Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Organizing a show, need some advise.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrsautografx, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

I am in the processing of organizing a charity car show for my kids school and could use some advise. I tried this a few years ago but they announced the school was closing while I was in the middle of organizing it. What are some ways I can make money at the show? I was advised not charge admission for spectators or registration fee for the cars and to run it more like a cruise night. I am planning on heavily promoting it with several radio stations and flyers at businesses. I would like to do trophies, dash plaques or event stickers, raffles, food, DJ, vendor area and stuff for kids. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

50/50 raffle, have the school clubs auction off some community service time. Ask for items to be donated for a silent auction. If your are going to judge have the participents do the judging. Trophies and dash plaque cost money, see if you can get local business to sponsor them, Get the ford dealer to sponsor the trophy for best Ford, etc. Involve local car clubs to help with set up and pre event promoting.

3. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

Thanks, forgot to mention it's an elementary school, Pre-K-4.

4. oldolds

oldolds

Get somebody to sponser it that can provide insurance. Or will the school do it? If you get a car club involed they usually have event insurance. You don't want someone getting hurt on your watch and have to pay for it as well.

5. What about put a vote box infront of each car, the votes are in green backs.

6. Photogs189

Photogs189

We have done Ad Books for Car Shows that we havve done.
    Sell ads to local businesses.
    Full Page, Half page and business card size.
    If you have a local tech school with a print shop that might help you out.
    If not use the business art work and Xerox (Scan)them.

Also try and get your trophies and dash plaques sponsered by local businesses.
    Put their name on the trophy plate. Cut down on trophy and dash palque costs.

I agree with oldolds. Make sure you have the event insured.

7. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

Thanks for the ideas. Anymore would be great.

8. a local club has an event to raise money for the hospital they charge $5.00 to display and don't charge the spectators but has donation boxes on each side of entrance they have vendor booth also sell food hot dogs, hamburgers, and chicken burgers and drinks(lots of water)they have live music and a dj very nice ambience.this year car count was down because of weather and cars are starting to come in from greater distances.

9. I think most car owners are usually glad to pony up $10 to register and even $20 if they know most of it is going to a good cause. If you don't charge spectators at least put a nicely done sign at the gate saying "No admission for spectators but donations gladly accepted".

10. rustang

rustang

+1...... sell some food (the kids could do this with parents help.

Minimal gate gee of $5 per car, do not charge for spectators.

If it is a school function, have a class for model cars, possibly bikes to get the kids involved (they also bring parents)

If you do trophies, get trophy sponsors (car parts stores, grocery stores, hardware stores) and make a banner up of the sponsors so they get exposure).

I would suggest spectator judging for a show like this, make it fun and not too serious.

50/50 raffle, try to have a couple per show.

Make sure everyone knows where the money is going for. Charitable events loosen up the purse strings.

Set a reasonable time for the show, like 9-3 for the first year.

Plan for some activities. Raffle prizes, etc.

Good luck, and above all have fun!
    Tom

11. jrsautografx

jrsautografx

Thanks for the input. Definitely going with sponsors. The restaurant the lot is on may sponsor the best in show, local Chevy and Mopar dealers were going to sponsor best in show for their make. Definitely going to lower my planned registration fee and no charge for admission (donations accepted sounds really good.) Lots of great ideas, thanks guys. Keep them coming.

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

What I have learned is to not mess with the 50/50 drawings. You give away half the profit that way.
    People usually spend so much out of their pocket for raffle tickets. No reason to give it back in cash.
    Find a person who is good at asking for donations. Bundle up the prizes. We used to be able to get a Hotel to donate a few nights, then different restaurants, massage, bar etc, Make up a big combined package for a week end getaway.
    You will be surprised how many places are willing to donate.
    Then as for drawing the tickets. Draw the first one yourself. Then when the winner comes up to get his or her prize have them pick the next winner. This keep any doubt that you are picking for friends etc out of the picture.

13. Photogs189

Photogs189

Not sure when you show is, but you should advertise the show early.
    Like Hemmings and events section in your newspaper, send emails to local car clubs.

Depending on when the show is you should try and get items for goodie bags. Participants enjoy getting these and here you can put in information on what you are planing to do the day of the show.\

If you can get a local band to donate their time for entertainment for the crowd.

Decide when in the day you are going to give out the trophies. Because after the presentations most cars will leave. It is like the closing ceremony.

14. jdubbya

jdubbya

Instead of buying trophies, you could either make them out of old parts, bowling pins, etc. Or what I did at a weekly cruise night that I run for many years, I would purchase a die-cast car (usually $10.00) and attach it to a simple wood plaque that could be purchased at a craft store for a couple bucks. I would paint the plaque, attach the car with some staples and zip ties, and apply a home made tag to it. All who attended and were rewarded loved them.
    Local businesses may be willing to foot the bill for dash plaques, no need to buy hundreds, limit them to the first 25-50 cars. I would always hit up local towing companies, auto parts stores, repair shops, and other surrounding places, for donations. Simple cleaning supplies, gift certificates, or a hat, make great door prizes, and it good advertising for the businesses.
    I made sure to mention the donation sources several times during the evening, to show appreciation. Good luck, a little footwork, and imagination go along way.