Register now to get rid of these ads!

1940,s Chevy car windshield wipers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dangerous Dan, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

At Good guys in Puyallup this last weekend I saw an aftermarket wiper setup that elimenated the ugly wiper transmission that came on the 40;s Chevrolet cars and used the same hole with a new escutcheon that had the right angle between the body and window. I tried to find the owner of the car but couldn't so I hope the vast knowledge of H.A.M.B. will be able to help me. Does any one know what company made this setup or can anyone recommend another wiper setup that will work on a 48 Chevy coupe.

Thanks
    Dan,

2. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Found a picture on the web.

Attached Files:

3. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Can anyone help?

4. powerglide 53

powerglide 53
    from canada

Dangerous Dan, wondering if you ever got any more info on those 40's windshield wiper transmissions you say in Puyallup?...C.J.

5. jbergman

jbergman

Dangerous Dan, if you have finished paint they make new fillers like the one shown (maybe from Chev's of the 40's) If you are still doing body work Specialty wipers makes a kit the you weld in a steel tube after filling the hole.

6. sawzall

sawzall

these bezels (painted in the image above) are also from specialty power windows..

part is 4148C Chrome Wiper Tower Bezels For 1941-48 Chevy

This is a chromed brass bezel that allows easier installation of our Dual Wipe Wiper on finished 1941-1948 Chevy cars. Comes with gasket.
    CHROME ONLY. SOLD IN PAIRS ONLY. $46.00

they require that you use the specialty power windows cable drive wiper motor.. which would set you back a few more dollars..

I think I still have a set of the bezels but gave my dad the wiper assembly (like at least another 200.00!)

but.. they are a good solution to the issue of finding useable (or presentable) wiper transmissions in this day and age..

7. wheel28

wheel28

Chevs of the forties also sells the unpainted version for 36.00. Its called a shaft cover for the electric wiper conversion.

Will

8. historynw

historynw

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am a big fan, and user, of Newport Engineering wiper kits, but the kit you have linked above utilizes the original GM wiper transmissions. The OP, who has likely long since solved his problem, wanted to eliminate the stock GM units.