Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 289/302 P/S pump location issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65standard, Oct 12, 2013.

1. I am using a small block Ford in my 1938 Ford COE. Space is tight being a true cab over. The original power steering pump will not fit. I can't even bolt it up to the motor. In this picture, the pump still needs to go down 2.5" just to bolt back up. Even if I trim the frame, the pulley will be into the center drag link.

[​IMG]

Another close up.

U[​IMG]

This is the tight area I have to fit a pump with in. I am still going to use the carter mechanical fuel pump. That makes using the stock ford power steering pump almost impossible.

I have a 1970 454 power steering pump. This Saginaw pump will give me more room to work with. But, if I start to raise the pump location up, I will need a double groove water pump pulley in order to get a belt to work.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know of a P/S setup that will work within this small space? Any aftermarket brackets that work with the Chevy Saginaw pump?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  2. 64gal

64gal

I have a 67 ford and the mounts for the ps pump are much smaller than what you have, They mount the pump up and closer to the water pump.
    Also check yards for e100 vans, they had smallblocks and ps and a small doghouse engine compartment.
    regards, Tom.

3. This motor is from an Econoline. Any pictures of your P/S setup?

4. use a flaming river gm style pump with a drivers side mount and remote reservoir get it with a v belt. small and compact. no its not traditional but sometimes you have to improvise

Attached Files:

5. Have you check Speedway Motors to see what they offer? HRP

6. I see aftermarket pumps and brackets for SBFs, but no pictures of them mounted on a motor to know if they will work in my situation.

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

Ran into a similar issue with the narrow engine bay on my '36 special construction. Mounted the power steering pump higher up and inward using a billet bracket sold by CVF Racing on eBay. Did the trick. I will paint the bracket black someday.

Attached Files:

8. snaptwo

snaptwo

You might check on the early Bronco guys , there is a bracket that mounts a Ford style pump higher on the engine , some say that NAPA carries an adaptor to use the "canned ham " style Saginaw pump. Wild horses or maybe Alan Grove components . The double W/P pulley might be a tough one , early ford pickups with the 302 but I never found one and ended up machining one from alum..

9. kscarguy

kscarguy

10. Maybe check Borgeson to, they have brackets that will bring the pump up top almost more towards the center

11. After looking at my aftermarket bracket choices, it looks like they still put the pump too far out. I kind of copied the Borgeson design and made my own. I still need the double groove W/P pulley, but I think I have it worked out.

Does anyone know which side of the steering box is the high pressure line?

Thanks everyone for all of your tips.

[​IMG]

12. Doesn't one side have threads and the other a clamp. thread side pressure

13. On the pump, yes. I am not sure which is the pressure line on the steering box. Both fittings are the same.

14. Bracket looks good. I would say if there is a smaller side it would be pressure

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

I converted a 1984 5.0 from a serpentine belt to vee belts. This created a challange with which pulleys to use. Ended up using a three belt crank pulley for the power steering.

Attached Files:

16. I finally solved my P/S pump issue. I changed out the single sheave W/P pulley for a two sheave pulley, not easy when dealing with SBFs. Ford has so many different diameters and depths in their pulleys. I also had to fabricate another mounting bracket to raise the pump 3/4" more. Old one ended up touching the fuel pump. Finally, I changed the P/S pump pulley to a single sheave pulley. No need to have more grooves in a pulley than needed.

Just need to clean up the fabricated brackets to make it all look factory stock.

[​IMG]

17. 64gal

64gal