Register now to get rid of these ads!

So-Cal Speed Shop buick style brakes squealing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeybsyc, Nov 10, 2013.

1. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

I've had these installed for over 10,000 miles, they were fine for about 7,000 miles, then started squealing as i came to a stop periodically, from both sides. I blew out all the brake dust, cleaned them completely, and the problem persisted... So I bought new Wilwood pads, even though the original ones looked almost new. Same squealing. Next, i took some sandpaper to the edges of the rotors where the pads had a slight lip worn... Seemed to stop them from squealing for a couple thousand miles, but now one side is doing it again... I tried the sandpaper "trick" again, but it seemed to have no effect. i swear it gets worse the longer I drive the car, as usually it doesn't do it until I've made a few stops. I don't know what to do, as everything looks nearly new, annd stops great, just squeals like a stuck pig when you touch the brakes.

Does anyone else have these and have any squealing issues with them? It's getting to the point of embarrassment when I'm behind someone and come to a squealing halt at every stop light. Not sure what to do to make it stop!

2. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Maybe the rotors are warped causing the pads to make noise? I would usually says shitty pads but since u tried two different types id think perhaps the pads are breaking in weird

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Do you have an anti-squeel pad between the piston and pad? most rotor caliper combo's do today, perhaps this is missing

4. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

No pad between, they're set up with exactly what comes in the kit from So Cal. I don't believe the rotors have any warpage either, as it has no vibration at all even under hard braking. It does seem the squealing happens only at slow speeds, like as you come from about 30 mph to 0... or just drift forward and touch the brakes. Braking at highway speeds makes no squealing at all. Also noteworthy is that sometimes it doesn't do it at all, but other times it does it every time you so much as touch the brake pedal below 30 mph.

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I have that same issue with wilwood pads. They don't seem to like light braking, seems to almost polish the rotors. I use a 1/4 air grinder and a medium disc, spin rotor and rough it up a bit. Works great for a long while, but will squeal again.

6. Contact Wilwood,
    Ya may need a harder pad.

7. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Mine were squealing after about 15k miles.
    Pulled them apart & the pads were worn to metal. One of the Wilwood calipers was rubbing the rotor & 2 of the pistons were stuck in their bore.
    Rotor were toast as well.
    Replaced rotors- reused hats, replaced calipers. Replace wheel bearings & races. 20k & no more issues. You can get pads in different degrees of aggressiveness. Mine were very aggressive & wore out fast. Also- pretty common for the anti-rattle clip to break or be missing. They go click-click-click, especially when turning until you tap the brakes.

Willwood front brake pads Dynalite .49 smart pad #150-8850K (So-Cal)
    Front inner wheel bearing HL #15118 (So-Cal)
    Front outer wheel bearing HL #LM 11949 (So-Cal)

8. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Turn and cross hatch the rotors, blue whale snot (a.k.a. brake anti squeal) applied to the back of the pads will correct the issue. I'd also try to find some organic pads.

9. Glazed rotors will squeal. You really can't help them getting glazed over.
    Just Rough them up again and they will be quiet again like new.
    I use a air pistol grinder with 80 grit roll lock disc. While the disk is new, hit the outer ridge if there is one. Then make a nice even light pass over the faces of the rotors. You want it to look like it was Blanchard ground.
    If the idea of hand grinding your rotors makes you nervous please don't do it because it is possible to screw this up. take them to a mechanic you trust.

10. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

11. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I had the same problem and replaced them with the Poly pads and roughed up the rotors and the problem went away....save light braking.

12. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

What's weird is one side is currently completely silent, while the other side squeals even after roughing up the rotor. Another odd thing is that it doesn't ALWAYS do it. once in awhile it stops completely silent, then the next stop squeals. I am going to try to rough it up a bit more and see if that helps, if not I will look into trying a different type of pad.

13. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Bright side- you won't find a easier pad to change.

14. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Pretty much all performance pads are some form of carbon-metallic compound, which transfers to the rotor and makes the pad and rotor want to stick to one another.

That's how they stop so well. However, a side effect of this is that under light pressure, the pads grab and release over and over and over, making a very high frequency vibration that we all hear as a squeal. Sounds like metal on metal because it is, just not backing plate on rotor.

The only way to have perfectly quiet brakes is to find yourself some super cheapo organic or old school asbestos pads. They don't want to stick to the rotor nearly as bad as the new pads do, so they are much less apt to make that squeal.

The down side to this is, of course, that you lose the performance of those uber sticky carbon-metallic pads. Your ride ain't gonna stop like a race car anymore if you take the race car pads off. ;)

The best solution, IMO, is to change out your exhaust system such that it makes so much noise at idle that it drowns out your squealing brakes. :D

15. fordor41

fordor41

brake anti squeak compound on the back of the pads and bevel the leading edge of the pads at a 45 deg. angle. Relieving the edge usually stops the noise.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chamfer the leading edge of the pads with a file.

17. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

All great advice... Thanks!