Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage hot rod parts overload/going to the scrapper PICS FIXED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Sep 29, 2013.

1. ray

ray
    from colorado

it seems clear the scrapper knows he is sitting on gold, and is more than willing to get it into the hands of those who can and will save it, rather than crush it. it's also clear that the parties involved seem to want exclusive picking rights for as long as they can, so they are keeping that info secret. i guess they're doing him a favor by keeping people from waving fistfuls of cash in his face. thanks for sharing the pics, though. i've enjoyed them.

2. daddio211

daddio211

3. Yes since our location is listed under our avatars, there are pictures of the location in post #1, and the location is even named in post #93...

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

If I was able to financially, I would have been asking you what else was there that I could use, and coming down with a truck. Seriously. I'd be pretty comfortable in assuming that I could unstick both of them, and the one in the photo looks to be '54-later, so it will also have the big port heads, and the spark plug tubes are there, thats another plus. The goofy truck type timing cover is a negative, but man, I'd LOVE to have both motors. And I dont really even need them for anything specific, I already have a desoto for my T.
    After my last post, I went out to the shop and was thinking about if there was some way I could swing it financially, maybe do it in two days and sleep in the truck, but my wife would shit a brick if I spent $600 some-odd bucks making a 2000 mile trip to get two motors I really didnt need, and if she divorces me, it'll take a lot longer to finish the T.:eek:

It kills me to see two 331 cores going for scrap. You would make a good buck pulling those out of the pile and even just parting them out. The heads and rockers are worth a few bucks, even if you cant be bothered to soak the short blocks in diesel and unstick them. Maybe someone else will see this thats a little closer, like Spokane or Oregon or something, and make you an offer. I just HATE to see those scrapped. REALLY. Yard art panel truck? Eh. Two usable hemi cores? OUCH!

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well let me put it this way. I paid $500 for a pretty complete (spark plug covers are missing) 271 Desoto core, and it was close to 1000 miles away in Alberta, it has a rod journal that needs welding, and I feel I got a pretty good deal. The engine DID have all its tin in really good condition, which was important to me, because I want to plate a lot of it, but it is a core. You just dont see industrial and truck 331's around here, or very many other chryslers for that matter, I see guys asking around a grand for motors that I would consider a core. I dont know if they actually get that.

If siezed truck 331's are littering the ground down there, maybe I will make a trip to Bonneville next year, and while I'm there, give one of you guys a call.;):D I dont know what I need one for, but I know I want one!

6. So because one guy can't afford to come pick them up, they have no value?

Put them on eBay - they will sell. Just because they were industrial motors doesn't mean shit - the heads and block and all that are the same. And since Hemi heads, blocks, cranks don't exactly grow on trees anymore, it's rather foolish to scrap even a motor that's laid outside forever without picking the core parts off it.

7. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

What the? LOL... Next time don't just look at the pictures. Read the words. It will all make more sense.

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, seriously. You DID just see where Big Mac offered to grab the two Chryslers and give them to me, just to see if I was nuts enough to make a 2000 mile round trip to get them, right? I hardly think implying that he is some sort of automotive carpet bagger is justified.

9. BigMac....sorry not in a position to come pick the 62' up...we're headed south and up to the Northeast this month....just the wheels and drums bring good money...

10. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Big Mac, Milkweed, Carbs, and any other Utah HAMBrs who were lucky enough to save some of this stuff, would hookup a fellow HAMBr any day of the week before selling on eBay for more money. As envious as we may be, glad some of our own got in there before Rat Rodders or 'Pickers' did. All these parts will find good homes now.

11. Whoa - don't volunteer me for anything! :D

Just kidding. I'd let stuff go. I already sold the Super Duty scoop (for less than half the price of a fiberglass repop) to someone. I pulled stuff out so it could be used - not to turn into another place like where it just came from.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Ya, and milkweed is giving some 409 heads to daddio for free! Ha ha ha ha....

13. Keep at it guys, the good karma points are racking up in your accounts!

14. daddio211

daddio211

15. jreeder41

jreeder41

Great job guys!! You should just have a big Hambers yard sale and Bar-b-que!!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Geez! I just spotted the T-10 in Milkweeds post! I'm seriously green now!

17. castirondude

castirondude

amazing pictures. There is always a special atmosphere in abandoned buildings like that

Hoarders have a mental defect. There was one in the town I grew up in. He came from somewhat of a wealthy family I think, owned a hotel and bar. He just owned warehouse upon warehouse full of stuff. Even his car, a station wagon, I walked by it from time to time and it was permanently used as storage, just barely enough room left for him to get in and drive it. When you went there and dusted off any small little thing and asked how much it cost, it was some prized posession, like new, demanding a premium price, take it or leave it. Needless to say it all went to the dump when he died. What an idiot, wasted both his own fortune and all the materials he collected.

18. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Apparently there was a trailer full of 4 speed trannys that got hauled out of there before we got to it.

19. Ruiner

Ruiner

Any luck finding anymore greenline gauges? ;-)

20. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Ya man I have some. I got your PM. I just haven't sorted through everything yet. I will set them aside for you.

21. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Anybody know how to identify a hurst 4 speed shifter? I found a NOS shifter, and three NOS shifter arms. The numbers weren't on the hurst website. Any secret to decoding/identifying these buggers?

22. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382882606.607515.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382882622.899360.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382882639.714745.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382882658.079112.jpg

23. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Not as much as I thought, but there are a couple decent green line gauges, and a few that are in poor shape but are a different style:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382887690.523901.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382887713.003851.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382887846.347680.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382887864.980039.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382887882.870458.jpg

24. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Someone asked me about sun gauges. This is all I got except for some tachs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, none of these gauges have been cleaned up AT ALL. Straight from the bin covered in dust. I don't know if any of them even work, so keep that in mind.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  25. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'd love a little help identifying these sets:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382888120.833271.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382888133.532493.jpg

26. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Anyone looking for some European stuff? I'm guessing these came from the sunbeam alpine?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382888297.683703.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382888312.377183.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382888332.622777.jpg

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

At least they werent scrapped!

28. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Wow I would love to be there to see all this stuff,but iam about 4500 miles away,the hurst shifter looks like one that would have come in a early 70's mopar,had a 70 road runner that had a very similar shifter,it was a pistol grip style,hurst shifter was stock.Not much help,but I love this type of thread,love digging around in old hoarders shops. Harvey

29. Mac, I am interested in that 1st speedo

30. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Wow! I bet I said that word a dozen times while looking at the pictures. Its great that you and your team are able to save lots of this stuff. That fact the scrapper is willing to store stuff at his dads farm is a big plus. No doubt y'all will recoup your investment plus lots more. This is a great thread and I wanna follow it to the end.