Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Satin Black Paint? What's the best option???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Texascash, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Texascash

Texascash
    from Texas

My son wants to paint the '55 Chevy we are building for him Satin Black. We are stripping it to bare metal and going from there. What would be the best paint and process to go with for a good long lasting paint job???

2. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

The absolute best quality paint process would be black basecoat with clear with a flattening agent added, it will look like flat black but have the durability of a base/clear paintjob.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. If you are taking the car to bare metal use a etching primer and as for paint,I have had good luck with Kirker S.G. hot rod black.

It's been on my truck for 7 years now. HRP

[​IMG]

4. INDEPENDENT_1

INDEPENDENT_1

Hi, I am new here so you can take this information for what it's worth. I run a Harley-Davidson performance shop and recently used their "black denim" paint. It is a base coat then a satin clear coat is applied over the base coat. My painter has used all kinds of different paints and he told me that the paint that I took him from Harley was the best paint he had ever shot. He said it laid down really nice and went further than other paints he had used. It is not cheap paint and it has a different mixing ratio than other paints as well. Just throwing that out there, hope it is useful as an option for you. Good luck with your project!

5. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I used SEM hot rod black. I'm happy with the finish.

6. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

John Deere "Blitz Black" enamel. I've used it several times w/ great success.

7. rustang

rustang

+1 SEM Hot rod Black is a urethane matte black...I found it sprays good, has great durability, and looks great....

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have used acrylic enamel and just add flattner to get what you like.

9. crusty a

crusty a

John Deere. Definitely. Lays down real nice.

10. indyjps

indyjps

I agree on using an automotive enamel and adding a flattening agent, at least with this you can DA it and top coat it later.

11. Texascash

Texascash
    from Texas

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the info!

12. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Hadn't heard about John Deere Blitz Black but
    Found this info at http://blitzblack.com/

John Deere Blitz Black is a suede/satin black enamel paint manufactured by Valspar. It's manufactured for use on their farm equipment. It's durability, look and low cost (around $25 a gallon) have
    become popular with custom car builders and hot rodders to give their car the old "hot rod" look that won't fade away and is very durable to the elements.

This paint can be applied anywhere including high heat areas.

According to John Deere, you CAN paint over John Deere Blitz Black with another coat of Enamel paint.

Valspar used to make Tractor Supply paint which a lot of folks seemed to like as a low cost solution. (Not the stuff they sell now.)

13. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Blitz Black with John Deere Hardner added is very durable.

14. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

do not add extra hardener to any paint! it will NOT become more durable, trust me.

15. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

JD Blitz Black is an exceptional value. I'd still use an experienced painter to lay it down properly, given the satin finish shows application flaws/overlap/overspray more so than the gloss finishes & can't be corrected w/ a simple color sand/polish.

If you are doing it yourselves, JD may be more forgiving to your wallets for practice too...

$0.02

16. Sherwin Williams makes a product called DTM. Its an alkyd enamel in satin black. Awesome stuff and hardens up nicely. Pretty cheap too!

17. SherrillHotrods

SherrillHotrods

Hotrod flatz. Check then out. They have all kinds of satin colors.

18. MrWatts

MrWatts

Is the clear coat with flattening agent common? My dad just talked to a guy at Sherwin Williams and he didn't recommend satin paint finishes because he said they can't be clear coated. He suggested a semi gloss paint job instead. He also said you have to wash satin paint jobs with special soap? Obviously satin paint finishes are probably not something he would see frequently maybe? Can anybody set me straight? I was hoping to do jeep rescue green in a satin finish. But I suppose I would want to see it before I would paint the whole truck. (Since I have only seen it in a regular finish.)

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My heap came to me with bodywork done and lacquer primer. Someday I'll strip it down but for now I have some gloss black lacquer kicking around, I think I'll shoot it with that, color sand it and drive it like that.

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've done it with a black base coat with no clear and with a base coat clear coat with a flattening agent. No question the clear coat is the way to go. Much more durable. My 62 Impala wagon (below) all the satin black except the hood is Limco 3 a BASF product base coat with no clear. Limco 3 is a good product which goes for $18.50 a quart. The hardener costs more then the paint. After having some damage to the hood it was repainted with a Sikkens base coat and clear with a flattening agent. No one could ever detect a difference between the hood and the rest of the car. Its been on there a few years and has held up great. I wash it with regular car wash soap and use spray detailer to keep it clean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  21. fleetside66

fleetside66

Here's my driveway painted shop truck, which was done with Blitz Black. One of the nice things is that you can get it in rattle cans, too. This shot was probably taken about six years ago & the paint has really held up well. I used the truck today to haul a pile brush to the muncher.

[​IMG]

22. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

My 64 Belair was satin black. You wash satin paint jobs with simple dish soap, a clean sponge, warm water, and that's it. No polish, no work. Very easy to maintain. It's great.

If you want to get fancy, mothers sells a special "satin paint finish detailing product", but I would just stick with some good ole Palmolive :)

23. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ask him what the visual difference is between "Satin" and "Semi-gloss" once its been applied to the car.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Obviously your SW rep knows NOTHING about satin paint...my bro and I scuffed 6 year old industrial primer, on the Cadillac below, and sprayed satin clear...it's now been on 4 years...we run it thru quarter car washes, using their soap and it takes bugs and dirt off real well...when at home, we use Dawn dishwashing soap, a sponge and rinse with plain water and then wipe it down with old towels...nothing affects it.

R-

[​IMG]

25. As far as satin verses semi-gloss the visual deference is the satin is more of a eggshells finish,,the semi gloss has a slight shine. HRP

26. MrWatts

MrWatts

27. ive shot sem...hotrodflatz...dupont...all are great...personally..id shoot flat black and satin clear...
    ppg..dupont..all make good clear ..some need flattening agent..can even choose amount of gloss...

28. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

John Deere Blitz.