Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exhaust Hanger Ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Nov 5, 2013.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys!

I've got some decent ideas on some simple exhaust hangers, but nothing I love. I could use some inspiration for some clean and simple, single-point mounts for those of you who are running your exhaust pipes through the frame.

Let's see some ideas!

Thanks guys!
    S

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

McMaster Carr..Look under vibration dampers..they come in lots of sizes, rubber hardness, studded or threaded..

4. I knew a guy who made his exhaust hangers from the uprights of a station wagon roof rack, complete with pentastar cutouts. Neat!

5. fordflambe

fordflambe

Not as cheap as making your own but Speedway has brackets and isolators that you may want to look at........

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

I've seen some cool hangers made from old engine connecting rods.

7. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Here's a picture of how I did the front exhaust hangers on my '32. I welded a 90 degree rod to the exhaust clamp and run the other end into a rubber insulator (which I think was a Pyle MHV6). Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

fiftyv8 likes this.
  8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing man!

Keep 'em coming guys. Looking for ideas on stuff you have made, not necessarily stuff bought and bolted on.

Thanks!

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

McMaster Carr (aka, the catalog bible) does have a bunch of great isolators. Have a pile of them from other projects and will probably utilize them. That's what I was hoping to see here. Small, simple, does the trick...

10. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I used to work at a salad dressing factory and we had a bunch of the clamps like the one pictured, but in stainless steel.

I always wanted to use them as exhaust hangers with a rubber isolator between it and the frame.

Attached Files:

11. I used a set up like deuce666 did. The trick is to attach the rod to the pipe so that the center of gravity is directly under the hanger. If you come off the side like the above picture you may induce a twist in the pipe that will "shake out" once the car is driven.

12. hey buddy,
    I have used coat hangers before. Simple as hell. :D:D

Unless you have your engine mounted solid, I mean really solid you are going to want your exhaust hangers to float as in rubber mount. I would not run a mount out in th air where anyone can see it and then put a good rubber mount inside the frame. let it look like it is floating.

13. Yup!

[​IMG]

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Good stuff!

Yeah, what the plan has been up to this point was to clamp something to the pipes that will interface to something bolted to the frame thru a rubber something or other. But been thinking side tabs or a single top tab for each pipe. The exhaust is pretty short from the headers back. About 48" between mounting points. Front is supported by the headers and the back by whatever I come up with.

15. Leakie

Leakie

Here is a simple one that I made and then welded to the side of the exhaust pipe.

Attached Files:

Tim and fiftyv8 like this.
  16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Look under any modern car and you'll find a myriad of exhaust hanger rubbers, most of which can be bought at your local auto parts store cheap.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that's about what I was thinking right there. Thanks for sharing! Is that rubber snubber silicon?

18. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

I lifted these pics from the one and only Steve Sellers. I know you're a fan as well Scott. These hangers are pure awesome.

Attached Files:

19. I made/ used these on my truck...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383852786.473196.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383852804.188975.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App Sucka!!!

Attached Files:

Tim and fiftyv8 like this.
  20. I used old piston rods, they big end fit 2" exhaust perfectly.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  21. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Fastlane Rod Shop made/used these on their latest 34 Ford

Attached Files:

fiftyv8 likes this.
  22. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

These are great. I believe they were OEM. Available at any parts store. They allow for front to back movement as the system grows as it gets hot. Bolt to the frame and bend a 3/8 rod that welds or clamps to the pipe.

Attached Files:

23. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Agreed those look cool. Depending on how much flexibility is provided at that pin/bolt joint I think something may crack in the next few thousand miles, if it's even a street car.

24. Leakie

Leakie

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  25. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Cactus1, those are simple and good looking! I'll have to steal them for my Falcon.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great! Now we're cookin'! Some great ideas here!

27. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Any other creative exhaust hanger ideas out there?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well take some 1/4 plate , or what you want ,shape it like a banana or a swan neck eg; headlight mounts drill a bunch of holes . Put an isolater rubber in and go to town. Paint , powder coat or chrome it. Or grab some stainless and polish it until you can comb your hair in it. :)

29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

exhaust2.jpg
    Exhaust.JPG

Nothing as exotic on my 46 Olds project, the rear frame rails have similar simple mountings. Nothing sits below lower edge of frame with everything above scrub line. I had to cut additional holes in X-nenber that I belled as per OEM for strength and aesthetics.
    20170806_113207.jpg

20150625_165013.jpg

20150628_152733-1.jpg
    20150628_165201.jpg

My 35 Chevy, simple tabs welded to exhaust tubing and supported by large rubber bushing that attach to Jag bottom bash plate.
    Photo0070.jpg

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Exhaust Pipes 004.jpg Exhaust Pipes 005.jpg Exhaust Pipes 004.jpg Exhaust Pipes 005.jpg Exhaust Pipes 005.jpg I used a homemade combination that acts as a cushioned hanger using small engine rubber mounts, I believe that Harley Davidson use similar mounts, but have not confirmed this fact.
    I like it because should the rubber fail the pipes can not drop very far.
    I use a Chevy style exhaust pipe flange which I have laser cut in several pipe hole diameters and then get the brackets cut at the same time.
    So I use Chevy gaskets and can recycle Chevy stainless exhaust pipe on old projects as flanges match.
    I get enough done to keep the price down and just keep stock and use as required.
    I've even sold and/or give sets away as sweeteners on occasions...

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    32SEDAN and mgtstumpy like this.