Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just aquired a Ford Boyertown Tour Wagon (similar to Vanette) and need help

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by amphiduck, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amphiduck

amphiduck
    from Tennessee

Hello!

Newbie here (hopefully this is the right place to post this), and I just recently purchased a 1951 Ford Boyertown Tour Wagon. Almost identical to the Ford Vanette, but it was converted to an RV. I bought a new battery, a new solenoid, and rebuilt the starter only to find out that the block is seized.

Main question on this: How does this beast of a flathead six come out? Through the cabin? From underneath? I have no clue.

Thanks for any insight!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. 51PanelMan

51PanelMan

Welcome!

Is this a P4, P5 or P6 series truck? Check the first two characters in the data serial number (VIN). The truck likely has widowmaker wheels that you want to steer clear from. Google widowmaker wheels or RH5 wheels.

I once removed an OHV I6 from a 52 P5 truck like yours. It came out from the front. You have to remove the grille assembly and "hood" cover to access the removal of the engine.

3. amphiduck

amphiduck
    from Tennessee

I was afraid of that being the case of removing the grille and hood. As far as the series of truck, I believe it to be a P3. I plugged my vin into an online decoder and this is what it gave me:

VIN Format: 1951-1952 Ford truck

Decoding: P3H1HM17139

Digit
    Usage
    VIN
    Decoded
    1-2
    Series
    P3
    F3 Parcel Deilvery
    Engine
    H
    226 6-cyl
    Year
    5-6
    Plant
    HM
    Highland Park
    7-11
    Sequential Serial #

4. welcome to the forum ...

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, I'm sure you'll find help here. Bob

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

What's it look like inside?

What part on TN ya from?

Rich

7. the-rodster

the-rodster

8. amphiduck

amphiduck
    from Tennessee

Thanks for the link, Rich. Tons of info on there. I'm from Crossville, TN about midway between Nashville & Knoxville. Also, I'll try and get some pictures up on here of the inside (it's green and yellow which looks pretty terrible) hopefully soon.

9. 5window

5window

The Boyertown plant is now a very interesting car and truck museum with a great restored early 20th century diner intact inside-if you're ever up here in the balmy north.

http://boyertownmuseum.org/

10. FORD manual says take it out thru' the door, without the trans'.

11. Devon Nace

Devon Nace

12. IronTrap

IronTrap

Call the museum and politely ask if they can look up the build plans and delivery information from when the truck was built, they have 99% of the plans and delivery information on file that they were given after Boyertown Body went under.

13. I'm working on getting this one to save from being made into toasters or cheap lawn furniture ! wish me luck!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.