Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Bell Housing HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64ONEOFF, Nov 4, 2013.

1. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Just finished my '53 flathead. The next step is adding an 89 Mustang T5. I've seen all the available adaptor plates, but I am not sure if I have the right bell housing for the adaptors. I have two bell housing, not sure which is which. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks:confused:

Attached Files:

2. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Need to know myself......something tells me that maybe neither of them are what you need, but ill be waiting to hear from the more experienced.

3. Shop boy

Shop boy

The one on the left looks like a Merc bell housing? Not sure what the one on the right is.
    I use the Ford truck bell house, known as the 8RT. It is a cast bell housing and all that I have also have the 8RT in the casting. These bell housings have a starter mounting plate that is separate but required to bolt up the starter. I have only used the GM T5 so not sure about the Mustang? But my guess is that the truck bell housing will also be the ticket.
    By the way, if you do have a Merc bell housing the starter plate is made with a built in angle to match the bell house angle and allows the starter to mount correctly. If mismatched the starter will bolt up at an angle and not align properly.

4. For the best pictorial on Ford flathead bellhousings, starter plates, etc., and their differences, go here: http://www.flatheadv8.org/bellhousing.pdf This should answer all your questions...
    As far as the adapter you'll probably need (but I'm not sure)... http://www.speedwaymotors.com/GM-Manual-Trans-to-1949-64-Ford-Bellhousing-Adapter,20628.html
    I apologize if I'm off on any of my info (and I hope someone will correct me), but I think the stamped steel housing on the left is 49-51 Ford. The one on the right is a one year only 53 Ford truck (8RT) housing. The advantage of the 8RT housing is it's the only one I know of that you can make a crossmember for if you feel the need (kinda convenient if you need to pull that T-5, or you'll need to put something under your flattie since there's nothing holding your motor besides the front mounts, right?). However, if I recall correctly, the bolt pattern is different on the 8RT as it used a different trans and therefore the above listed adapter won't work. There's tons of guys here who could probably make their own adapter for that 8RT housing, but I'm not one of them by a long shot.
    Maybe Flat Ernie or other flathead gurus will find this thread and he can chime in.

5. Flat Ernie,Dick Spadero or Krylon.All on here.
    ^^^^(spell ck)

6. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

I think you are going to want a bell housing like in picture 1 of the link rod guy sent, but you want the cast iron version if you want to run a larger diameter clutch. the stamped steel one has a lip on the inside that will hit the pressure plate if running a large clutch. dont ask me for specifics, I really dont have all the answers on this one yet....

7. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

Thanks a lot fellas