Register now to get rid of these ads!

'50 Caddy steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nsqtr, Nov 10, 2013.

1. nsqtr

nsqtr
    from Austin, TX

I've got a '50 Cadillac Series 61 Coupe with a steering wheel in need of serious rejuvenation but I can't get the blasted thing off the steering column. I've pull the top cup but the nut won't budge. I've got the right socket size in a 3/4" driver but as hard as I've tugged on it and braced my feet all over the cab, I can't get even a slight squeal out of it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. john walker

john walker

impact wrench. then you need a proper steering wheel puller. the horn contact in the column tube needs to be protected when using the puller. put the nut back on with a 1/8" gap between nut and steering wheel hub and space the puller screw with a short socket or something.

3. nsqtr

nsqtr
    from Austin, TX

thanks. I hate to be thick but my Cadillac shop manual doesn't really break down the steering wheel/column parts list enough for me to completely follow your obviously experience reply.

With the top cup removed, the horn contact is the small 1/4" round cylindrical piece that seems like it's on a spring?

put the nut back on with a 1/8" gap? put it back on after removing it when?

... and then I lose you. Can you dumb it down I bit? (yes, I've never pulled a steering wheel)