to Ryan for allowing us to play here! Although I could never compare to Seadog's photos, here are some that I shot. it was good to see you again Tom (SeaDog)!

Melvin getting The Moonlighter ready for action
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A proud daughter videoing her father
    [​IMG]

Morning Boobie!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

23. Mighty fine day indeed!! Kickin' it off with some hospitality from the Geargoyles at they're killer shop/club hangout, great bunch I tell ya. Then on over to the track for some timeless gasser action. THANKS Daron, and any others, who make this event happen. It's a calendar marker for sure! You wanna see some boys who ain't skeerd to hammer on some straight shift drag cars, drag yer butt on over.
    Then on over to Frank's shop for a late-nighter of eatin', sippin', and laughin' 'til ya hurt. Geargoyles and Iron Lords...what can ya say, a great time was had by all! Note to self, don't mix shine n' beer. The next day can be a bit rough!
    Great pictures Daron...great artwork Cassandra, more shop décor!
    Mark it down...Gasser Finals Greer, SC...next year, don't miss it.

24. Try a couple o' phone pics...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384873828.738903.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384873871.261290.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1384873927.778344.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. 1933t

1933t
    from Buffalo NY

The Moonlighter

What a great job on this car stunning restoration

Trouble

26. Pudge87

Pudge87

Anybody know what happened to Quain's car on his last pass?

27. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

28. OldColt

OldColt

Who were the winners and runner up's ?

29. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

Quain and Night Stalker ran for the top Gasser. Quain's car lost fire, Stalker won.

Then there was a match race show between the Stalker and the Shaker. Shaker had the Stalker covered until the very end. Shaker lets up and you call it finish.

Good show put on by all!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  30. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.