Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 66 Vette Gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 231ramona, Sep 3, 2008.

1. 231ramona

231ramona

Still looking for info on this car. Surely someone knows the driver in the picture. These pictures were taken around 1970.

Attached Files:

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Hey! Good to hear from you! I don't know how I missed this thread. Joshua Shaw here. My dad (Dan) and I found that Vette in southern Ohio (way east of Cincinnati) back in 08! When we sold it to you guys, we knew ya'll were going to try to get it going for BG... We've looked for it every year wondering what ever happened to it.
    It's looking good man! All the work your doing was NEEDED and is being done correctly. but--

FINDING THE ORIGINAL PICTURES OF THE CAR!!!!! :eek::eek:
    WOW WOW WOW!!

We could see that is was Green and Panel painted at one time. We imagined it had to have been pretty and IT WAS!! It would be HARD not to put it back to that. ;)

-----------------------------

I don't remember if you knew how we found it or not.. but either way, the readers will enjoy this.

Dad letters and pinstripes trucks for a living. He was lettering some dump trucks at a trucking company and the guy had a couple drag cars and a bunch of engines and parts. Dad bought a couple 327 Chevy blocks and heads off of him and they began talking. Dad told him he likes OLD STUFF. Old front engine dragsters and gassers. To that the guy replied "I got an old 66' vette in a trailer out back that has a straight axle under it but I don't know if its as old as what your looking for?" It was snowing heavily that day and the Vette was in a Semi truck trailer way back in the woods, so they didn't go look that day, they set it up for the following weekend. Plus the guy had to move another trailer that was blocking the door.
    We got there and the guy said "Well, I got good news and bad news... I got the trailers moved with the backhoe but a tree fell on the trailer with the vette a few years ago and the rain and weather might have gotten in on the car" :confused:
    Dad and I gave each other a glance and thought "SHIT!" We got to the trailer and the ROLL UP door was rotted and rusted shut!! The OWNER fired up his bobcat and JAMMED the teeth of the bucket into the door and started ripping it open!!! I thought 'This isn't looking good'. The door raised about 2 feet and dad told me to climb up in there and see how bad it is. I climbed in, turned the flash light on and was ASTONISHED to see a DRY FLOOR in the trailer. The tree had bent the hell out of the trailer but had NOT broken through! I made my way to the vette and there she was! At first glance it looked like an ugly 80's drag car (Which it was).. but the more I looked I realized this was an old drag car! Olds rear end, Watts link, Stright Axle, parallel leafs, Tilt Front end, and wild early 70's Body mods.. We decided it was worth trying to get. We knew with the right set of wheels and a different Hood it would be a DIFFERENT CAR!
    A deal was struck and a roll back called in to wench it out of the trailer. We pulled Wheels and tires out of our stock. Made a couple calls and found a "Grade B" Stinger hood for it that was cut for injectors. I painted the hood and a couple primer spots maroon to match and it was ready to sell.

Here are 4 pictures of it when we got it home and washed it. As you can see, the Hood scoop was TERRIBLE and the wheel were just Wrong! But it had potential!!

Glad your enjoying it!

Let us know when you get it done.

Joshua Shaw

Attached Files:

3. The thread was started in 2008,,wasn't you deployed at that time? HRP

4. I love Vette gassers! Nice car...

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Haha!! Yeah, possibly. Lol. That would make since.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Found this on another site.

[​IMG]

7. 231ramona

231ramona

Thanks for posting the picture Gasser 57, what site did you find the picture on? Josh, I sent you a PM. Here are some current pictures of the car. I REALLY need to get my ass in gear and finish this thing. I have done a few things since these pictures were taken but you can get and idea of where it's going.

Attached Files: