Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clutch noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Nov 2, 2013.

1. usmile4

usmile4

After getting my 51 Chevy on the road and after driving it around for several months, I've developed an intermittent clutch grinding noise. I have a 61 235 engine, T5 trans, 10 1/2" clutch.

The noise is only when the clutch is depressed and not all the time. I can sometimes get it to start the noise by moving the shifter to the right like I'm going into 5th or R but again not all the time. And When I get the noise, if I let out the clutch and then depress it again, it often goes away.

My son used his iPhone to take this clutch noise video.

We used a stethoscope and it does not seem to be the throw out bearing or to be coming from the trans but more in the clutch area.

2. Fedman

Fedman

That sounds like the input shaft bushing in the back of the crankshaft.

It can come and go but it will not get better.

3. usmile4

usmile4

That was a new bushing 500 miles ago...I would think it should last longer than that.

4. 5559

from tn

throwout bearing ?

5. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Re-adjust the clutch. Make sure the throwout bearing is not spinning when the clutch is disengaged (pedal out). Lets look at the simple things first.
    Jay

6. Did you remove the tip of the pilot shaft before assembly? I've found the T-5's pilot is a little long for smallblock and/or a T-5/flathead ford swap. I generally remove 3/8ths inch from the end. Don't know if that's your problem or not but if it is, the input bearing could be in a bind.

7. Fedman

Fedman

Usmile4, when I rebuilt my Nailhead and installed the T5 I put a new bushing in and probably within 500 miles had that problem.
    What I failed to do the first time was dial indicate the bell housing to the crankshaft. When I checked it, it was out something like .017
    The bushing was destroyed.
    Alignment dowel pins are available and put it within spec.
    No more clutch problems.
    Good luck with your issue.

8. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This was the next step! Great advice!
    Jay

9. usmile4

usmile4

I have an adapter plate from Buffalo Enterprises that is supposed to take that extra space so the tip does not need to be cut back. I did not, nor do I know how to, dial indicate the bell to the crankshaft.

10. Fedman

Fedman

Go to youtube and search for bell housing alignment, there are some tutorials there to get you going in the right direction.
    It might seem complicated, but it is not when you get going on it.
    This is a critical step in keeping the crank,clutch & tranny happy! ;)