Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Almquist carb adapter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dsiddons, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I'm to poor to buy a real intake speed equipment? I have been looking for a opportunity to get one of these for a while and finally got one. Uncool is now cool. Is this rare or semi rare? Can't find many pics of these types of things. My next will be the cast Champion heads. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382065931.498543.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. I haven't been able to find an original one yet, i will likely end up using one of the Vintage Speed (Charlie Price) carb adapters. I think they look neat and different to the usual twin / triple manifold.

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I remember hearing older guys make fun of them. Said they were just a cheap addition that never created horsepower. I bet they are rare because they don't really help. I always liked the look of them.

4. Almost anything Almquist is pretty rare. I try and capture bits from them when I can, lately for me it has been breathers, I have two pair that I run on 2 different engines (valve in head).

You will find nay sayers for any and all of the adapters that made multi carb intakes from single carb intakes. Even the sling shot has its nay sayers. That said they are a part of hot rodding history and whether they worked well or not they can and maybe should be a prt of a traditiobnal period car.

No doubt that we could go into all the reasons and theory why it won't work or that there are better alternatives but the truth is that like I said they are a genuine piece of hot rod history and should be viewed as such.

Ok off the box,
    Next!!!

5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I had the Tardel adapter on a previous build and loved the look. Always wanted the Almquist. Looking down in it, the cast is pretty rough. Probably produces less power advantage. Hahaha ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382099967.756460.jpg

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I remember dirive this and being able to see the air cleaners. It made me smile..

7. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Ohhh That would look nice with my Almquist heads!

[​IMG]

V8-m, skatermann and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Got a dual carb intake laying around? Maybe you guys can work a trade. If the adapters are really rare maybe it's worth as much as an intake? One for one swap, everybody's happy.

9. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Good idea! I do have a D&S 2X2 intake for a 59AB. dsiddons, let me know if you are interested.

10. Andamo

Andamo

It may not be efficient, but it sure as pegs the Kewl-As-Hell meter.

11. Well I don't know you but I already don' like you. :D:D

How freakin' cool is that I have only seen one set of Almquist heads in my entire life and they were on an old flathead racers car way back in the '70s.

12. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Haha Porknbeaner, i jumped on these a couple months ago at a swap meet. You'll probably hate me more if you knew what I paid! :eek:

They were pretty ugly when I bought them!
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. S.F.

S.F.

thats cool, the original run of Almquist dual carb adaptors were mispelled, they read "Almqiust" (the U and I were switched) no one has been able to tell me exactly how many were made like that; but they had already been cast and finished before anyone noticed; so they sold them anyway! Ive seen one in person on a guys car, and he didnt even know it. I made his day!

14. alchemy

alchemy

I think they peg the Funny-as-Hell meter. Right up there with those little impeller superchargers you could sandwich between the carb base and the intake. Probably only add a hundred horsepower.

Why spend $150 on a piece of equipment that doesn't work, when you could find a real vintage dual carb intake for $250?

A little side story: I had bought one of these Y adapters (Speed Gems brand) as a vintage curiosity about 30 years ago. Ten years ago I used to sell lots of stuff on Ebay, and noticed arm-chair hot rodders paying big bucks for the adapters. I listed and sold my $3 adapter to Charlie Price of Vintage Speed for $300. I laughed all the way to the bank. A short while later he has changed the lettering on the side and is producing his own version of these things.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  15. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We ran an original mis-spelled almquist (without the U) for a couple of years on our 32 3w then had to pull the old single carb manifold and found poor fuel distribution near the ports , there were signs of fuel pooling . We loved the look of the almquist adapter but have now fitted an eddie Meyer and it seems smoother and has longer legs also.

16. You are I probably would not use one, but neither of us would expect much from multiple carbs on a stock engine either.

Ya know Mr Edelbrock sold one helluva lot of sling shots back in the day. Perhaps they flowed better because of the design but the end of the day it was the same basic problem, trying to jam more air into the little stock plenum that it would hold.

A lot of what we (we being a generalization here) do, has to do with looks; 6 carbs on a 283 ( only 2 hooked up), 3 carbs on a flathead or even a flathead for that matter when there are so many better choices. I could go on for hours or any one of us can just compile our own list.

To some perhaps like Alchemy and myself the 2 carbs into on hole adapter is not going to look like performance, buit to some who don't know it is going to make it look a lot faster and to others way older then myself it is going to be one of those, "hey I remember those things" sort of a deal and make a smile come across their face. Maybe it is all just a matter of perspective.

Damn back up on the box.
    Sorry fellas

warbird1 likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Edelbrock's plenum was a lot more than the two small holes in a Ford intake. He had his four upper runners ram into four lower runners, which then spread to the eight ports. LOTS different than the goofy funnels celebrated in this thread.

The thing I don't get is why guys would buy the adapters nowadays, when a nice, real live, vintage dual carb intake can be had for not much (if any) more money than the Y adapter costs.

If guys like them because they were the hot ticket for a small town joker in 1955, how come we don't see cars with jeweled mud flaps and light-up-eye donkey hood ornaments?

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

So when you run these things, do you use progressive linkage and if so which carb is primary. Just by looking at the fluid dynamics of the thing, it is easy to see that being bolted to the single barrel intake, that no matter what you put on top of it, the limit of the flow is the amount of air that will be allowed through the two hole in the manifold. So essentially you are drawing half of the air through each of the two carbs, as would be draw through one. And with carbs being analog devices the air flow determines how much fuel will be sucked through into the mix. So are these a case of 1 plus 1 equals more than one or 1/2 plus 1/2 equals one with a bit better fuel atomization?

19. Mark T

Mark T

I had one these Y adapters made by Ansen a few years ago. I knew I'd never use it so I sold it on Ebay, believe it or not it sold for over $860. Shortly after it sold someone was reproducing it without the Ansen name on it.

20. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Because everyone has a damn multicarb intake that also does nothing for HP. If I wanted HP I would have just bought a AMG.and isn't Charlie laughing all the way to the bank? You made 300$ imagine what he made? And what's a armchair hot Rodder? Haven't heard that one yet. My build is more of a school boy attemp anyway. So I been trying not to let it get away from that. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382146110.454027.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Corsa, 1927graham and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I had the Tardel one in the past and loved the look. I blocked off one and just ran the other. It ran good and looked cool. I thought anyway..

22. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Now them are cool. Yes it would. I like the oddball stuff you don't see all the time. Champion made some cast heads that are damn neat to

23. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry but this sounds a little lame to me. The twins add visual HP anyway, so it's no drama to run them as duals and reduce jet size. For goodness sake dont bother thinking about running duals in a progressive format too much work for what??? The Y adapter doesn't really atomise well and distribute fuel that great so if you need to run a Y adapter this a factor you will have to live with.
    Anyway it's not how fast you look , it's how you look goin fast.

24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i realised they didnt miss out the '"U" on Almquist they spelt it wrong on originals.
    My old Y adapter spelt ALMQIUST >>

Attached Files:

25. S.F.

S.F.

Yep! That's what I was talking about! So cool, so rare. (That's 2 that I've seen now)

26. titus

titus

I have one too, im pretty sure someone not long ago did a run of the ones with the name spelled wrong, mine is just way way way to nice to be vintage.

Ill get some pics tomorrow

27. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Does anybody here know if Mr. Almquist is still around? This post reminded me that I sold one of these adaptors on an Ebay auction a few years ago. The high bidder was a bank officer with PNC bank in Pittsburgh. He told me that he was in negotiations with Ed Almquist to buy the rights to all of his speed equipment and he was anxious to start remaking parts. I haven't heard anything about it since.

28. Andamo

Andamo

As off 2011 he was alive and inducted into the Drag Racing Hall of Fame in Florida.

29. S.F.

S.F.

[taps foot quietly]

30. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

I've got a Vintage Speed version of one of these on my flatty.

Doesn't mean I'll run it forever, not that I'm even close to driving mine :rolleyes:, but it looks cool, and I could afford it. :cool:

Besides, look at this old advertisement! Saves gas, lengthens engine life, reduces driving fatigue, increases motor efficiency..... who wouldn't want one? :D

Pete

Attached Files: