Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Supernasty

Supernasty

Nice build, I enjoyed this thread a lot.

2. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

This is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for providing me some inspiration and motivation to work on my '36.

3. Here is another. Notice the scoop isn't blacked out yet and it's still barely visable. .[​IMG]

4. Thinking dark maroon but looking at bare metal pic's im considering silver.
    Thanks. There is still a long way to go.
    Hopfully good inspiration. Thanks for the compliments.

5. Supernasty

Supernasty

One member made a comment about changing the front bumper in a way where you could see all the lines on the lower section......any thoughts into that idea?

6. I thought about it but I think it disrupts the lines more than it helps.

7. Wensum Valley Rods

Wensum Valley Rods
    from England

Well Kipps those pics and the photo shoot should have filled you with enough enthusiasm to see this build right through to the end and then some. Totally awesome pics. your coupe looks stunning and the old garage compliments it perfectly.

Good work as always.

Paul.

8. WOW....AWESOME build here!!!
    Great photos also, THANKS for posting.
    cw.

9. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

Kip, has anyone ever removed the front bumper altogether on a '36 and just run 2 small verticle bumperettes?

10. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

This is what I have in mind for my '36 (if/when it ever gets to that point :( ).

I love that swoopy line the front fenders and chin makes, and I don't want to cover it up.

11. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

Man she sure looks SWEET !!! great job and pic's look great !! what's next for her ??

12. Thanks again Paul. I cant wait to get her in paint.
    Thanks CW.
    I thought about it but she has to have bumpers to be period correct.
    Your 36 definatly needs finished!!!!!!! I have a 35 2 door that I would like to build a chassis like you did when I build it. If I weren't trying to build a car that could be mistaken for a survivor I might have just made nerf bars. But im glad I went with the 41's.
    Thanks. I still need to finish the trunklid, chop the garnish molding's, and shave the bumpers. Then I think I am ready to start paint prep.

13. sluggo1936

sluggo1936
    from Colorado

HOLY SH*T! I've been watching this build for some time. Absolutely gorgeous. You've been an inspiration to all of us 36' 5 window guys. Mine is starting in December, we will be referencing this thread for sure! Amazing job Kip!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It would look nice silver but a dark color would make a strong statement of confidence in your fine work. When cars are painted people seem to take it as an invitation to look for flaws. While they look for imperfections here they will only see the hidden details that were done not to be showcased but because they needed to be done. Think of the front bumper as a negligee. :eek::rolleyes::cool:

15. Please NOT silver. I agree with "Six Ball" she needs to be a dark color!
    I don't remember ever seeing an early Kustom painted silver back in the day?
    My .02.........

16. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Leave it as it is ... you've nailed the details and more importantly, the overall look of the car. Knowing when to quit is what separates the exceptional from the superfluous.

Excellent work. My hat's off to you.

17. Thanks a lot. Hopefully something here will be helpful.
    Negligee! I like the way you think.
    She will be maroon! I just look at her in bare metal and love the look. As far as not period correct? Mabe. But Mercedes, rolls Royce, pierce arrow just to name a few ultra high end cars that used silver in that era.
    And your .02 is always appreciated. Thanks as always. Kipp.
    Thanks. The only major changes left are paint, interior, and dressing up the motor. I think her personality has already been established so no other changes are planed.

18. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

What hub caps or wheel covers have you got planned? I love caddy's but everyone runs em. I can't wait to see the maroon paint on.

19. Rikster

Rikster

Why maroon.... so many period customs are painted maroon these days.
    And to be honest I love maroon, and your car would look wonderful in maroon.

But a LOT of custom cars back then were painted other colors...

One of my all time favorite was painted.. yeah Maroon, but with a silver.gray top... Love it.

[​IMG]

This one was two tone green
    [​IMG]

white
    [​IMG]

Not sure about this color... but a light hue.
    [​IMG]

20. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Nicely done!
    Not sure why more chops aren't done this way.
    Keeps the original curves but gives better proportions.
    TP

21. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

To me color is the hardest part of any project.
    Along with wheels & stance, color can make or break the build.

Harley Davidson has a beautiful "Black cherry" color that would look gorgeous on this car.

22. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I don't really dig the two-tone theme. Dark colors are very beautiful, but I sure dig the white Pierson coupe. Haven't seen too many -36 40's style kustom in maroon. Newly built ones in black or dark brown, maybe. And the maroon is hard to compete with... But colors is a bitch! :D

This is a little lighter red, but beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Love how your car is getting along, Kip!

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

So many otherwise beautiful cars are spoiled with the wrong paint. Paint can not make an ugly car pretty but it can make a pretty car ugly. A simple understated paint job lets you look at the car and simply says, "I'm done, come enjoy me."

24. Believe it or not I am going to run stock caps on my wide 5's. I think they are elegant and under stated.
    My wife says I should put a little color in my life and not make every car black. So I chose maroon because I like red and my all time favorite car (Nick Matranga's 39 Merc) is maroon. Thanks for the photo's Rick.
    Thanks. I am not sure why all 35 -36 5 windows aren't chopped in a similar way
    Thanks. I will check that color.
    Thanks. J B. That car is very elegant. Love it.
    Well said.

25. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Although maroon would look great, I wouldn't discount your thought of silver. Not a metallic silver, but a nice deep glossy solid silver. That might look really good. I also think white would be VERY cool. You don't see that very often. I'm not seeing any two tone on this thing. Nice new clean chrome looks fantastic on white in my opinion. Either way, I have faith you won't screw it up. HA!

26. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Maroon sounds cool,kips! Metalic? or maroon and laquer? Slight pearl in the laquer? Can't wait to see what you go for as I'm sure you and everyone following can't! Great photoshoot pics too.

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

rikster, thats one of my favorites too. they NAILED that grille! kip, i'm glad you did'nt decide on silver. the only light colored 36 i like is an opalescent super light pearly blue 5 window with a white interior from around here but it is admittedly super late 50's style.

28. Thanks for the vote of confidence Brady. I will have a couple months to ponder the color.
    Thanks. Laquer would be nice if I could get my hands on some nitrocelulos. I'm thinking solid not metallic but we'll see.

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

We had laquer here until we became Eastern California. We were much better of when we were Western Utah. :( :D

30. daddio211

daddio211

Check Jivin' Jer's thread called "Recreating the Jesse Lopez coupe". It'll be a few pages back (as of this writing) but he located a company in New Jersey(?) who still makes all kinds of lacquers.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013