Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Dodge Wayfarer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poorboy53, Nov 17, 2013.

1. poorboy53

poorboy53

Picked up a new project today. It's pretty complete. Will need the floorboards repaired and the glass replaced. Plan on lowering it, dropping a small block in it. From some of the research I've done a few people have said a Camaro clip is too wide. Did some quick measuring and it looks like it should work out ok, and I already have one as well as the rearend. I'm all about using what I have before I buy something. Here are some pics from when I picked it up today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Cool car. I would buid that. i've got a 55 DeSoto on the back burner right now.

3. I was checking that out on Craigslist. Glad it went to a fellow hamber. I agree on using what you've got, as in the factory frame under that car can handle a V8. I should know, I did it to mine. You got a good deal on that car, but I wouldn't want to have to track down a replacement for the rear glass.

Here's a pic of mine

Attached Files:

4. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

there was a '50 Wayfarer roadster that showed up on the car chaser tv show..i believe it was. I had never seen one before..away's liked these wayfarers, cool cars.

5. poorboy53

poorboy53

Got a 48 to go along with the 50. Hopefully between the two I'll have most of the parts I need. Also got a s10 chassis to use the front clip and a 350/350 combo for it. Hopefully I'll be able to start working on it soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. caton462

caton462

Have you considered using the front end that is in it? The one I road around in 40 years ago rode better than any Mercedes I've been in since, is pretty light weight and would be sprung for a small block already.

7. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! The S-10 clip too narrow at roughly 54" hub-to-hub, another problem is there isn't enough room between the frame rails and the steering box for a decent sized radiator. A better choice if you want to go GM is to use a G-body clip (78-87 Monti Carlo, Buick Regal, Olds Cutlass, ect.), which is roughly 58" wide hub to hub. (This gives you four more inches of radiator space). If you want to stay Dodge, go with an early Dakota clip.

8. poorboy53

poorboy53

Finally getting some time to work on this. Got the clip on. Just have to notch the lower section of the stock frame to let it flow better into the clip. Still need to plate around the joint too. Also got the rearend swapped out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. poorboy53

poorboy53

Mocked up a fender and the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. southerncad

southerncad

Just curious, have you tried turning the wheels lock to lock? Looks to me that you may have some clearance problems...like I did...not a fun fix:eek:

11. poorboy53

poorboy53

Wheels at full lock still have about an inch of clearance. That was one reason I went with the s10 clip.

12. poorboy53

poorboy53