Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 3100 Truck Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadams, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Thanks for the nice write-up on the altman latches. I've heard good things about them so they just might be in my future...
    And glad you got your passenger door figured out. That's looking great.

2. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

3. jjdow

jjdow
    from Iva, SC

Whew. I just finished reading your thread shadams. I know that I'll be back here checking on how you did things.

Great job! I can only hope that mine comes out half as good.

4. shadams

shadams

Have not done much lately, been too damn hot. But This morning, First day of fall, it was 60ish and not a cloud in the sky. Pulled truck truck out and took some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then decided to get my little turkey involved, she loved the truck so much she proclaimed it hers and gave it a big hug...

[​IMG]

Today she is 4 months old, man how time flys...

[​IMG]

So I spent about an hour blowing old headliner cardboard out of all the crevices, had previous done that when I first got it but guess I missed some, what a pain in the ass...
    Next I am going to pull the column, tape up the shifter and start seam sealing everything, then primer it all, the start doing some minor filler work.. I am probably just going to go black on the inside, although I might do something different for the dash alone, I got a quart of silver metallic from a 2012 GMC Sierra for free from the body shop, they ordered the wrong color and couldnt return it so I scooped it up..

5. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

Your truck is looking great, you've come a long way but I think your little girl is the really awesome part of your pics!!

6. shadams

shadams

Yea, me too...love her to death...

So today I got it all sealed up and primered, looks great ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. oldman2

oldman2

Inside looks good, your daughter is a sweetheart...Jim

8. Looking good brother! Especially the munchkin!

9. Nice! Is that the double bend 32" lokar?

Just wait till she likes "helping dada" on the mater truck....project will take on a whole mew meaning... trust me!

10. shadams

shadams

Thanks guys, she is such a good baby too, always smiling and has slept through the night since about 8wks old....

Anyway, yes, it is called the radical 32 if I remember right...fit perfect.. and with the stock seat is just the right height too...

11. shadams

shadams

BTW, thanks to Ryan and the guys for adding a traditional style vehicles forum, and not cutting mine out, I was sweating bullets!!

Speaking of which, I have planned for a while now to flip the white letters in, it just doesnt look right. I also have been looking around for a older style steering wheel, didnt realize at the time that a lot of 50's model wheels will fit or adapt to a later model column. Finally, I have decided that I am going to paint it. I want a dark satin navy blue.

Hope to work on it some more this weekend, it is finally cooling down some, at least in the AM anyway...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  12. shadams

shadams

So the dash, door jambs, back of cab and up above windshield are all smoothed out, just need final sanding, reprime, finish sand and paint. I am going to paint the dash and back of cab "metallic steel gray" and jambs black...

[​IMG]

Painted the back half of the floor and cab black, then applied "peel n seal" as an insulation/sound deadner. After it is all said and done I am going to have a panel made up and covered that will cover the back of the cab and the floor behind the seat riser. also a piece that will fit in the seat riser.

[​IMG]

I am always doing stuff out of order, I get bored doing one thing that isnt done and am anxious to start on something else...makes a hell of a lot more work for me....

13. oldman2

oldman2

Looking good...Jim

14. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Truck is looking great. Sorry to mess up your thread (deleting this won't hurt my feelings), but is that a Jack Russell / Shih Tzu? We have an 11 year old, she's my shop dog too. I found her on a jobsite as a thrown-away, mangy pup in 2003. Funny looking little thing with the snaggle teeth and underbite like yours but the smartest dog. Even our closest family still call her "him".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  15. shadams

shadams

Decided on Metallic Steel Gray for the dash and inner cab, painted the radio delete to see how it looked. I like it....

[​IMG]

Got the floor done and back side of the firewall painted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this has turned into sort of a rattle can build as it turns out. I stripped and repainted the dash trim with black hammer finish and it looks great, I am off this week on vacation, and tomorrow and tuesday is truck day, so lets see how much I can get done....

16. shadams

shadams

Oh and Leevon, awesome dog...I had written a post right after you put up the pics but it isnt there so I guess I never hit "post", anyway she is a Pug/Aussy Shepard mix...even has the one brown eye one blue eye thing goin on...

[​IMG]

17. oldman2

oldman2

Cab looking great...Jim

18. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Wow, your truck has come a long way from the beginning buddy.... great attention to the detail too! I prob should have changed out my latches as well. Keep at it!

19. shadams

shadams

Finally have a little something to show...I dont know why but for some reason I just cant get anything done these days. I will stay outside the same amount of time and not accomplish squat...esp when it comes to this bs painting stuff...

Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time priming, sanding, filling the dash and then painted it with a metallic gray on the dash and a hammer finish on the rest of the inside of the cab, minus the doors, have not got to them yet. After it was done i just could not get excited about it at all...

[​IMG]

So I sanded it back to bare metal, took all day..this time got my stud welder out and pulled a few dents, used a lot less filler afterwards. Got it etch primed, filler work, fill prime, glazed, fill primed again and just need to finish sand and repaint. Also sanded down the rest of the inside of the cab, just going with ol faithful satin black on the rest, the stuff looks great, what can I say...

[​IMG]

Now here is where it gets crazy. As I said, I am rattle canning this thing, inside at least, and I have spent many an hour at home depot/lowes looking for something different to use. Lots of choices, but kept coming back to this....I know, I know, even my wife liked the color but thinks it will look out of place.

[​IMG]

After the grey debacle, I drove out to get some of the blue and they were out...So the whole week I tried and tried to talk myself out of it, but today I found it and bought it...its on..

I have always had a secret crush on cars with metal flake and think it might look kinda neat, esp with the stainless pieces back on the dash. I half ass sanded the radio delete panel and hit it with some primer and then color to see what it looked like.

[​IMG]

At the time I bought the paint, I bought a can of satin clear, but I think it will look better nice and shiny so I better take my time with the prep or else you will see every little problem.

Here is a crappy shot of the back of the inside of the cab, looks really good, even though there are a few spots I could have done a little better with the filler. Oh well...

[​IMG]

So I had repainted the radio grill and back of the glove box with the hammer finish, as well as the rocker panels, so I decided to go ahead and paint the steering column with it to match. Came out nice..

Sanded and primed..

[​IMG]

Went straight to paint, no sanding, as the hammer finish hides stuff pretty well..

[​IMG]

Close up of the finish..

[​IMG]

So that is what I did in three weekends..Cant believe how long it takes to do this kind of stuff. I want to finish the dash and start on the doors, and I still need to fill that hole behind the pillar. Really need to sit down and write out a to do list and get better organized, then I can make some real progress. Also going to have to open my wallet soon....blaaaaa....

20. oldman2

oldman2

You are so right. Paint is one of those things that take forever to decide, but if it ain't right it ain't right. I think the blue will look good...Jim

21. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

My interior was done in almost the same color.

22. D-man313

D-man313

I know the feeling, I must have painted my dash 5 times before I decided what color I wanted.

23. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Shadam, just found this thread! Took several days to read all the way through. Quite the journey! (Belated congrats on the little one.) Hoping to make an AD my next project after I finish and tire of my current one. Your posts will definitely be a resource for me. Stick with it. I wish I'd focused more on my auto-projects earlier so I could have shared them with the kids instead of after but life has,a a way of filling up our time and I put them on the back burner. At least yours is almost done so you'll so be at the enjoyment stage. Good luck to you!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. shadams

shadams

Thanks man, it has been a trial for sure. I have said it before but I am horrible at sticking with things. But this one is getting done one of these days, hopefully soon. Cant wait for the kiddo to get big enough to understand and hopefully enjoy it...thanks...

25. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

26. Cool thread. Just found it and will read it all.

27. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Endless hours goes into prepping for paint and somehow it never looks like much was done but, itll be well worth it in the end! Wait till you do the entire truck... I know:D Keep at it buddy!

28. shadams

shadams

In my head it seems like it will be easier to do fenders/doors things like that. More work due to the size of course but maybe easier. The dash sucks cause its is all lumpy and swoopy and I am hunched over inside the cab.

In real life though it is going to be a ton of work. Thanks...

29. shadams

shadams

Changed my mind again, found this. Really more the color I was looking for than the previous one.

[​IMG]

Finally done. Matte clear and all. Not perfect, but I did it, and iys good enough for me...

[​IMG]

Better pic of the back of the cab..

[​IMG]

Got all the jambs done. Now to the doors...

[​IMG]

30. oldman2

oldman2

Nice looks good...Jim