Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Chevy survivor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MP&C, Nov 16, 2013.

1. MP&C

MP&C

I thought I'd show some pics of my brother in law's 56 Chevy survivor. I may have some rust repairs to do on this in the future, but I think he really enjoys driving it just the way it is...untouched.

This car was left to him by his uncle who bought the car new in Dec of 1955. It stayed primarily on the farm, and was kept out of the weather in a shed. Where it does show some battle scars and has some rust damage from over the years, it is neat to see a car left largely untouched.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Are these mirrors an original Chevy item? Dealer installed? My bil did say he had a receipt where his uncle had taken the car back for dealer installed back up lights, not sure on these, though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Farmer repaired eyebrows using aluminum flashing and paint purchased at the dealer..

[​IMG]

Original wheels with the factory pin stripe...

[​IMG]

This is one of the nicest fitting doors I have ever seen on a tri five...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having performed some of the tri five roof repairs, it's nice to see one in this pristine condition, still in factory paint. Looks like having been in the shade of a shed has protected the car from the extreme temperature changes that causes the condensation inside the roof skin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More farm repairs.... heater control knob..

[​IMG]

...and here's the original mileage on this 6 cylinder car...

[​IMG]

2. Cool, I like the hi-tech heater switch.
    Al.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. indyjps

indyjps

I'd neutralize as much of the rust as possible, clean every inch I could reach, buff, wax, and just drive it

4. Nezzy51

Nezzy51

X2:rolleyes:

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Side view mirrors are definately not stock 56 Chevy items. Aftermarket Tri-bar style side view mirrors from Co.'s such as Yankee were poular in the mid 50's. I'd guess they were installed by the farmer on the fender tops. Dealer more than likely would have installed them in stock door location.
    Neat car. Sell off the Rallys and drop the stock wheels and poverty caps on with a fresh set of black walls and enjoy...

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, instead of turning the heat on, you turnbuckle the heat on. Bjutch/56sedandelivery.

7. I like the car but I couldn't live with that rust problem. Its only going to get worse and take over. You can fix that and still keep a lot of the originality. And I like the mirrors. Looks like some I used to have on a 56 Ford in the same places on the fenders.

8. MP&C

MP&C

He's talked about fixing the rust and only doing spot repairs on the paint, to keep as much of original as possible.. And even though he has both small and big blocks that he could drop in tomorrow, he says the 6 cylinder is staying..

Ok, had some requests so here's some pics of the engine bay...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The radiator had been recored and does still sport the Harrison logo on the tank.

9. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

LOL Well how long do you plan on living to see the body actually rust right off the frame??

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  10. Butch M

Butch M

11. I think you read more into my comment than what I meant. I did not say it would rust right off the frame. But it will get worse if not repaired.

12. indyjps

indyjps

It will eventualy get worse, yes, the panels that need patched now, will still need patched then. Neutralize it with evaporust, brush on one of the many rust treatments and drive it for a while. I've had cars go from a patch panel to a frame off and be off the road for years, my thinking has changed, drive 'em. This is such a cool car being as original as it is, kept running by any means. A couple patch panels wouldn't hurt it, blend the paint if ya can, but keep it on the road.

13. I like the way you plan on doing the car,,keep us posted. HRP

14. that farm fender repair is classic! At least he matched the paint. I can't wait to see the repair done!

15. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

MP&C....I too have a very original 56 2-dr. 210. 6 cyl. 3 speed on colum, radio delete, solid black with steelies and dog dish caps. Love your car fix your rust issue and drive and enjoy. Love the 235's....JT

16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

nice car... wish it were mine

for me i'd clean and repair ONLY what it takes to keep ON driving.
    then as I (you ) / its your car... fix what YOU like WHEN you like.

:cool:

17. Flamed48

Flamed48

I want that so bad that's my dream car right there

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

19. Love those '56 post cars.

20. my pal JT..........................Sorry for hand in front of camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  21. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Nice '56.....wish it were mine! Enjoy it~!

22. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Thank's Donnie for showing the 56 at Colonial Beach. I'm ready for 2014. Take Care....JT

23. ......Glad I could do it, John, It's a very cool car. Sorry I'm so inept with the camera phone. I'm getting better though.

24. oh, i love seeing cars like this ....

kinda scare nowadays .... nice score and best of luck with it =)

25. I remember growing up my dads 56 chevy had problems with the heater knob all the time too.lol.Bruce.

26. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Neat car. I hope he keeps enjoying it his way.