Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T5 or C4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel Walters, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Mel Walters

Mel Walters

I have a 1950 Shoebox Ford with a 289 engine. It currently has a T5 transmission in it but no clutch set up. I'm guessing I will have to use a hydraulic clutch set up or would I be better off just to put a C4 in it? Your opinions? The T5 is already mounted in the car and I kinda like shifting I am concerned about the expense of going hydraulic vs a C4.

2. Mark T

Mark T

I think the hydraulic set up will cost less than switching over to a C4, unless you already have the C4 and shifter.

Early 90's Ford trucks and probably others used a Hydraulic clutch, maybe you can use parts from a junk yard to convert yours.

Search here on the HAMB, I bet someone has made the conversion.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. Check Flat Ernie's T5 tech for setups, pretty well covered ad nauseum in there..

4. 3 speed auto vs 5 speed O/D
    national average gal gas $3.26

...I switched from a C4 to an Aod in my F1 this year and paid for it in the gas I saved all summer.
    Goodluck

5. Stick with the T-5 transmission,,it's worth any additional cost. HRP

6. JEM

JEM

Why in this day and age would someone contemplate a 3-speed automatic in a street car that wasn't an original/period resto?

7. Mercuryv8

Mercuryv8

Fox body mustang T5 all used a cable clutch. You could use one of those or an aftermarket intended for that crowd.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have three freakin' C/4s I'd give you if you were on this coast! That would be terrible waste to go backwards. Stick with the T-5 and have a many times more drivable car that gets decent mileage to boot. Not entirely sure why you think you need to go to a hydraulic clutch, but it's not a bad idea. Otherwise adapt the stock pedals to a Mustang type cable clutch.

9. _sir_charles_of_reno

_sir_charles_of_reno

If you go on Craigslist 9 out of 10 times you will find someone parting out a fox body mustang or already find someone selling a complete conversion around 500 bucks.

10. JEM

JEM

A well-done hydraulic clutch is nicer to drive and less exhaust clearance and etc hassles than a cable or linkage.

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I sure wouldn't let the cost of a hydraulic clutch setup be the determining factor in choosing between an automatic and manual trans.

12. prpmmp

prpmmp

I know you already have a T-5,a M5R2 from a 1988 to 1993? ford truck will bolt right up to your motor and you can use the stock hydr throwout bearing,its a 5 speed and the stick is in the middle of the trans which works out well for floor location. just a thought!! Pete

13. free55

free55

It's a Ford T5, keep it! And yes, it's cable operated so it's not too expensive. Plus you have TWO extra gears. It'll save gas and the motor.

14. You don't have to use a hydraulic clutch,all you need is a quadrant attached to your clutch pedal and a cable,,that's what I used in the wagon.

You can rob the quadrant from a fox body Mustang or buy one from Summit and they also have the cable. HRP

15. metal man

metal man

Maybe they want an automatic that isn't gigantic. The Ford AOD is huge and a C4 is quite petite, saves some room in the car. I've got a C4 in my '40 and I am very fond of it, although if I were building the car today I would probably use an AOD. I built that car in 1986-87 for peanuts.

16. metal man

metal man

Mel, I think you answered your own question when you said you like to shift, and you don't need some $600 kit to make it happen.