Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Charm of a Rumble Seat...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Different strokes and different folks is what makes the world interesting.
    My 31 coupe came with a rumble seat which pretty much prevents you from using that area for anything. I don't have groups of people asking for a ride but I do have a tool box, a jack, trips to the grocery store, swap meets and estate sales where I have filled the trunk completely full. I took the spare mount off the rear too so that I can reach all the way into the trunk to get stuff out.
    I use all of my antique cars for daily driving, they are not weekend toys

[​IMG]
    nightshot by farmgate, on Flickr

3. I've had a couple of rumble seat cars,, a 5 window Deuce and a 39 Convertible,,when the kids wanted to ride in these cars the rumble seat was great but if you were traveling the rumble seat is a PITA!

Heaving the tool box,suitcase,ice chest & chairs in and out gets old fast.

My wife & I had our first ride in a rumble seat in October of 1976 in Gatlingburg ,Tenn. at the Outlaw Run.

My friend and his wife had a 1932 Plymouth PB coupe and the weather was cool but we jumped at the chance to ride through town and to our evening meal destination.

The ride was brisk but nothing unbearable,,we had a wonder dinner and strolled around town for several hours during the meal there was a heavy rain that moved through but it had subsided by the time we were finished eat and had cleared up.

We had remembered to close the rumble seat so we knew we wouldn't get our drearier's wet.

About 11:30 PM we decided t was time to return to the motel which was only about 7 miles from where we were parked.

Brenda & I climbed in the rumble seat and we pulled out into traffic,,all of a sudden we we soaking wet...the rain had accumulated on the top and we didn't notice it..

It was a very cold ride back to the motel. HRP

4. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

I rode in the rumble seat of my Dad's '34 roadster two times, and just a couple miles to lunch each. It was on odd feeling because compared to the passenger compartment I was way up in the breeze.

The second and last time I rode in it I got to thinking that if we ended up in a collision it would be my ass because I would have been ejected or the lid would have slammed shut and crushed me. The only way I'd get back in there is if we were in a slow moving holiday parade.

If a person is regularly going to have passengers in their rumble seat then it's my opinion that it needs a strong safety catch to lock the lid open and seat belts to keep the occupant(s) from being ejected.

5. Ralph

Ralph

My 30 A coupe has a rumble seat. People are fascinated by the idea that you can carry passengers "in the trunk of your car!". It's great fun for fairgrounds cruising, or putting around the neighbourhood with friends, but driving any distance, or faster than say 40mph is less pleasant. For practical purposes, I'd rather have a trunk. I'd love a 20 gallon gas tank where the footwell is, and room for more crap. I guess the deciding factor is what you want to use the car for.
    Ralph

6. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I spent a lot of hours riding in the rumbleseat of the old mans 34 as a kid. After I got old enough to drive it I'd throw a couple friends in it for a parade now and again but for the most part it sat with the bottom seat cushion out. As a kid I remember climbing down and laying on the floor to keep out of the wind on cool nights. And I remember how dad always had to watch me as I got in so I didn't step on the seat or scuff the paint. I'll always have a lot of memories of that rumbleseat. My Model A is set up for one too but I'm guessing I'll make it into a standard trunk car.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'm putting the rumble seat cushions back in my '35 this winter I think. That "trunk" specifically is useless being so high up and being flipped open as a rumble. I'm really worried about letting the kids ride in there but maybe out to dinner and I'll put some seat belts and make them wear helmets haha!!!

I can't say the Phaeton is going to be much safer then them in the rumble. It's all dangerous but while I want my kids to be safe, I can't keep them in a bubble.

8. My 31 Roadster is a rumble car and I intend to keep it that way. Seems easy enough to pull out the seats and leave them home if I need the trunk. Don't intend on going very far or fast but I will probably throw some seat belts in anyway. Had not considered a latch to keep it open but that sounds like a good idea.

Hey kids love it so why not?

9. Brandi

Brandi

When I first got my 28 roadster, I noticed it was a rumbleseat car, but the previous owner had switched it to trunk. Probably one of the first changes I made was back into the rumbleseat.

10. Augustine

Augustine

When I was younger my friends father had a 36 Chevy with a rumble seat. Absolutely loved riding in it. One of the coolest options out there in my opinion.

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Here's the scene. It's warm summer night and your friend shows up in his '34 3w. Got a rumble seat, he has his GF and I have mine. Perfect setup for a nice open air ride........right? His rig has got the stoutest flathead in it that I had experienced up to that time, and "running her through the gears" is SOP at most every stop light. At about the top of second I got hit in the forehead like I was standing about 20 feet from someone teeing off and I was right in the flight path. A Junebug caught in the airflow going over the top of the car met his waterloo just above my nose. The first and last time I ever rode in a rumble seat didn't leave a positive impression.

Frarnk

12. flamingokid

flamingokid

Saw my first rumble seat in the early 70s.I was probably about 6 or 7 and I thought it was cool.I rode in my first one when I was in high school and I loved it.I've always wanted one and hopefully there is one in my future.

13. Model T1

Model T1

I married young and old cars were already on my mind long before I met my future wife. Married in 1957 fresh out of high school and bought my first future rod, a 1931 Model A coupe in 1958. My 1 1/2 car garage became my shop.
    For some reason I wanted a rumble seat coupe so I made drawings and had the shop guys at work make hinges. They were not available. I only could see pictures of what they looked like. Only got to drive the Model A around the neighborhood before selling it. Never got to ride or take anyone in the rumble seat, altho I did have a seat in it by then.
    Fast forward to an unknown time. Several friends had Model A's with rumble seats so my wife, young son, and I rode with them several times. That was my only experiences in a rumble seat.
    Fast forward even more to retiring to Florida with a five year old adopted grandson. Right off met another old dude with a Model A rumbleseat coupe and two Model T "Beverly Hillbilly" type homemade trucks. He had them decked out with the rubber chickens and everything. It was fun on the occasional ride with him around the NW Florida boonies in his finished Model T flatbed, maybe one ton truck.
    He needed a few Model T wood wheels. I had a dozen I didn't need but brought from Illinois. Gave the guy two Model T wooden wheels. He asked what I wanted. My answer was "take my boy for a ride in the rumble seat of your Model A". This was nearly 19 years ago and our son, 24, still remembers that ride.
    It's like the dog stickin his head out the window and the motorcycle. Just can't explain the feeling riding in a rumble seat. ;)

Memories from Model T

14. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I put my grand kids in the rumble seat and take them for a short slow rides around the neighborhood. They love it. I have a friend that keeps telling me that he wants to ride in it and I tell him no. I don't want anyone stepping on the paint. He tells me I'll be careful. Then I told him the rumble seat is reserved for hot looking nude ladies only end of conversation.
    They look cool but I'd rather have a trunk.

15. F&J

F&J

just got this sleeping beauty to run and drive, for the owner.

it is as big, or bigger than my 3/4 ton 4wd...and just as heavy. Rides like a cloud, purrs like a kitten.

Attached Files:

16. upspirate

upspirate

I thought they were cool and when I had my 29,I loved to ride in it.

Problem was no-one would drive it & let me ride, and they didn't want to ride in it.

Swore trunk space for me after that one!!!

17. Model T1

Model T1

Another flashback. When living in central Illinois we had friends with lots of Packards. Packard freaks!
    Among those the had two 1932 Packard roadsters with rumble seats. I was restoring a 1933 Chevy master 4-door at the time and they had a 34 and 36 Chevy sedans too. The older couple sort of took my wife and I under their wings. We often took our young son riding and normally we rode in the rumble seat of one of those mile long hooded Packards. I'm thinkin these cars had air starters. :confused:
    One year around Christmas time they each wanted to drive one of their old Packards in the downtown parade. I was asked to drive the other "old Yeller" 32 Packard. My wife and son rode in the rumble seat.

My wife is no longer hot looking to many. But don't tell her about riding in your rumble seat. the grandkids might freak out!

Memories from Model T

18. autobilly

autobilly

Never had one but always thought they are cool. Also like the names; Rumble and Dickie(s)!:D

19. autobilly

autobilly

Best of both worlds.

20. F&J

F&J

I'd rather sit in the front and stare at this dash....:cool:

Attached Files:

21. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

My first ride in a hot rod is a very vivid memory. I was three or four years old, riding in the rumble seat of my Dad's friend's '31 A Coupe. I cant remember what the occasion was, or where we were going, but I do remember the wind, the rumble of the car's 327, and that shiny black on black, on black coupe.

Its probably one of the biggest reasons why I've got two Model A's in the garage today, almost three decades later...

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Cool pic of Jimmy Cagney

23. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Good memories, in the making. Fireworks aren't always safe either. But sure are fun & great memories. Keepin Rumble in both Model A's.
    But; lets see some seatbelt options?
    I can relate to 8yo's layin on the floor, rain or shine, it's always cooler to ride away from the bus stop in the Rumble.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  24. [​IMG]

I rode from Modesto Ca to Kingman Kansas in the back of this one when I was 7...

Sam

25. Spooky Two

Spooky Two
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

That's a sweet ride SamIyam! I love the whole Mother-in-Law Top.
    I've always wanted to pattern a chopped version. Perhaps... that would be more strange than sinister?
    One things for sure, my '29 Roadster's keeping it's rumble seat. I was a pretty happy fellow when I realized it was a rumble, even though it was modified to a trunk. I am still looking for original hinge brackets, mine have been torched off.
    Both my Dad's '29 Cabriolet and my Brother-in-Law's '32 3w have their "Rumbles". Dad's Cab rumble I am always in, and so is just about every old gal that eyes that back seat and asks the old man "you mind if I climb in, for the memory?". Then the giggling starts... Geez, just what the heck did go on back in the day anyhow?:D

26. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Making memories. if you look close you will see my two curly head kids in the back. They ride on one of the sofa cushions for now. Mom is real happy about that. Ha ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383728912.707554.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spent many a mile in rumble seats. In my youth my brother and I were stuffed into the rumble seat of a Model A cpe. My Dad and uncle were going to an auction in Pontiac, MI and we lived in Allen Park, a little over an hour's drive in a regular car, in the A closer to 1 1/2. By the time we got there the thrill was long gone, and being a late season event so was the warmth of the sun. I remember freezing my ass off and sharing ducking down in the floor for heat. My uncle was a bit of a prick. He didn't want us under the seat back, wanted to see us both at all times. My suggestion that he ride back there and I'll drive didn't go over very well either. We still kept going under for cover from the cold so he pulled over to yell at us for it. Telling him that was the plan, for him to pull over also didn't go over well. Dad got it though. We ended up at a little diner somewhere and had nice hot cup of coffee (yes I've been drinking coffee since my teens). Once back on the road the adults gave up their jackets and we went the remaining miles a bit more comfortable and warmer. Would I do it again, ride that far? In a heartbeat, but I'd be prepared.

28. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

The wife and I were over at her parents place one evening and I was talking with her dad about which way I should go on my Hudson coupe build, rumble seat or trunk. As soon as her mom said "RUMBLE SEAT! that way I can sit back there and wave at my friends as we are driving around town"......trunk it is!!! :D:D:D

29. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

30. I remember huddling down on the floor board in our Model A when it was cold... But then we experienced another problem. Asphyxiation!! Our lips would turn blue! That was until my dad ran the tail pipe out past the rear bumper...

Problem solved.

Sam