Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID truck straight axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by darkk, Oct 21, 2013.

1. darkk

darkk

I have a 46 Ford 1/2 ton with a 3" lowered, rebuilt straight axle. How do I determine what year the axle is. I don't know if it's the original axle to the truck and I'd like to install a disc brake kit. Also, I need help locating offset tie rod ends and new rods,arms etc. Seems like most places jump from 41 up to 48 and ship the 42-47 trucks. Not sure what is and isn't the same front suspension wise.

Attached Files:

2. Well,it's a axle but certainly not a straight axle.

It has the Ford backing plate and looks like a original Ford truck axle that has been dropped at some time in the past.

All said and done, it looks like it is original to the truck,BTW the original brakes work fine. HRP

3. darkk

darkk

The reason for the possible brake upgrade is I will be dropping in a really nice 650+HP 388 sbc that I have had left over from a previous car swap. I don't have another engine and don't plan on building another one. I know my driving habits won't change much so I figured for $300-$400 in extra braking power sure isn't going to hurt anything. Since this isn't my normal style build I'll probably drown you guys in questions like a noobie.....Any power steering boxes fit relatively easy in these trucks? Keeping the straight axle.

4. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

It looks like a 46-47 Ford pickup axle. The 46-47 Ford pickup has the same spindles as the 42-48 Ford car. The brakes that fit the 37-48 car spindles will fit right on those spindles.

www.droppedaxles.com