Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 338ci Y-Block Wrapped Up in '30 Model A Tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Feb 2, 2012.

1. The car will have a boarder of "Long Grain Cobra" around the opening in the top, then a snap on Tonneau made of the same material. I like to drive it open but want to cover it too.

2. Hey, great work there. Are you going to pinstripe the belt lines of the body? -G.

3. Yes! :D

4. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Your car turned out great! One of the best A sedans out there.

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:) It's going to be a legend. :cool::D

6. DRD57

DRD57

Lookin' good!

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Tim, You have your self one very sweet "A" Sedan ! Way to go my friend !

Will ya be at El Mirage on the 10th ?

Dave

8. Yes indeed! ;)

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I love it. Looks great.

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

Any plans for the tailpipes?

11. 4rod

4rod

wow Tim, Beautiful...you inspire me!...just beautiful, a piece of ART

12. Actually, Yes! This is a temporary exhaust, there will be one made of U-Bends so there is no crimping and the welds will be smoothed out. Glass packs and straight pipes out the back close to the diff. That's the plan anyway. ;)

13. Thank you all for the kind comments! It's coming out better than I had imagined. And I thank all who have helped.

14. 16s or 24" glasspacks? I have run both on the T and on the 54. I like the sound.

15. Just as a reference, the T-Bird has 2" pipes with 18" glass packs installed backwards. I couldn't do any larger due to space.

With that engine, I'd go 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" diameter if you have the space.

Sure is looking good!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. It's 2" now and I will probably stick with that since that fits the Rams the best. 8" Glass packs was what I was thinking. Backwards? What's the difference in sound? :rolleyes:

17. daddio211

daddio211

Look inside a glasspack. Mounted normally the louvers scoop the exhaust from the engine into the glass packing. There are usually lots of rows (number depending in muffler length) scooping the exhaust out of the center, and only a few to let the exhaust return to the pipe.

Reversed, you get less exhaust through the packing and more down the tube. Meaning more sweet NOISE!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

18. Yep, nailed it.

Warning, the following is an OPINION & will probably rub some the wrong way:

With glass packs installed as designed, they tend to create a bit of a "fluffy" or "farty" sound due to the air getting diverted into the fiber packing. When you put them in backwards, it's more crisp. Also a little louder, and a little more "rap" as the RPM's climb. Interestingly, I find there's less of the annoying "back-rap" with associated popping as the engine decelerates.

I will say that reversed glass packs are (again, my opinion) the closest thing you can get to straight pipes with a muffler. Having said that, tube diameter plays a HUGE part in determining whether you have a higher pitched cackle, or a deeper muscle sound.

Your "A" sounds bitchin as it is, so I wouldn't expect much change with the finished, mandrel bent exhaust other than looks. Just might breathe a little better, given the open area of the given diameters:

2" tubes have 3.14" of x-sectional flow area
    2 1/4" tubes have 3.98" of x-sectional flow area (27% improvement over 2")
    2 1/2" tubes have 4.91" of x-sectional flow area (23% improvement over 2 1/4", and 56% more than 2")

Something to think about...

19. So BRTodd, your opinion please....
    Since reversed glass packs don't scoop the exhaust, and will be louder, would you normally go longer on a reversed set up than a normal one?

20. EBW

EBW

Thanks Daddio and BRT for the info !

21. Good info BRT!

Tim, you may want to look into a set of Porters. They sound amazing on my 272....couldn't be ANY happier. Definitely built to last and made here in the USA. Nice Alliance discount too.

Ok, the commercial is over now:rolleyes:

22. Tim, I have never read one of these builds from beginning to end but I started yours early this afternoon & after 2 1/2 football games & a Nascar race I finally got to the end, as of now. This is a fantastic build & a joy to read & follow. Good luck with your ride & am looking forward to the next one. If I wasn't all the way across the USA from you I'd love to see it. Carry on!!

23. Yeah, that would be my inclination. I have my exhaust guy put in what fits best, and 18" fit well in my case. I also did it because that is what my uncle had on it.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Tim!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. No problem Todd. I knew about the louvers but wasn't sure about the sound difference. I may go 2 1/4", I just took the pipes off yesterday to see how they look "Blacked out" and I think the 2" is a little small for the "Rams Horns". BTW Black BBQ paint on the pipes makes them not stand out so much. ;)

25. John Deere Muffler black holds up best. I am sure one of your implement places will have it.

26. daddio211

daddio211

27. 4rod

4rod

I have always reversed glass packs... however I've also found different manufactors give a different sound...Cherry bombs are more tinny, my fav are smithy's...a throaty rumble...Ive also heard the different lengths have different tones...also, placing the pack as close to the engine as possible...you guys prob, know this already...sorry for beating a dead horse...I put reversed cherry bombs on my 54 f100 w/ a 272Y...I would have preferred smithy's...last lthing I also heard reversing the packs allows the glass to blow out faster thus making it louder? is that right? I understand the louvers reversed creat more restriction thus more pressure creating that rumble sound

28. Lookin great Timmer, betcha Kath is happy!

29. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mIvyXnXXyCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

soooo jealous I want a yblock now !