Register now to get rid of these ads!

Can someone identify this bus?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ga66mopar, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I found this old bus sitting in a junkyard. The headlight buckets appear to be in pretty good shape. I didn't have time to get them off but they look like they could be used on a project. Anybody know what year this is?

Attached Files:

2. F&J

F&J

37-38 chev. my guess

3. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

It also has a very large radiator.

4. 39 or 40 chev, only one body line on the cowl, 37 had 2

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The '40 Chevy grill extends into the fenders and it's not a '39. '36 maybe?

6. F&J

F&J

Most GM Harrison radiators have a 2 digit year date right on the tag :)

7. Front fenders aren't right to be 36, and the 36 had headlights mounted off fenders. I would have said 37-39 and since someone identified the body line, I'd go with 39 then.

8. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

there's gotta be some other good stuff there.

9. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Has to e a '38 then because the '39 has those big inserts in the front fenders.

10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could it possibly be a GMC rather than a Chevy?...and the engine be a Jimmy six? The later ones had the GMC logo enbossed on the valve cover. I don't know if the earlier ones did.

Definitely grab the headlights. I'd get the horns too. And if it's a Jimmy, maybe the engine too. Also get the little cooling fan from inside if it's in there. I'd also be tempted to take the tall floor-shift lever for a future project...the knob too if it's still good.

11. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

Thanks for the advice. I also found a complete 348 engine that I would love to get but it would have to be taken apart to move.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  12. Model T1

Model T1

Hell with the headlights Columbo. Drag that bus home and build a cool camper or car carrier.

13. Or perhaps a '39 GMC?
    [​IMG]

14. raymay

raymay

The curved shape of the grille shell does look very much like a 37 Chevy truck.
    In 1937 the Bender Body Co. in Cleveland built interstate passenger buses using the 37 Chevy truck noses. I am sure other companies may have also purchased chassis with truck front sheet metal for their coach building.
    If you get back to the junkyard, check for a coach builders tag which should help identify it.

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

16. factory, sealed beams, started in 1940 for gm trucks. gmc would be embossed in the valve cover and cast into the thermostat housing. gmc's used phillips screws chevy used clutch head. as said check the radiator for a date. 39 and 40 fenders where the same except 40 had parking lights on the top of the fender...but i have seen exceptions. 38 chevy radiator shells had the top piece removable [as seen in your photo] 37 chevy they were part of the shell. 37 chevy grills arched up and back, 38 arched up and back, but had a "bump" . i think the one you posted is a '39 gmc

17. Ga66mopar

Ga66mopar
    from Ga

I picked up the headlight buckets and horn. The buckets have some rust on the bottom but they are fixable. The horns looks to be good shape but I doubt they work. The bus looks like it was someones home at so point. It has a wood stove mounted towards the rear. No telling what's the history of this bus. Maybe it belonged to Charles Manson:) Thanks

18. did you get more pictures? did you get the headlight stands? from the clues we gave you can you tell what year/model?