Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Chevy 235 Oil Pan Removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51fordor, Nov 15, 2013.

1. 51fordor

51fordor

Had the car up on stands to replace a bad axle wheel bearing last week. Decided to give the car a good looking over because I just bought it after sitting 34 years from previous owner. Had a slow oil leak since I got it home but decided to not worry about it till now. When I was under the car finding the source I found the Passenger side pan gasket half gone and the pan loose. So I have to replace this thing. :mad:

I don't have a lift to pull the motor so is jacking the motor up 2-3" with wood spacers in the mounts the best way to go about doing this. The shop manual says to remove the 3rd member steering arm from the cross member, but there is no access to the front bolt under the oil pan.... Just trying to save myself time and headaches.

Thanks in advance guys for any help!

2. robH

robH

It's been decades since I've done this, but memory says your manual is correct. I'm sure I never jacked up a motor when I worked on these. And, I do remember dropping down the tie rods, and removing that bolt you are referring to. As I recall, a 3/4 open end-wrench-job. My old Motor Manual says to note the shims under that bolt, but I don't recall ever finding shims there - and this was working in a garage where I did many of these. JMO, and good luck.

3. 51fordor

51fordor

Thank you Sir. There is 60 years of debris caked up around that bolt. I will clean around it tonight and see if i can remove it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. robH

robH

In my effort to try & help, I forgot about the '60-year' factor. When I worked on these, they were relatively 'young', the motor mounts were still intact, and the bolts still turned easily. After 60 years, IF the motor mounts have sagged, as little as a 1/2-in, this would be a problem. You will know, as soon as you try to put your hands in there to try and unscrew that bolt. It used to be that I could get both hands in there, palm side down (me facing forward, like the car), and turn that bolt with one finger from each hand. If you can't do that, then something has changed, most likely the motor mounts have gone-away. (Hope you are much younger and more agile than me) Again, good luck. JMO

5. 51fordor

51fordor

With that said... I am going to jack up the motor a half inch or so to remove the third member. Then lower it and pull the pan. Thanks again!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!