Register now to get rid of these ads!

Henry Gregor Felsen "Hot Rod"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hjfelsen, Jan 24, 2008.

1. pjmdltrkguy

pjmdltrkguy
    from Minden

I would love to have these books again . I read 3 of them years ago. "Street Rod" I read while actually sitting in the back of a '39 ford coupe, olds powered hot rod!! Great memory. I would definitely be interested in getting some of these books if they were reissued.

2. dlotraf

dlotraf

My mother was starting a library at my school when I was 11, I think. Found this book and read it "Hot Rod". That book, coupled with stories my mother told, and listining my uncle talk, hooked me forever. A couple of years ago I spent several months hunting ebay for a hardback copy. It was a real trip, (Time Travel Mannnnnn) to reread this. For an evening I was 11 again. I have also aquired several other of your father's books and read them. "Hot Rod" is one of my prize peices in my collection of car and hot rod junk. I hope to get my Grandson's to read them when they get old enough, one is 3 the other just turned 1. Thanks:cool::cool::cool:

3. swi66

swi66

His books were in the library in the high school in Akron NY back in the day. One of the first books I read, and then looked for more. I was able to pick up a few over the years found at swap meets, and was lucky to get one of the boxed sets when they were available. I was always interested in cars, so reading these stories was a natural.

Funny thing.........but later I became a Stephan King fan as well, but never knew the connection until now.

4. Nibs

Nibs

Only read Hot Rod back in grade school,still scared going over one lane bridges.Great book,waiting for my copy to show up

5. EEZI

EEZI

It came to my attention that the link to the Bud Crayne/Avondale recreation site that I posted was broken. So here is a new one. Felsen fans of "Hot Rod" will enjoy it.

http://www.junkracer.virtualave.net/

Thanks Perry for putting this Felsen tribute together. It's almost like it really happened.

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

"Bud Crayne" and John Milner changed the hot rod world forever....

7. SP8CTRE

SP8CTRE

I remember your fathers books from High School. I found them in the library around 1973. Those books were what got me interested in "Reading". I was already a Motor Head and a trouble maker. I remember the kids commenting that they couldn't believe I was actually reading a book! I read every book about cars that your father wrote and they kept me engrossed from the first page to the last. Great memories...I wish I could find copies that didn't cost $200+

Thanks,
    Chris

8. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

hgf2.jpg hgf3.jpg hgf4.jpg hgf5.jpg hgf6.jpg hgf7.jpg hgf8.jpg Why Fast Is Fun

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  9. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I bought Hot Rod in the late 50's through an add in something called Junior Scholastic. The adds for your Dad's books, and some customizing kits [I bought the '56 Buick convertible kit] were the only thing of interest to me in the entire paper, and school for that matter. His imagery opened my eyes-Bud sitting on the swing that late fall evening has haunted me since. I also bought Street Rod and Crash Club. He was the first author whose name I remembered. I'm 63 now, and never have and never will forget him.

10. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

hf1.jpg hf2.jpg hf3.jpg hf4.jpg hf5.jpg hf6.jpg hf7.jpg The Flip Side of the Fifties

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  11. Dr. John

Dr. John

I'm 53. Read them in the P.S. 82 school library in the '60s. Loved 'em!

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

If this is Holly, we "talked" earlier this week---your Dad started me on this path when I read his books as a high school freshman. Don't forget my post card. Marty

13. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

My dad grew up reading your dad's books in the 50's-60'sand I followed suit in the 80's-90's. For him it was the only way to live the dream in a tiny town in the middle of lower Michigan. For me, well pretty much the same story except I also got to grow up in the cars and not just read about them.

[​IMG]

But it wasn't just your fathers books...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are just a few.

I hope you do well with the web site and please do keep us informed on any new developments.

14. Ken Spooner

Ken Spooner

The original 1950 Hot Rod text had to be updated as I too read it it in my school around 1961 and the other main car in the story was a black '57 Fuel Injected Chevy

15. Ken Spooner

Ken Spooner

I took "Hot Rod" out of our school library several times in the early 1960's. I recall the 57 Chevy Fuelie being in the text of the version I read so I guess your Dad updated the text.

16. flatout51

flatout51

I read Hot Rod after my dad telling me about reading it in high school... my favorite book of all time. I own three of your dads books and they are all amazing!!

17. grazy

grazy

I got in trouble in jr. high for talking in study hall while sitting in the corner teacher asked me to go to library "maybe there I would keep my mouth shut" he said. Worked rest of year working in the library while helping someone find a book I found your dads book HOT ROD until that day I never read for enjoyment anything other than magazines. Your fathers books gave me a love of reading that made school so much easier . I had a tattered hardbound copy of HOT ROD that my son lost . I spent years finding copies of his books . Last year at Christmas time i found a box set collection of his reprints at a used book store my wonderful wife bought for me[ I had seen these for sale in car magazine my senior year of high school but was unable to afford] that set was a gift i had wanted for twenty years it was the best Christmas gift ever ! Your father made an impact on more people than you could ever imagine those books had been around for years before I discovered them.I speak for many in the old car hobby when I say "I wish I could have had a chance to tell your father THANK YOU !"

18. Kenworth

Kenworth

I am sure pleased that you are on the forum (and still around). I would like to clarify that by saying that a lot of my hot rodding buddies are not. Reason being, I have a thought that the first thing a kid does with a car is something to the motor to make it go faster and the last thing is to improve the brakes. Your father was one of my favorite authors. And unquestionably the author of the greatest car book of all time - Hot Rod, of course. I am proud to say that I have a first edition copy. When I was growing up in the midwest and reading Felsen, Gault and others, I learned that the best way to get off the farm was a fast car. I learned to drive in a 47 Chevy "field car" out in the pasture when I was 13 years old. I was in my first car race when I was 15 in a bored out '50 Merc. Your father was one the giants in the hot rod community and the greatest Car Book author of all time. I don't usually do forums but, I have a question that is sort of off the wall. It was rumoured in my high school that your father had been or was with the Iowa Highway Patrol at one time. I have always wanted to know if that was true but there isn't any mention of it in his biographies I have pulled off the internet. Hope the website goes well. Looking forward to it.

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gosh, I remember in 1959 there was a waiting list at the high school school library. I had to sign up to read HOT ROD and you couldn't "renew" the book.

20. marshallal

marshallal
    from amherst ny

Hi. I sent an email to holly today, and got a reply. I told how your father's books got me through 5 years of high school english. You are great people. I am rereading street rod now, at 68 years old..
    Good health, marshall

21. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

I read one of your dad's books in the early 50's when I was in grade school. Funny thing is even to this day I can remember one line in the book HOT ROD where a police officer tells the main character "I know you can handle a car but it's the other people on the highway with you I'm worried about." That may not be an exact quote but it was over 50 years ago that I read his book. Thanks for the memory.

22. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

I read Hot Rod, Street Rod and Crash Club in Jr. High. Street Rod seemed so relavent to me at that time. I enjoyed them all.

23. buckd

buckd

I read 'street rod' and 'hot rod' in the early sixties when I was building my first car. I have been reading them again recently which led me to this thread. I really can't express what an impact 'street rod' has had on my life, cause I've been building custom cars ever since. Thank you for your fathers legacy and the messages he put forth to guide many of us who love hand built cars. All his books had a message of constraint and safety that may have kept some of us alive! BUCKD

24. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Read Hot Rod and Street Rod in 7th grade at Yucaipa Jr./Sr. High school 1962. They were in the library. I enjoyed Street rod more, still remember the chartacters, Ricky Madison, Merle Connor and Ricky's nemesis Link Aller. Did a book report on it and Mr. Jones gave me an A- I think.

25. Bubbashead

Bubbashead

I am 69 years old, I read Hotrod when I was 16. The story inspired me and about a dozen of my friends to start a car club. We called it the Roamin Angels. In 1962 we had 50 members,including the girls. We even tried to get the city to allow us to use an old airstrip for drag racing. They were amused and did not say no, but it never happened. We also had cards printed up saying, "You have been assisted by a Roamin Angel". The idea was to help motorist,s in need and build up some good will in the community. We had about 1000 cards printed, and I still have about 990 of them left. These ideas came straight from your fathers book. I was the first president of the club, later a guy named Pete Peters became the second president. He had a Dodge truck with a hemi engine and he loved to race. After about a year, with the Vietnam war heating up the club started to unravel. By 1964 it was gone.
    Believe it or not, 40 years later, in the early 80,s,we resurrected the club and it is now going strong. We found an old original plaque and had it reproduced along with our club jackets using the original logo. We currently have about 150 members and a newsletter and a website. The website is" roaminangels.com. This all happened because of the book your father wrote. I would have loved to have met him.
    Thanks for the memories. Lanny Netz

26. Deloc

Deloc

I too remember reading "HOT ROD" while in high school or maybe it was jr high. It made an impression on me, especially when an exerpt from it was in one of our literature books later on. I am 71, grew up in a small town in Vermont and still have recollections of that book, I'm sure it influenced my love of things automotive.
    Deloc

27. hjfelsen

hjfelsen

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread! You can't imagine the impact it has on me. I honestly never realized what a difference the books made to so many people. I love the stories.

In response to fans, I have republished the books and all 6 are available as a set at FelsenInk.com or individually on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I have to say that seeing them sell in Europe is a real thrill!! Also my great New Zealand and Australia friends!

Keep sharing your stories. I love them!
    Holly

28. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I just found this thread. These books were a part of my childhood. Ah..........memories.

29. Da Flash

Da Flash

Ditto to all the stories from the past few years on this post. Reading those stories in school back then and even writing book reports for English class was part of my life. I have never forgotten them or the name of the author .

Da Flash

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I found "Hot Rod" in the Jr. High School library around 1952 or '53. I read it because of a requirement for a book report, and was amazed to discover that somebody had written fiction about my favorite subject!

This might seem of little importance now that we have had movies such as "American Grafitti" and "Hollywood Knights", but in the early '50s it was a completely unexpected treat!