Register now to get rid of these ads!

1939 chevy master deluxe rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turbojet93, Sep 18, 2013.

1. turbojet93

turbojet93
    from Florida

I have a 1939 chevy master deluxe. I would like to change my rear end because instead of the drum brakes i would like disc. My question is what would fit. I have read a few post that said nova, s10 etc but nothing in detail. The front end of my chevy was swapped for 68 camero front end. Any info would be very appreciated. Thank you

2. aaggie

aaggie

I used a complete rear from a 2001 Ford Explorer under my '40. It comes with disk brakes and usually a 3.73 Posi gear set. I welded on new spring pads and fabricated a bracket for the parking brake cables.

3. trukin55

trukin55

I have a 34 Chevy 2 door sedan. I needed something just to roll it around so I bought a 89 S10 2 wheel drive rear end. It was way to narrow. I ended up with a Mid 80's full size truck rear end under it and am very happy with the fit and look. It is in place and far from driving. But again the fit was nice. I can make any further adjustments with back space on wheels if needed when the time comes. Not sure if frame dimensions are same in the 34 vs. your 39, but thought it might help.

4. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

68 Camaro or Nova. Should be close to the same track width as your Camaro front track........... Jeff

5. bandit1950

bandit1950
    from Santa rosa

Nissan or Toyota rear ends if you are wanting to stay 6 lug. Or look for the chevy luv truck rear ends. A few came with six lug. Otherwise when I had my 39 I measured up a chevy cyclone and typhoon, both have disc brakes and are 5 lug leaf spring trucks making them a simple weekend change out.

6. btbowtie

btbowtie
    from KY

Look into a s-10 4x4 blazer. The later models have disc brakes. They are 59" wide which I
    am pretty sure your stock 39 Chevy rear end measures. Most have 3:42 gears which is nice with 700r4 trans.